Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #61
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really sure what the big deal is. Is it that much a stretch to predict the 2nd overall pick will be better than the 1st overall pick? And Big Tuna's inaccurate / homer analysis not withstanding, the two players look to be comparable in potential. So no, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Laine ends up the better player in the end. But that's where we'll all have to wait and see.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #62
BigTuna
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Not really sure what the big deal is. Is it that much a stretch to predict the 2nd overall pick will be better than the 1st overall pick? And Big Tuna's inaccurate / homer analysis not withstanding, the two players look to be comparable in potential. So no, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Laine ends up the better player in the end. But that's where we'll all have to wait and see.
Just pointing out Laine right now is incredibly one-dimensional and it's not smart to build around those guys than a #1 C,
BigTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #63
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Laine is definitely more exciting than another boring all-around point/game center. *Yawn*

Awesome to have another threat for 40-50 goals in the league.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #64
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
Just pointing out Laine right now is incredibly one-dimensional and it's not smart to build around those guys than a #1 C,
That is unless you already have a #1 C in Mark Scheifele and a #2 C in Brian Little.

These teams are on different trajectories at this point and will be for a few years at least.
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #65
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You keep saying that but I don' think you've watched Laine whatsoever. Explain to me what you mean by him being one dimensional? That he scores too much and therefor must be bad at D? Or he only scores in certain ways? What?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #66
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
You keep saying that but I don' think you've watched Laine whatsoever. Explain to me what you mean by him being one dimensional? That he scores too much and therefor must be bad at D? Or he only scores in certain ways? What?
Yeah I don't see him being one dimensional, he's not lazy back-checking like Ovi used to be or isn't able to make plays. He's actually had some great passing plays that have resulted in goals.

Mostly he needs to improve his skating, explosiveness and stamina, he seems to run out of gas pretty fast and looks a bit awkward with his lateral movement.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 04:51 PM   #67
BigTuna
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
His advanced stats are terrible. Yes I have seen him.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:03 PM   #68
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His advanced stats are terrible. Yes I have seen him.
You're going to use advanced stats 20 games in to declare him a 1 dimensional player? Does that seem reasonable to you?
Old 12-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #69
BigTuna
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You're going to use advanced stats 20 games in to declare him a 1 dimensional player? Does that seem reasonable to you?
and yet people are using the same small sample size to declare Laine better than Matthews.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #70
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The fact that anyone would write and headline an article as such is laughable. Didn't read one wink, just goes to show how anyone can write trash these days and get front page with enough shock value.

Who really cares? Enjoy them both...
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:27 PM   #71
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
and yet people are using the same small sample size to declare Laine better than Matthews.
Advanced stats require a large sample size to be anything but meaningless.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #72
BigTuna
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Advanced stats require a large sample size to be anything but meaningless.
Oh but all the other stats do not? Laine is scoring a huge % of his goals at home on the PP>
Old 12-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #73
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Matthews > Laine IMO
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:03 PM   #74
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matthews better fits the Leafs needs and Laine better fits the Jets needs. The rest at this point is just people yelling at the clouds.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #75
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh but all the other stats do not? Laine is scoring a huge % of his goals at home on the PP>

Jesus.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:16 PM   #76
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I really don't think Ovechkin is the reason the Caps havent one a cup.
I think Ovie is the main reason Washington has not done better....
If he played a complete game, which I am positive he can.
And I mean team first, help your team mates.
Then Washington would be a better team.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #77
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the advanced stats on Laine are so overblown. Not every kid enters the league and is instantly an advanced stats darling. How are the Jets overall on advanced stats? Is he dragging his linemates down? Honest question actually. I also only half care, since... he is still a kid.

6'5", can hit like a truck when he feels like it, has what seems to be a top 5 NHL shot already, and scoring goals at a rate we haven't seen for almost a decade.

Mathews is now slouch either. Solid all-around player.

Huge LOL at the 'unsustainable shooting percentage' comment - that is what it means to have a top 5 NHL shot.

On the Flames, I would much rather have Laine. On a team like the Leafs, I would rather start with Mathews. All the proclamations about who is going to be superior to whom is just guesswork right now, and nothing more.

Just find it extremely silly to point at Laine and say "Unsustainable shooting percentage" and "ugly advanced stats" when he has a top 5 shot, and is only 18.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #78
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I think the advanced stats on Laine are so overblown. Not every kid enters the league and is instantly an advanced stats darling. How are the Jets overall on advanced stats? Is he dragging his linemates down? Honest question actually. I also only half care, since... he is still a kid.

6'5", can hit like a truck when he feels like it, has what seems to be a top 5 NHL shot already, and scoring goals at a rate we haven't seen for almost a decade.

Mathews is now slouch either. Solid all-around player.

Huge LOL at the 'unsustainable shooting percentage' comment - that is what it means to have a top 5 NHL shot.

On the Flames, I would much rather have Laine. On a team like the Leafs, I would rather start with Mathews. All the proclamations about who is going to be superior to whom is just guesswork right now, and nothing more.

Just find it extremely silly to point at Laine and say "Unsustainable shooting percentage" and "ugly advanced stats" when he has a top 5 shot, and is only 18.
I don't know where you are getting this from? He has a great shot for sure, but I have no idea if it is Top 5. I guess if he keeps this shooting % for the entire season he is Top 5.

But he plays with legitimate first line players like Scheifele. Opponents have to respect the guys he plays which gives him more space. Matthews' line the opposition can just key in on him and shut him down.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #79
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I don't know where you are getting this from? He has a great shot for sure, but I have no idea if it is Top 5. I guess if he keeps this shooting % for the entire season he is Top 5.

But he plays with legitimate first line players like Scheifele. Opponents have to respect the guys he plays which gives him more space. Matthews' line the opposition can just key in on him and shut him down.
He probably has the best wrist shot in the league. It's not even a question of top 5, his wrist shot is already elite.

His slap shot is lacking and he doesn't seem to like using it but don't think he needs it with a wrist shot like he has.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #80
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
He probably has the best wrist shot in the league. It's not even a question of top 5, his wrist shot is already elite.

His slap shot is lacking and he doesn't seem to like using it but don't think he needs it with a wrist shot like he has.
Exactly. Easily walked into the league with one of the best wrist shots out there. The kids release is insane. Doesn't take stats to describe that. Just watch it.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post: