Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2016, 04:31 AM   #1
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Flames Should we bench Monahan for a game or 2?

Im sure we all know about his struggles. He hasn't been scratched or benched during a game this year i think. Should he be scratched for a game to wake him up?
discuss
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:34 AM   #2
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm on the fence. If he starts making really bonehead moves and costing the team games, yes. Otherwise, you let him play through it.

On the other hand, other young players have benefitted from a 1 game benching now and then, so it might actually be worthwhile.

I think it's player specific, and I'll let our "Player's Coach" use his read on the player to determine what's best for them.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:35 AM   #3
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I'm on the fence. If he starts making really bonehead moves and costing the team games, yes. Otherwise, you let him play through it.

On the other hand, other young players have benefitted from a 1 game benching now and then, so it might actually be worthwhile.

I think it's player specific, and I'll let our "Player's Coach" use his read on the player to determine what's best for them.
Ya thats where i sit on it. Gaudreau really picked it up after he was benched same with Thatchuk
Old 11-24-2016, 04:39 AM   #4
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sean is having troubles right now and it may not be just on ice stuff.

On ice, sit em
Off ice, give em a hug
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:40 AM   #5
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it will just make matters worse for Monahan.

You bench players for three reasons mostly:

1) They are not giving enough of an effort
2) They are young and need to learn
3) Competition for spots

I don't see anything that Monahan matches. Giving him even more pressure is just going to add to his burden. Players just need to play through things sometimes. Maybe you cut his ice-time, demote him in the lineup, etc., but you don't make him a scratch. It will just ruin whatever confidence he has left at this point. He needs to be built up, not be taken down.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 04:54 AM   #6
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I think it will just make matters worse for Monahan.

You bench players for three reasons mostly:

1) They are not giving enough of an effort
2) They are young and need to learn
3) Competition for spots

I don't see anything that Monahan matches. Giving him even more pressure is just going to add to his burden. Players just need to play through things sometimes. Maybe you cut his ice-time, demote him in the lineup, etc., but you don't make him a scratch. It will just ruin whatever confidence he has left at this point. He needs to be built up, not be taken down.
Good point, never thought of it like this
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 05:42 AM   #7
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm mostly concerned that he's just not getting offensive chances at all during games. He never had a problem with that in the past, regardless of line mates and regardless of how he was playing in other areas. He has 41 shots on the season in 22 games, meaning he's getting less than 2 shots on net per game. That's VERY un-Monahan-like. He's never put up a bunch of assists, but he has just 3 in 22 games.

But my biggest concern is the lack of goals. Goal scoring has been his calling card since he's come into the league. Even when nothing else was going well, he would still find a way to score some goals. He has just 5 goals through 1/4 of the season. That puts him just barely at the 20 goal mark. Sure, he could heat up later on, but he doesn't seem close right now.

Here are some other notable NHL elites with more goals than Monahan:

Patrick Eaves-9
Rene Bourque-7
Paul Byron-7
Sam Gagner-7
Bo Horvat-7
Tanner Pearson-7
Cam Fowler-6
Viktor Arvidsson-6
Tyler Pitlick-6

If that list doesn't raise some eyebrows I don't know what will.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:13 AM   #8
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you mean should we bench Monahan? I'm pretty sure the coaching staff and not CP makes these decisions.

And no Gulutzan should not bench Monahan. There are no good options to replace him in the line up and he needs ice time to play out of his slump.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:41 AM   #9
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it is more exaggerated this season as he hasn't been himself to start the year, but isn't this the same thing we talk about each year with him?

In 2014-15 after 22 games, Monahan had 7 goals and 5 assists
In 2015-16 after 22 games, Monahan had 7 goals and 8 assists
In 2016-17 after 22 games, Monahan has 5 goals and 3 assists

In the first two years listed there,

Gaudreau had 3 G 12 A, and 5 G 15 A
Hudler had 8 G 10 A, 4 G 10 A

This year

Gaudreau has 5 G 6 A
Chiasson has 2 G 2 A

In terms of offensive production from his linemates, Gaudreau's production is down 5% from 2014-15 in terms of PPG (27% overall) and down 29% from last season in PPG (45% overall). The other linemate's production is down 78%, and 71% respectively.

So the fact that Monahan is down 2 goals and 3.5 assists off his pace at this point is also likely due to the fact that he has been partnered with linemates having horrible seasons as well as his usual struggles and his dealing with no training camp.

Last year, it took until his 49th game for him to get going. He had 13 G and 21 A after that point.

34 of his 63 points came in his last 32 games

The year before it took until game 44. He had 20 G 17 A after that point.

37 of 62 points came in his last 37 games.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Monahan puts up sluggish numbers until Mid/late January like the past two seasons and then pours it on at that point.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 11-24-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 07:25 AM   #10
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

[QUOTE=Cali Panthers Fan;6020820]I'm mostly concerned that he's just not getting offensive chances at all during games.

Your first sentence says it all. If he were getting good scoring chances and not converting I wouldn't be worried at all. He can't score with zero shots on goal.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #11
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I know it is more exaggerated this season as he hasn't been himself to start the year, but isn't this the same thing we talk about each year with him?

This year

Gaudreau has 5 G 6 A
Chiasson has 2 G 2 A

In terms of offensive production from his linemates, Gaudreau's production is down 5% from 2014-15 in terms of PPG (27% overall) and down 29% from last season in PPG (45% overall). The other linemate's production is down 78%, and 71% respectively.

So the fact that Monahan is down 2 goals and 3.5 assists off his pace at this point is also likely due to the fact that he has been partnered with linemates having horrible seasons as well as his usual struggles and his dealing with no training camp.

Last year, it took until his 49th game for him to get going. He had 13 G and 21 A after that point.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Monahan puts up sluggish numbers until Mid/late January like the past two seasons and then pours it on at that point.
The problem with poring it on from January is that we'll be long out of it by then.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 07:31 AM   #12
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think you put him in the press box for a game, but if he has to sit a period, I think you have to demand that accountability.

But I also think that with guys like Monahan another alternative is to double shift him so he has to start reacting to the play rather than over thinking each opportunity. I'm also open to a few games where he sees 25 minutes of ice back to back
Old 11-24-2016, 07:36 AM   #13
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

No. I'm a firm believer in letting your stars play no matter what. The best players need to play out of it. It's possible he's just taking longer to get used to the new system than usual. I wouldn't freak out too much. Even if he has an off year so what? Even Ovi had a few off years and people were questioning if he was truly elite or not.
N-E-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #14
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Basically been mentioned already by Calgary4Life, but you'd only bench Monahan for the following reasons:

- You have concerns about his work ethic (in games, practice, wherever)
- You have concerns about his off ice behavior
- You think he'd benefit from observing the game from above

If not, you let him play through and find his game. It's more important Monahan is the best player he can be 2 years from now then the fans getting some sort of immediate satisfaction right now to help them feel like someone did something to assign blame for a season that's not going the way we wanted.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 07:54 AM   #15
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:
Default Should we bench Monahan for a game or 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Here are some other notable NHL elites with more goals than Monahan:

Patrick Eaves-9
Rene Bourque-7
Paul Byron-7
Sam Gagner-7
Bo Horvat-7
Tanner Pearson-7
Cam Fowler-6
Viktor Arvidsson-6
Tyler Pitlick-6

If that list doesn't raise some eyebrows I don't know what will.

I don't think that list should raise any eyebrows. That's just life in the NHL. What about this list of some classically high-scoring guys mixed with usual Monahan comparables?

Phil Kessel - 5
Nathan Mackinnon - 5
John Tavares - 5
Dylan Larkin - 5
Claude Giroux - 4
Corey Perry - 4
Jonathan Toews - 4
Branden Schenn - 3
Patrice Bergeron - 3
Filip Forsberg - 2
Aleksander Barkov - 2
Anze Kopitar - 2

It's not like Monahan is alone on an island here. Schiefele is basically the only guy I believe out of the "contract group" (the comparables who signed similar contracts this past year) that is doing well. Everyone else has struggled for 80-90% of the season so far.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 11-24-2016 at 08:40 AM.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 07:59 AM   #16
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don't think that list should raise any eyebrows. That's just life in the NHL. What about this list of some classically high-scoring guys mixed with usual Monahan comparables?

Phil Kessel - 5
Nathan Mackinnon - 5
John Tavares - 5
Dylan Larkin - 5
Claude Giroux - 4
Corey Perry - 4
Jonathan Toews - 4
Branden Schenn - 3
Patrice Bergeron - 3
Filip Forsberg - 2
Aleksander Barkov - 2
Anne Kopitar - 2

It's not like Monahan is alone on an island here. Schiefele is basically the only guy I believe out of the "contract group" (the comparables who signed similar contracts this past year) that is doing well. Everyone else has struggled for 80-90% of the season so far.
Wait, are you saying you can cherry pick stats to prove any point..............I'd have never guessed!
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #17
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

I actually thought he's made a few creative plays the last few games. They didn't work out but I like the fact that he attempted them.

He had a sneaky shot from the boards that almost went in as well. I still want him to play with Ferland.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #18
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This year

Gaudreau has 5 G 6 A
Chiasson has 2 G 2 A

This is true. I remember how people were saying that Mohanan was in a sophomore slump in 2014-15, when we had 3 centres hurt, and we used the excuse that he was learning the defensive game and playing against shutdown lines. We had the same talk last year saying he did not recover from his playoff shoulder surgery.

He will get there.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #19
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
The problem with poring it on from January is that we'll be long out of it by then.
Maybe but then again the Flames play in the worst division in the league and sit 6pts back of first and 4pts out of a playoff spot. I am not ready to throw in the towel yet but Deem WR is a huge month which will be played largely if not entirely without Gaudreau.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #20
Har-Calgary
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

Quote:

This year

Gaudreau has 5 G 6 A
Chiasson has 2 G 2 A

I've always been pretty skeptical about Mony, always seems to me ppl really have to reach to defend him. The last two years my general belief is that Mony is pretty overrated by flames fans and is a fairly replaceable player, then he always goes off in the second half and makes me feel stupid for thinking that. The thing is, when he is struggling, he looks downright awful. Johnny was struggling but he still showed flashes of brilliance, Mony has basically shown nothing, IMO he's looked slightly better since Johnny's injury, a bit more poised and wanting to create, but he's still been pretty bad.

Even if he does pour it on in the second half again, which I'm starting to worry won't even happen. But even if he does, that's not good enough! He needs to be consistent, I for one would be fine if he heats up before the trade deadline and we ship him, but his price tag and term won't even make that easy.
Har-Calgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Har-Calgary For This Useful Post: