Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #1981
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

While the new contract for the gaffer is vexing, I'm still over the moon about Saturday. The quality of our performance, the quality of the company around me and all for a cup final at Wembley. It truly was one of the greatest days of my life.

Spoiler!
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 03:40 PM   #1982
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
So many questions:

What was Patrick Stewart doing there?

Can you imagine your miss costing the team $500 M?

Why do they still call it a "penalty" when there were no penalties involved?

Does Huddersfield have to move to a larger stadium?

http://www.bardown.com/this-penalty-...gland-1.764680

So just how much is a promotion into the Premier League actually worth? According to Sky Sports, Huddersfield will see an increase in revenue of at least $293 million (£170 million), a figure that would potentially rise to $500 million (£290 million) if the team were to survive relegation in their first season in the top flight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huddersfield_Town_A.F.C.

Patrick Stewart is from Mirfield which is just outside Huddersfield. He was for many years the Chancellor of The University of Huddersfield, where I spent 4 fantastic years.

The stadium holds over 24000 and is one of the more modern facilities in England with great sight lines throughout.

For the size of the town, that is sufficient, even with PL football.

I can't imagine ever imagine anything I do ever being worth $500m.

I suspect it is called a penalty shootout because the kicks are from the penalty spot.

Also, fun fact of the day: Huddersfield Town have won the League Title more times than Tottenham.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #1983
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Patrick Stewart is from Mirfield which is just outside Huddersfield. He was for many years the Chancellor of The University of Huddersfield, where I spent 4 fantastic years.

The stadium holds over 24000 and is one of the more modern facilities in England with great sight lines throughout.

For the size of the town, that is sufficient, even with PL football.

I can't imagine ever imagine anything I do ever being worth $500m.

I suspect it is called a penalty shootout because the kicks are from the penalty spot.

Also, fun fact of the day: Huddersfield Town have won the League Title more times than Tottenham.
That's OK, the most fun fact today is still that you have two more years of Wenger!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #1984
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
That's OK, the most fun fact today is still that you have two more years of Wenger!

Maybe by then he'll have won the FA Cup more times than Spurs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 06:20 PM   #1985
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Every dark cloud has a silver lining?

But seriously, I wonder if they can keep Sanchez or whether he's off? I think Ozil is going, but that's likely addition by subtraction at this point. Interesting times though.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:50 PM   #1986
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Maybe by then he'll have won the FA Cup more times than Spurs.
Was that the first time Arsenal won the FA cup on Spurs home ground?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 10:44 PM   #1987
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I know is that 5th place and FA Cup got LVG sacked a year ago, but instead Wenger got a two year extension.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:05 PM   #1988
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All I know is that 5th place and FA Cup got LVG sacked a year ago, but instead Wenger got a two year extension.
and United got worse and ended up 6th this year. Maybe Mourinho should be sacked?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:23 AM   #1989
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2016/2017 THE Premier League Thread

I'm against the contract renewal. Pretty strongly so.

However, I've been saying for years, I'll take a real trophy over his fourth place one.

I remember growing up in Calgary and only ever seeing two live English games a year; the Milk Cup and the FA Cup. Seeing Arsenal win the FA Cup in 79, the year I met Pat Jennings made me an Arsenal fan for life.

Football should be about winning trophies and competing for them. When money gets involved, that often gets lost, and the English game has seen that more than most. So I'll take Saturday over being a league also-ran and remember how I felt as a 10 year old when my team and my new hero won the Cup.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:28 AM   #1990
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
and United got worse and ended up 6th this year. Maybe Mourinho should be sacked?
Spurs fans grasping at straws.

They've made the CL two years in a row and feel they've arrived. Yet when they tell their kids all about the Poch/Levy glory years and are asked what they won the best they'll be able to muster is a single NL trophy and a net spend cup.

History will record they've won nothing.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:03 AM   #1991
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course Spurs fans are excited and optimistic. We have the youngest team in the league, have been the only legitimate challenger for the title two years in a row and are showing excellent year over year improvement. You can make fun of the net spend all you want, but they (along with what 14-15 others) just don't have the enormous money to throw around in the transfer market. Rather than buying players who are proven and cost huge sums of money they've had to scout and develop. It's worked out and its fun to watch.

They're also playing attractive football and not just sitting back parking the bus. At times that has worked against them, but most of the time its been great.

I've said before that Spurs do need to win some silverware to the cabinet. I said that after the League Cup that this was something that would've been great just to teach the players how to win. I think those days are coming though. It's pretty widely recognized that the way they're playing and trending that they should win some trophies though.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:09 AM   #1992
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Spurs fans grasping at straws.

They've made the CL two years in a row and feel they've arrived. Yet when they tell their kids all about the Poch/Levy glory years and are asked what they won the best they'll be able to muster is a single NL trophy and a net spend cup.

History will record they've won nothing.
Lol, the smack coming from a team that spends more than the combined GDP of several countries on an annual basis and can still only muster a 6th place finish is pretty cute.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:15 AM   #1993
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

You Spurs fans have every right to be excited.

Still find it funny that Wenger gets slaughtered all the time while people are fawning over Spurs. I mean, the things that Spurs get praised for (top 4 finish, attractive football) is what Wenger has been delivering for 20 years, plus he actually wins some silverware every other year and doesn't spend gazillions of pounds like the Manchester clubs. I agree that Arsenal could do with a fresh start, but man, the Wenger criticism sometimes just gets ridiculous.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 08:19 AM   #1994
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Lol, the smack coming from a team that spends more than the combined GDP of several countries on an annual basis and can still only muster a 6th place finish is pretty cute.
Can't hear you with a League Cup, and Europa Cup in each ear.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 08:25 AM   #1995
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
You Spurs fans have every right to be excited.

Still find it funny that Wenger gets slaughtered all the time while people are fawning over Spurs. I mean, the things that Spurs get praised for (top 4 finish, attractive football) is what Wenger has been delivering for 20 years, plus he actually wins some silverware every other year and doesn't spend gazillions of pounds like the Manchester clubs. I agree that Arsenal could do with a fresh start, but man, the Wenger criticism sometimes just gets ridiculous.
Yeah I don't entirely disagree, but they're stagnant now. So while the fans really should be a little more grateful for him and what he has done for the club, supporters of others are going to enjoy their demise. That's just sports. I'm sure you enjoyed watching Pep go from "having the PL all figured out" in the fall to seeing some adversity as the year went on?
Old 05-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #1996
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

because Pep is an asshat. I actually respect Wenger.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:31 AM   #1997
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
because Pep is an asshat. I actually respect Wenger.
If personality is a factor than I would love to hear your thoughts on Mourinho!
Old 05-31-2017, 08:34 AM   #1998
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If personality is a factor than I would love to hear your thoughts on Mourinho!
I'll never be a fan of him. I think his man management of certain players has been questionable and the public slaying of players pisses me off. He whines a bit too much, though that has been overstated a bit IMO.

He's comfortably the best United manager since Fergie in every aspect though and I'm fine with him in charge. In contrast to his two predecessors, he seems to at least "get" the club.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:35 AM   #1999
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Haha. And there it is, as predicted, the net spend cup is produced.
If you want to talk on an annual basis can we talk titles?

Last edited by Bagor; 05-31-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:01 PM   #2000
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man United have rejected a £60m offer from Real for DDG, according to Sky.

That's actually a higher opening offer than I expected from them. Probably still £30m short or so, but hey, it's a long summer.

EDIT: denied by Ducker (Telegraph) and Crafton (Mail/close to DDG). Sky really are a joke nowadays.

Last edited by devo22; 05-31-2017 at 03:55 PM.