Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #21
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Yeah, but just outside of being an enforcer, he was a dirty player himself.
I heard that a lot when all the allstar stuff was going on. As someone that didn't particularly pay attention to Scott in his career, what are examples of what he did? Is he a Raffi Torres or Matt Cooke level dbag?
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #22
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I heard that a lot when all the allstar stuff was going on. As someone that didn't particularly pay attention to Scott in his career, what are examples of what he did? Is he a Raffi Torres or Matt Cooke level dbag?
The same people would turn around and cheer for Tkachuk playing on the edge. John Scott never headbutted anyone. Even the Kessel incident showed that Scott put on his enforcement hat when things went down but never did anything overly stupid, despite being batted at by a hockey stick. There's few players in the league who are/were pathologically physical, and you labelled the two that come to my mind.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:03 PM   #23
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah, I wouldn't say he's dirty. He's an enforcer just doing his job.

Lets be honest. He let Kessel off the hook. He riled him, that's true. But he could have really hurt him if he wanted to, and he didn't.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #24
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
The same people would turn around and cheer for Tkachuk playing on the edge. John Scott never headbutted anyone. Even the Kessel incident showed that Scott put on his enforcement hat when things went down but never did anything overly stupid, despite being batted at by a hockey stick. There's few players in the league who are/were pathologically physical, and you labelled the two that come to my mind.
Well I wouldn't cheer for Tkachuk if he did this.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #25
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
I actually watched hockey before the year 2000 and have very little issue with these East/West hits. Headbutting is way dirtier than going for a big hit and recklessly putting your arm up because 1) you think you might miss your hit, or 2) Poor follow-through.

Last edited by MarkGio; 12-07-2016 at 04:31 PM.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #26
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No more dirty than Staal on Stajan and he didn't even get a penalty for it.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:39 PM   #27
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ahh I see, clean hit no problem then. It was good too when he hit Jackman in the face with the butt end of his stick. Carry on folks.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #28
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
On Tuesdays, I take my oldest girls to dance class. I’m usually the only dad in attendance. It’s probably quite a sight for the moms. This big, hairy 6-foot-8 guy standing around the dance studio, waving to his little princesses every five seconds.
That's a real man right there.

Tags due to size:
NSFW!

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2016, 04:49 PM   #29
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ahh I see, clean hit no problem then. It was good too when he hit Jackman in the face with the butt end of his stick. Carry on folks.
Go check out the video, I can't post it at work, but its a blindside shoulder check to the chin, they are honestly almost identical. Staal defended it as he did nothing wrong, the NHL called it a good check. Scott's showed remorse and was indefinitely suspended. The difference? Staal is a skill defender and Scott is a goon.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #30
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
In a league devoid of personalities, even with ghost writers, Player's Tribune is a godsend.
Nothing wrong at all with Ghost-Writers, even being an intelligent and educated individual doesnt guarantee any aptitude for writing.

I like that they obviously have some good writers on staff that really manage to eloquently craft these guys' stories.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:29 PM   #31
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

What a great article. The hockey stuff was awesome, and his appreciation was really cool to read. I can totally relate to the part about him knowing the disney characters and being the only dad at dance class, waving to his princess. lol. Just awesome. Little girls can melt the toughest dudes. The fact that he added that to his article is so genuinely awesome.

I agree with whoever said to add that there's a PT article to the thread title. I almost didn't read this thread because I didn't expect any interesting extra details to the fact that a guy is retiring. That was a fantastic read.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2016, 05:37 PM   #32
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah that was a great read and the only reason I clicked on the thread was because I saw 4x4 posted. Agree with adding that there's a players tribune in here. Just a fantastic read.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:40 PM   #33
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Aww, I heart you too, PL.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:43 PM   #34
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Nothing wrong at all with Ghost-Writers, even being an intelligent and educated individual doesnt guarantee any aptitude for writing.

I like that they obviously have some good writers on staff that really manage to eloquently craft these guys' stories.
Scott was on TSN radio in Montreal for about 20 minutes with Mitch Melnyk this afternoon. Was every bit as honest and enjoyable as the article, but Melnyk is fantastic at that sort of thing too.
It's great that the writers at players tribute help bring across these player stories as they deserve to be told.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #35
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I wouldn't put him at that level, but the Chris Neil level. He would take liberties on players if given the chance.

That's why I find the notion funny that the "NHL needs players like me to protect the stars from players like me...".

I don't disagree that there are many like him, but that was pretty much the only reason he was on the ice.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:53 PM   #36
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The fact that people consider hits like this to be dirty is one of the reasons I'm not as interested in the NHL as I used to be. That's on Loui to keep his head up in that situation.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #37
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
The fact that people consider hits like this to be dirty is one of the reasons I'm not as interested in the NHL as I used to be. That's on Loui to keep his head up in that situation.
No it's not. That kind of hit adds nothing to the game.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:20 PM   #38
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a freaking elbow to the mush. What about that seems clean to anyone? Good lord. I like John Scott in terms of his personality, but that's an incredibly dirty hit and it's totally obvious. It's not even really a hit when you chicken wing a guy like that, it's just a cheap shot.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #39
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's a freaking elbow to the mush. What about that seems clean to anyone? Good lord. I like John Scott in terms of his personality, but that's an incredibly dirty hit and it's totally obvious. It's not even really a hit when you chicken wing a guy like that, it's just a cheap shot.
I suggest you watch again - it's a shoulder to the head check from the side less than a second after the puck is passed. This type of hit was not a rare occurrence less than a decade ago.

For reference, here are some great 90's hits from one of the best all time:

Unfortunately nowadays Stevens would be suspended after each of these and there would be a Royal Commission into his conduct.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2016, 09:38 PM   #40
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
I suggest you watch again - it's a shoulder to the head check from the side less than a second after the puck is passed. This type of hit was not a rare occurrence less than a decade ago.

For reference, here are some great 90's hits from one of the best all time:

Unfortunately nowadays Stevens would be suspended after each of these and there would be a Royal Commission into his conduct.
At the time, I thought many of those hits were great. But looking back, the hit on Kariya especially should absolutely nowadays be considered a dirty hit.
Language is offline   Reply With Quote