Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #101
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
The Calgary Stampeders have signed national offensive lineman Dan Federkeil.

The 33-year-old Medicine Hat native has spent the past four seasons with the Stamps, making a total of 42 starts at right tackle. He has also played in three playoff games and two Grey Cups with the Red and White and was a member of the Stamps’ 2014 championship team.

http://www.stampeders.com/2017/02/17...ack-red-white/
Really good news, as far as linemen goes he's one of the most technically perfect linemen in the CFL and a good tackle if he can stay healthy. I'm happy to have him back.

I don't think Glenn Love has signed anywhere yet.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #102
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Really good news, as far as linemen goes he's one of the most technically perfect linemen in the CFL and a good tackle if he can stay healthy. I'm happy to have him back.

I don't think Glenn Love has signed anywhere yet.
Just this afternoon Love and Bakari Grant signed with the Riders.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #103
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

meh, Grant is no loss, he couldn't make catches under pressure.

I really liked Love, I don't think he's anything more then a decent backup and good special teams player with some nice speed.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #104
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cote is back!

The Calgary Stampeders have signed fullback Rob Cote.

The 30-year-old Cochrane product is the longest-serving Stamp on the current roster, having joined the club in 2007. He has played 164 career regular-season games for the Red and White and also appeared in 11 playoff contests and three Grey Cups.

“Rob is one of the true leaders of our team,” said Stampeders head coach Dave Dickenson. “He had another strong season in 2016 and we’re counting on him to continue being an important contributor to our success.”

http://www.stampeders.com/2017/02/18...stays-calgary/
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #105
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm a bit surprised, I mean I'm a huge fan of Cote, I own one of his jerseys, and when I designed my bantam offense this year I had a full back to tight end and full back to slot motion package so I could use him in the seams like Cote.

But I thought that guys like Langlais and Charlie Power would be pushed into that spot.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #106
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Riders will be much better. They're my most hated team as long as Jones is there but he's stocking up. I hope he's overspending but they'll take a run at the playoffs.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #107
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I think the Riders will be much better. They're my most hated team as long as Jones is there but he's stocking up. I hope he's overspending but they'll take a run at the playoffs.
Honestly, he's made a lot of signings but they're to me with the exception of Bone Crusher pretty meh depth players. They don't have much at running back, their QB spot will definitely be in flux especially if Glenn is their starter. Their o-line will be ok, but I wouldn't take their o-line over Calgary's BC's or Edmonton right now. Defensively they were a train wreck last year, and while it might improve, it will still be not great.

Chris Jones isn't a great coach, he's a good coach when he joins a team that's built and ready to be elite, but he showed last year that he makes bafflingly stupid calls and their offensive and defensive schemes were horrible. Their Canadian depth is better then last year but that's not saying much.

I don't even know if a cross over is anything that they can aspire to. Montreal will be a lot better if DD can play the full season and their biggest problem last year was with QB, but they have one of the better defenses in the league. Ottawa is going to be very strong and Hamilton still has the makings of a good team. The only team in worse shape right now is really Toronto.

Lets be honest, the Riders aren't anywhere near Calgary or Edmonton right now. I think that Winnipeg will probably be better then the Riders, and BC has lost a lot of talent, but they should be offensively better this year.

In the East Ottawa, Montreal and Hamilton will all probably be better.

At the end of the day, I think they're a 6 win team and if that happens its likely that Murph and Jones will be asked to leave.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:09 PM   #108
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ my hate runs deep so I hope you're right. I expect them to sign Shakir Bell and that will fill the RB hole.until he gets hurt. I don't know what they'll do at QB. I just think they'll be much improved and they'll languish in the cellar again.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #109
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Trust me my friend, by this time next year Chris Jones will be finishing his Primerica training and making cold calls to kick start his new career as he's finally flushed out of the CFL.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #110
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Honestly, he's made a lot of signings but they're to me with the exception of Bone Crusher pretty meh depth players. They don't have much at running back, their QB spot will definitely be in flux especially if Glenn is their starter. Their o-line will be ok, but I wouldn't take their o-line over Calgary's BC's or Edmonton right now. Defensively they were a train wreck last year, and while it might improve, it will still be not great.

Chris Jones isn't a great coach, he's a good coach when he joins a team that's built and ready to be elite, but he showed last year that he makes bafflingly stupid calls and their offensive and defensive schemes were horrible. Their Canadian depth is better then last year but that's not saying much.

I don't even know if a cross over is anything that they can aspire to. Montreal will be a lot better if DD can play the full season and their biggest problem last year was with QB, but they have one of the better defenses in the league. Ottawa is going to be very strong and Hamilton still has the makings of a good team. The only team in worse shape right now is really Toronto.

Lets be honest, the Riders aren't anywhere near Calgary or Edmonton right now. I think that Winnipeg will probably be better then the Riders, and BC has lost a lot of talent, but they should be offensively better this year.

In the East Ottawa, Montreal and Hamilton will all probably be better.

At the end of the day, I think they're a 6 win team and if that happens its likely that Murph and Jones will be asked to leave.
True, the Riders are busy signing free agents namely Stamps free agent but they don't have a QB. If they rely on Kevin Glenn, I really think they will be in last place in the West again and Rider fans will be screaming for Chris Jones' head by the midseason. Derek Dennis was a good signing for them but Dennis won't have the luxury of playing with versatile OLine like in Calgary. OLine as a group made Dennis good last season. Stamps been there before losing an OLine and they usually plugged one in. We have some young OLine that we lost due to injuries last season that might be back the whole season.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #111
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

hmmmmm

Steve Lloyd @TSNSteveLloyd
Hearing the RedBlacks have acquired QB Drew Tate from Calgary. @TSN1200 #CFL
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #112
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Insurance policy for Trevor Harris? Makes sense... I wonder what kind of salary he's making these days...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #113
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Makes sense and gets the Stamps out from the March Bonus, it also makes sure that he doesn't show up in Rider ville.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #114
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's official
"UPDATE: @REDBLACKS acquire QB Drew Tate from the @calstampeders for a 2018 5th-round pick (via @TSNDaveNaylor & @TSNSteveLloyd) #CFL"
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #115
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

David William Naylor ✔ @TSNDaveNaylor
Can confirm the Ottawa Redblacks have acquired quarterback Drew Tate in exchange for a 5th-round pick in 2018. #cfl #stamps #redblacks
Old 02-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #116
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess this means Andrew Buckley and Mitchell Gale will battle for the backup role behind Bo Levi Mitchell. I wonder who will take over for Tate as far as the holder on FG attempts is concerned?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #117
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I wouldn't' be surprised to see the Stamps bringing in one more QB for training camp. That seems to be their MO.

I would expect that Gale will be the field goal holder guy while Buckley will run short yardage.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #118
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved Tate as a player, wish he had more success as a QB here in Calgary but you never heard him complain publicly about his playing time or anything. Seems like a real solid dude as well.

Wish him all the best in Ottawa!
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #119
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

After the last Grey Cup win, Tate partied in his Stamps uniform and equipment for most of the night because he didn't want to take it off.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #120
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a hell of a trade for Ottawa. A fifth-rounder is not much for a guy of that calibre. I'm glad he's not going to Saskatchewan.

However if will save Calgary some cap space, which is good for them.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 02-21-2017 at 01:55 PM.