Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #41
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Last time I was down there (a few months ago) it still was. Weather or not it was actually open I'm not sure. That place was always a little sketchy. I never bothered to stop in there.
[/QUOTE]

It must have been longer than you remember since you've been down that way then.
That arcade has been closed for at least a year. It's now a place that sells scarves and hats and stuff.

I always figured there was something else going on in that place. They must've been selling drugs out of the back, because I hardly ever saw anyone in there, and I'm fairly certian the folks that hang out on 7th ave later in the evening aren't such big video game fans that Tekken was paying the rent for that place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #42
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
If anyone knows where any pinball machines are, my 4 year old would love to see a real one. We've been playing Pinball Hall of Fame lately and he's loving it.
Check out the game & billiards store in Crossiron Mills. They have a few on display and I believe they're playable.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #43
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember Rocky and Bullwinkle's. They had the best jugs of root beer and plain cheese pizza ever! I seem to remember some crazy ass animatronics show too. I believe it became a Chucky Cheese at some point, and then eventually became Schanks.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #44
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz
It must have been longer than you remember since you've been down that way then.
That arcade has been closed for at least a year. It's now a place that sells scarves and hats and stuff.
Could be. I didn't think it had been that long, but then again I rarely go that far into the core on the train anymore. It definately seemed like a front though. I can see them doing legitimate business in the 80s/90s with the school being that close. Not so much now. Not suprised it's not there anymore.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #45
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

I always figured there was something else going on in that place. They must've been selling drugs out of the back, because I hardly ever saw anyone in there, and I'm fairly certian the folks that hang out on 7th ave later in the evening aren't such big video game fans that Tekken was paying the rent for that place.
Yeah, that was along hobo avenue and the proprieter in his smock always stood outside the doors looking around. The folks that hung around that street were the kind who would stab a guy for a quarter, not put it into Dance Dance Revolution.

I always felt like it looked like a oldschool arcade proprieter standing outside his store wondering if anybody would come in, etc. along with how classic the sign looked with it's surround lightbulbs, etc. It was like a powerful image that represented the deaths of arcades all together...but now that I think about it, maybe he was a look-out.

I remember my friend telling me about an Arcade in Seattle that was like this. All the machines were set to the highest difficulty level so that people wouldn't be able to actually play or hang around. It was all a front for drugs.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 06-02-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #46
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm actually going to plan a trip out to New Hampshire sometime soon, would love to see the place made famous by King of Kong and Chasing Ghosts. I could easily spend 2 or 3 days there.

http://www.funspotnh.com/
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #47
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

What about Laserquest down around Southland? Last time I was there, they had a few games.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #48
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryzsky View Post
I'm actually going to plan a trip out to New Hampshire sometime soon, would love to see the place made famous by King of Kong and Chasing Ghosts. I could easily spend 2 or 3 days there.

http://www.funspotnh.com/
I've seen King of Kong but not chasing ghosts. Is that worth watching?
Old 06-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #49
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
What about Laserquest down around Southland? Last time I was there, they had a few games.
Like 5 games, not really an arcade, just stuff on the side that nobody plays.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #50
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another one, the Go-Kart place in Manchester (name escapes me at the moment). They had some games in there as well. Not sure if it is still open.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #51
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

10,000 square feet of fun in Vegas:

http://www.pinballmuseum.org/
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #52
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I've seen King of Kong but not chasing ghosts. Is that worth watching?
Definitely worth watching. I knew that I mentioned it at least a couple times, haha, found the post. Their website isn't working anymore, crap.

Pretty sure I mentioned this before, but anyone who remotely enjoyed "King of Kong" needs to look into "Chasing Ghosts" when it's released on DVD.

A lot of the same characters from "King of Kong" and the Twin Galaxies gang but it casts a wider net and covers all the games that were popular in the early 80s. A couple guys from Calgary are in there too, great documentary.

http://chasingghoststhemovie.com/
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #53
hkstylez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I always figured there was something else going on in that place. They must've been selling drugs out of the back, because I hardly ever saw anyone in there, and I'm fairly certian the folks that hang out on 7th ave later in the evening aren't such big video game fans that Tekken was paying the rent for that place.[/QUOTE]

I think I know what your talking about, taht place sure is ghetto, I've only been there once.
hkstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #54
Rifleman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The place along the C-Train tracks was called Southern Fun, and yes, it' had been there for years, but only closed within the last year or so. The guy who changed your bills into quarters name is Salem, an old East-Indian guy, who looks pretty gruff, but is one of the nicest fellas once you get to know him. He was, however, not the owner.

He managed that place for probably close to 20 years, and I often wondered how that place made any money, and he told me that it actually made money due to all the people wandering in and playing games while waiting for the C-Train, and that was enough to keep the place going. What eventually did it in, however, is when they moved the C-Train station down a block, and that is when business dried up and they couldn't survive any longer.

Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rifleman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #55
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
If anyone knows where any pinball machines are, my 4 year old would love to see a real one. We've been playing Pinball Hall of Fame lately and he's loving it.
Chinook Mall Scotiabank Theatre has a great Indiana Jones Pinball machine.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #56
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

When I was in Sapporo last year - arcades are still alive and kicking. There were TONS. 2-3 within a couple of blocks when I was staying downtown.

One of the coolest things there were these full HUD gundam games. Cost 5$ a play, but it was pretty awesome (I still have my pilot card). This one arcade had about 6 pods and probably one 200 games.

If arcades are to survive, they need to create an experience you can't get at home. The silent scope series had the right idea.

CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #57
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

So what happened to the Campus Cove?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #58
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

All this talk about arcades going extinct is breaking my heart
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #59
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

The Greyhound station had a pretty sweet selection of pinball and old style arcade games. Me and a couple friends popped in there last year for an hour or so to play. They even had the Simpson's arcade game. It's sketchy though, you best pack heat.
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #60
Gobsgraham
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Check out the game & billiards store in Crossiron Mills. They have a few on display and I believe they're playable.
Just don't buy from them. $2800 for a multicade or $3500 for a GT Complete (mine is $1000).

If anyone wants a game let me know and I will see if I can track it down for you or build you one.
Gobsgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gobsgraham For This Useful Post: