Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2016, 07:18 AM   #61
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

What the hell were the Kamloops Blazers putting in the water in 94-95?

To have not one but TWO 1500+ games in the NHL first rounders (Doan taken 7th)...

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 08:23 AM   #62
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Amazing man and player. The durability and consistency really stand out. First ballot HOFer for sure.
If a team were made up of the greatest players of all time, I put Iggy on that team. So tough and such a weapon.
I really hope he can get going this year again, or he gets traded to a contender.
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:29 AM   #63
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Water Cowboy #10 View Post
Amazing man and player. The durability and consistency really stand out. First ballot HOFer for sure.
If a team were made up of the greatest players of all time, I put Iggy on that team. So tough and such a weapon.
I really hope he can get going this year again, or he gets traded to a contender.
Yeah, if you have to compare to old time hockey players, Howe or Richard maybe?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:33 AM   #64
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah, if you have to compare to old time hockey players, Howe or Richard maybe?
I don't get what you're saying.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:37 AM   #65
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Water Cowboy #10 View Post
I don't get what you're saying.
That I agree he's tough and a weapon. And I'd compare him to those guys who are always on all time player lists.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:40 AM   #66
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No doubt! Top scorers that kick ass, and rarely get hurt. Basically a legend
Old 12-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #67
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Old 12-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #68
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

I feel like the lockouts he's endured have affected his career stats a lot in terms of the greatest players conversations:

1. He'd have many more GP, especially with how durable he is.
2. He'd have had 15 consecutive 30-goal seasons, book-ended by seasons of 28,29,29. Jagr would have had the record with 16 (without the lockout), but impressive nonetheless. Iggy could have also had 19 seasons with 20 goals, and an outside chance to make it 20 this season. That's only 2 back of Gordie's record!
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #69
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

No player should ever wear 12 in Calgary again. It's not even up for debate, IMO. It is amazing how quickly we went from him being a fresh faced 18 year old scoring in his first game in the playoffs against Chicago to talking about his inevitable induction into the HOF.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #70
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

The feel good thread of the year!

Jarome is a class act. He was the blood of the organization, he lived breathed and loving be a Calgary Flame. So many great Iggy moments to recount!
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #71
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
I feel like the lockouts he's endured have affected his career stats a lot in terms of the greatest players conversations:

1. He'd have many more GP, especially with how durable he is.
2. He'd have had 15 consecutive 30-goal seasons, book-ended by seasons of 28,29,29. Jagr would have had the record with 16 (without the lockout), but impressive nonetheless. Iggy could have also had 19 seasons with 20 goals, and an outside chance to make it 20 this season. That's only 2 back of Gordie's record!
Also, had there not been a full season lost to lockout, plus a season shortened due to lockout, Iginla would have scored ~50 more goals. That would put him around 665 goals currently, which would have him within reach of spot #8 (Messier - 694), spot #9 (Yzerman - 692) and spot #10 (Lemieux - 690). That is pretty damn impressive considering the most of his games, at least in his prime, were in a clutching and grabbing era where goals were down league-wide.
Young_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Young_Guns For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 03:47 AM   #72
renny
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Jarome Iginla was the reason why I started really following the Flames. I loved that he could shoot as well as anybody in the league and if you pissed him off he's more than happy feed you knuckle sandwiches. Finally, he had an infectious smile, it was always hilarious to me that he could be face punching someone but at the same time have his signature grin on his face. The guy is classy AF. What an incredible career! Hats off to you Iggy, I miss starting/hearing the Iggy Iggy Iggy, Oi Oi Oi chants at the dome.

renny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:12 AM   #73
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great guy. I wish he would have recognized when it was time to hang them up though. I hate seeing great players fade away to nothing rather than going out on top. It would have been nice to see Iginla get his Lanny McDonald or Payton Manning moment, but that window closed with his Pittsburgh decision. He should have retired gracefully after the Boston contract rather than signing one more on a poor Colorado team which would amplify his inability to play in the league. Hopefully he sees where this is headed and asks for the trade to Calgary where he can play his final game and retire where it started for him. That would be much better than the cliche signing a one day contract to retire a Flame. Take that last twirl on Saddledome ice in a #12 Flames jersey to cement his legacy in the hearts of Calgary fans.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #74
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Great guy. I wish he would have recognized when it was time to hang them up though. I hate seeing great players fade away to nothing rather than going out on top. It would have been nice to see Iginla get his Lanny McDonald or Payton Manning moment, but that window closed with his Pittsburgh decision. He should have retired gracefully after the Boston contract rather than signing one more on a poor Colorado team which would amplify his inability to play in the league. Hopefully he sees where this is headed and asks for the trade to Calgary where he can play his final game and retire where it started for him. That would be much better than the cliche signing a one day contract to retire a Flame. Take that last twirl on Saddledome ice in a #12 Flames jersey to cement his legacy in the hearts of Calgary fans.
But if he had retired like you suggest, he wouldn't be playing in his 1500th game tonight.

Maybe save the "he shoulda retired earlier" thoughts for another thread. I mean, did you even read the thread title before clicking on it?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #75
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
But if he had retired like you suggest, he wouldn't be playing in his 1500th game tonight.

Maybe save the "he shoulda retired earlier" thoughts for another thread. I mean, did you even read the thread title before clicking on it?
Thank you for telling me what I should think and feel about Iginla and him reaching the 1,500 game mark. I always appreciate people telling me what and how I should think about things.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:12 AM   #76
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thank you for telling me what I should think and feel about Iginla and him reaching the 1,500 game mark. I always appreciate people telling me what and how I should think about things.
Aw shucks, you're welcome.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:12 AM   #77
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Give it a rest. Maybe you should recognize when it's time to hang them up.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #78
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why should Iginla have retired after Boston? He put up two more 20 goal seasons after that.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #79
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Why should Iginla have retired after Boston? He put up two more 20 goal seasons after that.
Did you watch his last two seasons? A shadow of his former self. But hey, he made it to 1,500 games. That's all that matters tonight. Hoist a beer in honor of one the best Flames ever reaching a milestone.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #80
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am very glad he didn't "hang them up" and there was no reason he should have. Just a shame he ended up with such a bad team.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: