Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #161
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
I'm planning on buying Settler's of Catan. I've never played it, but I know I'll enjoy it. My question is, what should I buy for an expansion set? I see you can only have up to 4 players with the regular game, but if you buy one of the three expansion packs, you can play with 5-6 players.

Seafarers
Cities and Knights
or
Regular Expansion

Is there a big difference in the expansion packs?
There is a different 5-6 extension for each expansion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Catan_products

Published by Kosmos in 1995, Settlers of Catan is the first of the Catan game series. The original game is expanded upon by expansions and extensions: the former adds new gameplay to Settlers, while the latter adds the ability to add two more players to the game, creating a game for six players. The 5-6 player extension of the base game itself was released in 1996. As of 2008, there are three expansions to Settlers, adding new gameplay to the core game, and each expansion has a matching extension. Gameplay for 5-6 players with expansions require the extensions for both the base game and the expansion(s) involved.

Most games seem to involve 4 or less players, so I would get the Seafarers expansion first. I think the best Settlers game is Settlers Of The Stone Age.

Last edited by troutman; 02-21-2012 at 03:32 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #162
Hatter
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPlayoffs06 View Post
Could not agree more. Some of the new dungeon-crawling games are more in depth, but HeroQuest is easy to teach, easy to play, and there at least used to be a semi-active online presence for additional content. Love this game!
Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #163
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
There is a different 5-6 add-on for each expansion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Catan_products

Published by Kosmos in 1995, Settlers of Catan is the first of the Catan game series. The original game is expanded upon by expansions and extensions: the former adds new gameplay to Settlers, while the latter adds the ability to add two more players to the game, creating a game for six players. The 5-6 player extension of the base game itself was released in 1996. As of 2008, there are three expansions to Settlers, adding new gameplay to the core game, and each expansion has a matching extension. Gameplay for 5-6 players with expansions require the extensions for both the base game and the expansion(s) involved.
Aah, I see. Interesting. Thanks.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #164
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Soap for geeks (if you have been to Sentry Box, you will understand the need):

http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/g/geeksoap
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #165
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #166
Hilch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You have to buy 5-6 player expansions, don't do it! It slows the game down so much I actually won't play anymore unless it's 3-4 people because it goes quicker.

Cities and Knights is a stand alone game, doesn't expand on regular Catan. Seafarers on the other hand can be added on to regular Catan and just add Boats to the game. Just a different variation of the game.

Settlers of The Stone Age & Cities and Knights are the best Catan games IMO. But start with regular Catan to learn the basic rules before going into other ones.
Hilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #167
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilch View Post
You have to buy 5-6 player expansions, don't do it! It slows the game down so much I actually won't play anymore unless it's 3-4 people because it goes quicker.

Cities and Knights is a stand alone game, doesn't expand on regular Catan. Seafarers on the other hand can be added on to regular Catan and just add Boats to the game. Just a different variation of the game.

Settlers of The Stone Age & Cities and Knights are the best Catan games IMO. But start with regular Catan to learn the basic rules before going into other ones.
5-6 players is fine because you trade, and Cities & Knights is not Standalone... you need the base game.

I'd say start with regular Settlers, then add 5-6 players if you think you need it. The others are really only necessary if you want more variety, but I like vanilla settlers just fine.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #168
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played WizWars last night. Not a big fan, although the cards were pretty funny for the most part.

I played Ra last week. I got a kick out of it. A little light, but it was good fun.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #169
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't find 5-6 players that bad. You can build after every person's turn, so if people know what they're doing the game can go extremely fast.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #170
Hilch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
5-6 players is fine because you trade, and Cities & Knights is not Standalone... you need the base game.

I'd say start with regular Settlers, then add 5-6 players if you think you need it. The others are really only necessary if you want more variety, but I like vanilla settlers just fine.
Was just coming to change that. I forgot you need the pieces from Catan. We have put all our Settlers stuff into one box so I forget sometimes what is needed for what.

5-6 player is fine when people know what they are doing but I have found too many times it slows the game down because of the building phase after every roll. I'd only play 5-6 players with people that know what they are doing else it becomes too painful. IMO
Hilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #171
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently bought 7 Wonders, played it maybe 5-6 times and I'm ready to highly recommend it.

It's a game for 2-7 players, lasts about 30-45 minutes depending on the players, a little longer for the two player version. The 2 player version is btw pretty good, which is rare IMO.

It's quite casual and the basics are simple to learn/teach. There's a good bit of luck, but it's still strategic enough that it actually makes for quite a good game.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #172
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been playing Puerto Rico quite a bit lately and I've gotta say it's probably one of my favourites along with Power Grid and Agricola.
malcolmk14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #173
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Sorry, Uno (even though its not a board game) and Monopoly where my favorites growing up. Two years ago back in school me and my friends played Monopoly all the time, we got literally obsessed with the game that the girls around us sighed out loud every time we pulled the box from the shelf.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #174
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wil Wheaton has been doing a great little webseries on board game reviews called Tabletop:

So far I've watched Setters of Catan, Small World and Ticket to Ride all of which are very well done.

Last edited by Coys1882; 05-24-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #175
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I recently bought 7 Wonders, played it maybe 5-6 times and I'm ready to highly recommend it.

It's a game for 2-7 players, lasts about 30-45 minutes depending on the players, a little longer for the two player version. The 2 player version is btw pretty good, which is rare IMO.

It's quite casual and the basics are simple to learn/teach. There's a good bit of luck, but it's still strategic enough that it actually makes for quite a good game.
I've only played it once. How is the balance between the different wonders?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #176
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a cool game for the programmers out there. Basically get cards and you have to create a program with those cards to move your robot to different waypoints. There are certain complications thrown in that can inhibit your movement or how your program executes.

Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #177
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Game of Thrones, Catan, Pandemic
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2012, 01:10 AM   #178
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I've only played it once. How is the balance between the different wonders?
They are pretty balanced. I usually play a mixture of sides A and B and haven't found anything unbalanced.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #179
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoy Cranium and occasioanlly Scattegories
Old 05-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #180
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Picked up Le Havre, looks interesting. From the same person who created Agricola I believe.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote