Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #101
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well it will be big. Just long. So 22x32. 700ish sq ft. I should have lots of storage/workshop in front of the vehicles.

I don't want to go any wider as it will block the view from our only kitchen window. I don't want to be looking at a big garage. If I go any longer than 32 ft the angle gets tough to get past the house.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #102
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally got my building permit today. I was stalled out for a long time becuase the engineer for the pad was taking his sweet time, and made a few mistakes.

Anyone have any recommendations for concrete companies? I'd like to get a few estimates for what will be the single most expensive part of the job.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #103
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I don't have any recommendations for specific companies as I am not in the area, but for concrete don't cheap out. I've seen a number of crappy driveways and garage pads from friends who were trying to save money. This is not the step to save money, pay someone and pay them well to do a good job. My builder must have went with cheap trades because my garage floor is already pocking just a year later. My driveway I paid good money for though and it looks pristine still.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #104
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, the trick is knowing if they are good, short of going to a bunch of places to inspect their work. I'll be watching like a hawk to make sure they follow the engineered drawings and 5" pad thickness once I agree on someone. They won't be shorting me the required concrete!
Old 07-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #105
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, the trick is knowing if they are good, short of going to a bunch of places to inspect their work. I'll be watching like a hawk to make sure they follow the engineered drawings and 5" pad thickness once I agree on someone. They won't be shorting me the required concrete!
In my experience, the best companies will have references supplied before you even have to ask. The company I went with had about a 100 examples I could go look at, I went and looked at about a dozen in my neighbourhood and even knocked on some of the peoples doors in the early evening to ask their opinion of the contractor.

Helped me make a decision when I was down to two, one came back a lot more positive.

I'm not sure what a pad costs, but my driveway is quite large and I got them to do a lot of extras like a 80 foot walkway along the one side, more on the other side for my garbage cans, at the end of the day I think I was into it for almost 10k and I wanted to make sure that investment was sound. Because again, like any trade, there are so many crappy companies out there. Especially in Western Canada as well our Driveways take a lot of abuse from the weather and road clearing salts.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 07-10-2017 at 01:42 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #106
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

i wanna hang with sliver. ####.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #107
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Finally got my building permit today. I was stalled out for a long time becuase the engineer for the pad was taking his sweet time, and made a few mistakes.

Anyone have any recommendations for concrete companies? I'd like to get a few estimates for what will be the single most expensive part of the job.
All time on time has done work for me in the past, and they're great.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #108
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Progress, finally! My pad date just got bumped up, so they should start digging monday, and be done by the weekend. Electrical is going to be a pain to sort out.

Hopefully the Rona guy gets my changes to the package sorted today and I can order it soonish, as it is a 2 week wait.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #109
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mwahahahaha it begins!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #110
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

progress!

The back wall is done, gravel filled in, conduit installed....

they should crib the rest in today and rebar, and pour the pad on Thursday. Standing in the space it looks....large. This is gonna be awesome!

I've got the trusses ordered, and I just need to clarify with the city if I must have an engineered beam over the door or not. It's $1500 so I'd really rather not...Build date is hopefully August 12th.

Last edited by Fuzz; 08-01-2017 at 07:33 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #111
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

progress!

The back wall is done, gravel filled in, conduit installed....

they should crib the rest in today and rebar, and pour the pad on Thursday. Standing in the space it looks....large. This is gonna be awesome!

I've got the trusses ordered, and I just need to clarify with the city if I must have an engineered beam over the door or not. It's $1500 so I'd really rather not...Build date is hopefully August 12th.

get an LVL beam, how big is your door?
Old 08-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #112
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, the Rona guy totally screwed up. I spent 2 days looking at engineering specs and talking to people on ideas of if 2x12's would be good enough. Called the truss company this morning and found out it was only $250. The Rona guy read the wrong line on the screen. Sigh. So I've got everything ordered now except siding. Final concrete pour tomorrow!

Last edited by Fuzz; 08-02-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #113
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Make sure your conduit is coming out nice and straight too, concrete guys generally don't care about that. If you're able to be there for the pour you can adjust it a bit if needed. Also are both of those conduit for regular power? If not you may want to space them apart a foot or 2 or else you'll have a ####ty time trying to get them in different boxes (new electrical panel and whatever box you're using for data cabling if that's what it's for).
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #114
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I sent him an email last night asking him to try to brace them. I'll hopefully be around later this afternoon, so I can keep an eye on it. There are actually 3 conduit runs, 1x 2"(power), and 2x 1 1/4". They have a bit of a gap, but unfortunately wasn't quite as much as I wanted. I should be able to make it work though. The power is the important one.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #115
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giggity!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #116
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know a good gas fitter who isn't swamped doing air conditioners right now?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:07 AM   #117
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it was about 11.5m³ of concrete, roughly 50 000 pounds. I've done my part for the environment with this concrete emitting around 2500kg's of CO2. Go me!
Old 08-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #118
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm literally so jelly of your garage that I dreamed I was building my own garage. Then I realized I don't have a back lane and I woke up.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #119
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just tunnel under your house.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #120
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My garage arrived!
Spoiler!

Still need the trusses next week, but we are going to get the walls up tomorrow and Sunday. I've got the gas line in(thanks to a CP PM that got me a quick gas fitter), hopefully to be inspected today. Once the walls are up the electrician is going to get the power underground and the panel in the garage. Enmax will probably be by the following week to finalize the connection. Things are happening!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:

Tags
diy , garage , oh ####