Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is .500?
When a team has as many wins and losses 132 43.42%
When a team has a point per game average 172 56.58%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #1
FlamesFan68
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon48 What is .500 hockey?

I really hate it when the "media" calls for .500 hockey when they don't even know what .500 hockey is. Before we had overtime losses we had ties. At that time I had no problem with .500 hockey. Example 10-10-5 is 25 points and .500 hockey is when the 5 were ties and both teams got 1 point. Right now, we have overtime losses, they are not ties. One team is giving up an extra point as a win to the other team. So there are extra points given. So to say a .500 team is average is false. So I have made up two new terms. A winner's .500 and a loser's .500

Winner's .500 is a team that has as many wins as they do losses and OTL's combined. Example, 15-10-5 is a winner's .500

Loser's .500 is a team that has as many wins as they do they do losses and the extra point doesn't matter. Example 10-10-5 is a loser's .500

I noticed playing NHL 10 that if I have a better than winner's .500 I quite often make the playoffs. If I have a slightly better than loser's .500 I quite often don't make the playoffs.

I think this is a more accurate way of looking at .500 in an overtime loss era of hockey.
FlamesFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFan68 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Winning % .500 is really the only way to use the term accurately IMO. All those "oh, well it's not a 0.500 record if you count OTL" arguments are meaningless in the end. A team can statistically go 0-0-82 and end up with the exact same number of points as a team going 41-41-0. So why is one team considered 0.500 and the other team not?

And yes, I do realize the 41-41-0 team would win the tie breaker, but the tie breaker is outside of the .500 metric.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #3
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with you. Real .500 is a decent goal to have. .500 not counting OTLs as losses is usually a poor season. It's too bad the NHL can't figure out a way to publish standings that take into account games played. It seems silly to to have Calgary and Edmonton at the top right now. It really should be 1. San Jose, 2. Ducks, 3. Edmonton, and 4. Calgary/LA.

It would be easy to do if they killed the OTL, and made .500 hockey great again!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is simplest to just look at it as a ratio of points obtained vs. points that were available for taking.

For all intents and purposes, an OT loss is a tie.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #5
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

These days it seems like .500 hockey refers to points percentage and "true .500" refers to win percentage.

I flip back and forth on the definition depending on what makes the Flames sound better and the Oilers sound worse.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

82pts on the year is .500 hockey no matter how you get there. It is about point % not wins vs losses
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #7
FlamesFan68
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Winning % .500 is really the only way to use the term accurately IMO. All those "oh, well it's not a 0.500 record if you count OTL" arguments are meaningless in the end. A team can statistically go 0-0-82 and end up with the exact same number of points as a team going 41-41-0. So why is one team considered 0.500 and the other team not?

And yes, I do realize the 41-41-0 team would win the tie breaker, but the tie breaker is outside of the .500 metric.
BUT, there are extra points floating around out there that wouldn't be in the system with the overtime wins. In a typical win 2 points is awarded to a winning team. in an overtime win game 3 points is awarded in the game. That extra points is kicking around out there, it didn't just disappear. You now need more points to make the playoffs, you can't just be a loser's .500 and think you have a good chance.

If you OTL all the way through the season, which is a loser's .500 If you go and get a winner's .500 split wins and losses you get in playoffs over the other team even though the points are the same. Although, likely both teams don't make the playoff unless you're in the East Conference.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #8
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
82pts on the year is .500 hockey no matter how you get there. It is about point % not wins vs losses
If every team averages 90 points, then 82 points is not .500. .500 should be half of the ~2.2 points given out every game.

Since slightly more than half the teams make the playoffs, it roughly works out that real .500 is the mark needed to make the playoffs. Of course the big assumption is everyone gets roughly an average amount of OTLs.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I wish I could score 50% on tests and still be lauded as doing well...
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #10
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would assume it is points percentage.

If someone talks win percentage, then it is wins and losses - including OT/SO losses.

Since the introduction of the extra point in OT/SO, it really does make more sense to talk about point percentages as '.500 hockey'.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #11
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

In hockey it most often refers to points % but that is meaningless considering that 27 of 30 teams are .500 or better right now.

Winning % is the better stat for determining if a team is good, since pts % has been watered down so much.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #12
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
If your tests were a 1:1 battle with each classmate, then 50% would probably be decent. I think class would be more fun too.
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #13
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I think the media understand what .500 is - just because you don't agree with the definition doesn't make it wrong.
Most fans will simply look at the standings and see if a team has as many, or more, wins as losses, and associate .500 with that.
But really it is just an arbitrary line, because a .500 hockey team won't likely make the playoffs.
So not sure what it is something to get twisted up about.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #14
FlamesFan68
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Yes, my point is. The NHL has a weird way of looking at 50% now.

It's the same as me awarding you 50% on your test even though you only got 45%, but I gave you an extra 5% for your attendance record.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #15
FlamesFan68
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I think the media understand what .500 is - just because you don't agree with the definition doesn't make it wrong.
Most fans will simply look at the standings and see if a team has as many, or more, wins as losses, and associate .500 with that.
But really it is just an arbitrary line, because a .500 hockey team won't likely make the playoffs.
So not sure what it is something to get twisted up about.
I like merit where it is deserved, and the Flames aren't far off because they have almost made the winner's .500 The Oiler's have had more combined losses than the Flames, but with a game in hand. I think it is a more accurate way of looking at things. A team gets a better than winner's .500 hockey they likely make the playoffs with 16 teams making the playoff out of 30.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #16
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan68 View Post
Yes, my point is. The NHL has a weird way of looking at 50% now.
What is weird about it? You make the playoffs based off of how many points you get, not how many wins. That being said, why should .500 refer to anything other than points%?

It wouldn't make any sense to speak of .500 in terms of win%.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:04 AM   #17
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

.500 means winning as often as you lose.

If a league has ties, .500 is Wins = Half of (Wins+Losses)

If a League has 3 point games, .500 is (Regulation Wins + Overtime Wins + Shootout Wins) = Half of (Games Played)

Now if you want to talk about points percentage, then it should be denoted. A .500 Points Percentage is not ".500" but it is a .500 Points Percentage. Not that a .500 Points Percentage has any real value as you have to be a total bottom feeder to fall below that mark.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #18
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like the NBA and MLB's approach, No Pts, just wins.
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #19
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan68 View Post
I like merit where it is deserved, and the Flames aren't far off because they have almost made the winner's .500 The Oiler's have had more combined losses than the Flames, but with a game in hand. I think it is a more accurate way of looking at things. A team gets a better than winner's .500 hockey they likely make the playoffs with 16 teams making the playoff out of 30.
There is no "winner's .500" or "loser's .500". There is win% and point%.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:08 AM   #20
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

.500 is points won divided by points available. It doesn't matter how many points are given out, a team can only earn a maximum of two points per game. If you get half of those points, you are .500.

Since .500 is simply math, it's not a term that equates a team to playoffs or not. This is especially true when playoff teams aren't exactly 50% of the total teams, don't play the same schedule, and where one team can have a better record than another team, but miss the playoffs due to divisional alignment. Even before the 3 point games were introduced, .500 (82 points) didn't guarantee you a playoff berth, but you could get into the playoffs with less than 82 points. In 1995-96 NJD missed with 86 points, and 5 teams made the western playoffs with less than 81 points.

How can you say that a 41-41-0 record is better than a 40-21-20 record? Some here would say that the former is .500 while the latter is .487. The former received 82 points and the latter received 100 points. Which record would you want your team to have? One is likely out of the playoffs and one is definitely in, with a shot at winning the division. One got .500 of the points, while the other got .610 of the points. I know which one I'd pick.

All .500 means is do you have half the amount of points you could have. It's easier to spot in the NBA and MLB where there aren't ties, but the theory isn't much different in the NFL and NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post: