Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-05-2017, 10:29 AM   #21
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Yes but 98% of the content on those channels are not 4k, only certain shows/events are UHD. There is some UHD on demand on telus as well.
Of course. But key live events typically would be. And will be more and more, going forward. I don't need SportsCenter to be in UHD.

And good to hear that there is also some on demand in UHD as well.

My frustration with Shaw is their complete lack of interest in pushing the envelope and improving the service. "You want UHD? We'll give it to you when we damn well feel like it - now shut up and pay your bill."
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:29 AM   #22
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Is this new? Because the last time I checked, I don't think they did.

Or, I could have just totally ####ed up.
they do, and telus has new 4k pvrs with huge hd's and 4k wireless boxes.

i dont have a 4k tv yet because outside live sports, theres very little 4k content. that will be changing tho as the number of 4k tv owners is going up dramatically now.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #23
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
they do, and telus has new 4k pvrs with huge hd's and 4k wireless boxes.

i dont have a 4k tv yet because outside live sports, theres very little 4k content. that will be changing tho as the number of 4k tv owners is going up dramatically now.
Okay that settles it. They didn't have those last time I looked. Will be calling Telus the moment I get back home.

And as for 4K programming, there is lots of it on Netflix and HBO. The picture quality on some of the shows they are producing is worth the new TV all on its own.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #24
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Okay that settles it. They didn't have those last time I looked. Will be calling Telus the moment I get back home.

And as for 4K programming, there is lots of it on Netflix and HBO. The picture quality on some of the shows they are producing is worth the new TV all on its own.
Netflix and HBO compress the UHD content but not to the extent that telus compresses theirs. Last I noticed only Blue Jays games and a few HNIC games were 4k. Everything else has been 1080p that I have watched but i don't spend all day watching tv so i probably miss a lot. 70GB per hour for 4k content with HEVC compression means 100GB an hour for less compressed feeds like h264. Bandwidth is there for 4k on both Shaw and Telus but the programming availability isn't yet. I would imagine in a few years that will change however.

My suggestion is go with what will give you the best performance and price right now without locking into a contract or buying the hardware. Telus's current hardware cannot decompress H265 (I have read this is online so it might not be true) and that will be the new compression standard for 4k. Shaw's current hardware does 1080p, it ends there.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #25
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

To answer the OP's question... They both suck and you're basically screwed either way. Whichever one you choose you will eventually hate. Then you'll switch to the other one and come to hate it more. Rinse and repeat every 3 to 5 years.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #26
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is this new? Because the last time I checked, I don't think they did.

Or, I could have just totally ####ed up.
I don't know when they added them, but I switched to Telus just after Christmas and they've had the 4K channels all that time.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #27
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I believe it's strongly area dependent. But I also think Shaw's combo modem and router are better than Telus'. I'm too cheap to buy my own and I had good connection all over my house with Shaw but I have literally dead spots all over my house with Telus. Heck I have my PlayStation one room over from my Telus router and it's barely playable as I'm getting 1-3 Mbps.

I tried changing channels and everything but the 2.4 on Telus is not cutting it. It was odd, changed back to Shaw on the same wireless channel and I'm back at 45-50 Mbps.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #28
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is it true that if I get telus fiber I have to share my fiber with 32 other people or is it a dedicated fiber direct to the office?

I kind of get irked by Telus billboards and commercials when they say "4K tv with Telus" then you read these forums and the fact is it's only on 2 channels and hardly ever. To me that's enough to not want to switch to Telus. Kind of false advertising, a white lie.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #29
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Is it true that if I get telus fiber I have to share my fiber with 32 other people or is it a dedicated fiber direct to the office?

I kind of get irked by Telus billboards and commercials when they say "4K tv with Telus" then you read these forums and the fact is it's only on 2 channels and hardly ever. To me that's enough to not want to switch to Telus. Kind of false advertising, a white lie.
telus uses GPON, which is a shared network. but the bandwidth is nearly limitless when you uses fibre in a small area like that, so you wont notice the dips like you would in a copper shared network
Old 08-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #30
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
telus uses GPON, which is a shared network. but the bandwidth is nearly limitless when you uses fibre in a small area like that, so you wont notice the dips like you would in a copper shared network
Point is Telus makes it sound like everyone gets their own personal fiber to the Telus headquarters when it's actually a shared fiber. Either way it's still 150mbps, but then again so is shaw.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:24 PM   #31
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Point is Telus makes it sound like everyone gets their own personal fiber to the Telus headquarters when it's actually a shared fiber. Either way it's still 150mbps, but then again so is shaw.
you do get your own fibre connection right to your fibre modem. the difference between that and it being a "personal" fibre connection dont exist at this point. you couldnt tell the difference. shaw isnt the same, they can and do run out of bandwidth depending on how many customers are in the area that have shaw
Old 08-05-2017, 11:08 PM   #32
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Telus is 100x better. 150mbps up and down is light years ahead of Shaw, and the telus media room cable tv is 100,000x better than the Shaw gateway abortion. Not usually a "fan boy", but in the case of shaw vs. Telus.... Telus is so much better it hurts.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigNumbers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 07:21 AM   #33
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I switched from Shaw to Telus about a year ago and I don't know if I would go back to Shaw.

To me the internet is the same, but Telus has way better TV packs. Just to give you an example, with Shaw you need to get two packs for all the SN and TSN channels, with Telus its all under one sports pack. Telus on demand is ridiculously good. Especially if you have HBO. It has all the shows (The wire, Curb your enthusiasm, Sopranos, etc).
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #34
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just switched over to Shaw. The Blue Sky feature is not what is advertised. Although it is supposed to be 'advanced' you can't filter to the channels that only you have. If you use the voice command to record a show - you better go and manually check that you have the show. I recorded 5-6 different TV shows only to realize that the voice command picked the station I didn't have versus the one I did.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #35
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsieve View Post
Just switched over to Shaw. The Blue Sky feature is not what is advertised. Although it is supposed to be 'advanced' you can't filter to the channels that only you have. If you use the voice command to record a show - you better go and manually check that you have the show. I recorded 5-6 different TV shows only to realize that the voice command picked the station I didn't have versus the one I did.
I can adjust out the channels I don't have under settings / channel list.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #36
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We recently switched to Telus. Only thing I miss about Shaw is the clock on the cable box.

Weird, I know. I didn't realize how often we referred to that clock now that its gone.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 11:02 PM   #37
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
We recently switched to Telus. Only thing I miss about Shaw is the clock on the cable box.

Weird, I know. I didn't realize how often we referred to that clock now that its gone.
Well, that would piss off my wife. Staying with Shaw. Happy wife, happy life.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:28 PM   #38
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I can adjust out the channels I don't have under settings / channel list.
I'm only speaking about BlueSky as the other options have always had this feature. For BlueSky, you can favourite channels, but the voice command and associated PVR recordings cannot differentiate between the channels you have and don't have.