Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #141
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
We're 1/3 through the season and the Flames' special teams are still sitting in the League's basement. The team has lost a lot of games and potential points because of the ineptitude of the systems.

The same group over the course of the 2 prior seasons were about league average on the Powerplay with approximately 17%-18%. The team is currently at 10% which is on track to become the worst power play since the Lockout. That's historically bad. So literally, they could try just about anything else at this point and it probably would be better than what we've seen so far up to date. In my opinion, since this is a copycat league, the team should try to copy one of the best power plays over the last decade and that's the Washington Capitals 1-3-1 set up. We don't quite have the same personnel, but I see a lot of similar tools.

Here's how I see it potentially setting up.

Using Giordano as the "Ovechkin" of the power play is not necessarily ideal, but he does have one of the best one timers on the team and his shot has registered well over 100MPH. Gaudreau would be used as the "Backstrom" of the power play as this will give him many potential options in which he can control whether or not the puck should be directed to the net or to the point or cross ice for the one timer. Monahan will be stationed in the slot for a potential slap pass redirection or tip ins and Matthew Tkachuk will be stationed beside the net where he is accustomed to being scoring garbage goals or finding Monahan in the slot. Brodie will be used as their John Carlson because he can distribute the puck nicely from forehand to backhand and has the quickness to race back to the defensive zone just in case there are turnovers.

After watching the Captials dominate on the power play for years and watching how well they control the offensive zone and generate countless chances, I'm convinced this is the way to go. This structure has been proven to be successful in the past and the Capitals PP has consistently hovered around the top of the league for the last decade and I guarantee it'll be much more successful than the current system the team has deployed.
This seems to be exactly what we did on Gio's goal last night.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:36 PM   #142
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

PP now 27th. PK now T25th

I think we need a PP/PK snek
Old 12-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #143
Eric
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post

I second this
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #144
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

any time your PP snek is going in an upward direction, it's a good thing.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 12-09-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2016, 12:28 AM   #145
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Little update in thread title. PP suddenly looking great!
Squiggs to show his PP snek.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #146
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

So we went from 30th on the PP to 17th overall now, and from 30th on PK to 25th.

However, since the Nov 23rd 2-0 win in CBJ the Flames have the:
  • #1 PP (36.7%). Anaheim is 2nd with 27.6%
  • #4 PK (90.2%). Behind Detroit (93.8%), Carolina (93.1%), and Florida (90.9%)
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2016, 04:42 PM   #147
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Since Nov 21 when this thread was created:

PP - 7/22, 31.8%, 1st
PK - 30/32, 93.8%, 3rd

Thank you FBI for turning around the special teams play.
Just noticed this update last week.

I used the 23rd because we had that bad collapse in Buffalo on the 21st.
In addition to just the percentages I posted above, the PK is 37/41, and the PP is 11/30.

Now if only Johnny was drawing the number of penalties he should be! I noticed once again Ferland got hooked more on his breakaway last night than McDavid's penalty shot in game 1.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #148
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow I can't believe our PP numbers raised 13 spots in a months time.

I guess that's what happens when you get half the opportunities the team SHOULD be getting but manage to capitalize on twice the amount as an average team.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #149
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

22nd in PK.

Flames 1st in PP for the last month. 14th overall.
The question is, how good can our PP get?
Old 12-20-2016, 10:53 AM   #150
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
22nd in PK.

Flames 1st in PP for the last month. 14th overall.
The question is, how good can our PP get?
Well the hope should be to have the best PP unit through the rest of the season.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #151
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our special teams were losing us game to start the season. Now it's winning us games. Quite the turn around, and hopefully the team can keep it going for the rest of the season.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #152
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah it's no coincidence that the Flames have a better winning record as soon as the PP and PK improves. Last night's tic-tac-toe PP goal was an example of the players following the coach's game plan.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #153
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was not a fan of the mortician hire but I have to give credit. He just might know what he is doing.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #154
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Here are the PP and PK snakes after last night's 3/6 PP and 5/5 PK!
(feedback is appreciated)

The black lines are based off of the general averages over the past few years (PP - 18%, PK - 82%).

Power Play
18.8%, 14th in the league

Penalty Kill
79.4%, 22nd in the league
Isikiz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Isikiz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #155
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

good on the coaching staff. Happily eating some crow, I never thought they'd improve that much under Cameron.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #156
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs up

You da man!
Wonder if you could do one with like a black line for 10th or something and do the red snake by league position? Might be a little tough for historical data though. I imagine if you are 10th or better in both PP and PK you have a very high chance of making the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isikiz View Post
Here are the PP and PK snakes after last night's 3/6 PP and 5/5 PK!
(feedback is appreciated)

The black lines are based off of the general averages over the past few years (PP - 18%, PK - 82%).

Power Play
18.8%, 14th in the league

Penalty Kill
79.4%, 22nd in the league
Old 12-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #157
Knut

Exp:

Coaches like their PP + PK % to add up to more than 100% i believe. I think it correlates strongly with getting into the Playoffs.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/s...lty-kill/2016/

Flames sit 21st. 14 teams are above 100%
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #158
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
We're 1/3 through the season and the Flames' special teams are still sitting in the League's basement. The team has lost a lot of games and potential points because of the ineptitude of the systems.

The same group over the course of the 2 prior seasons were about league average on the Powerplay with approximately 17%-18%. The team is currently at 10% which is on track to become the worst power play since the Lockout. That's historically bad. So literally, they could try just about anything else at this point and it probably would be better than what we've seen so far up to date. In my opinion, since this is a copycat league, the team should try to copy one of the best power plays over the last decade and that's the Washington Capitals 1-3-1 set up. We don't quite have the same personnel, but I see a lot of similar tools.

Here's how I see it potentially setting up.

Using Giordano as the "Ovechkin" of the power play is not necessarily ideal, but he does have one of the best one timers on the team and his shot has registered well over 100MPH. Gaudreau would be used as the "Backstrom" of the power play as this will give him many potential options in which he can control whether or not the puck should be directed to the net or to the point or cross ice for the one timer. Monahan will be stationed in the slot for a potential slap pass redirection or tip ins and Matthew Tkachuk will be stationed beside the net where he is accustomed to being scoring garbage goals or finding Monahan in the slot. Brodie will be used as their John Carlson because he can distribute the puck nicely from forehand to backhand and has the quickness to race back to the defensive zone just in case there are turnovers.

After watching the Captials dominate on the power play for years and watching how well they control the offensive zone and generate countless chances, I'm convinced this is the way to go. This structure has been proven to be successful in the past and the Capitals PP has consistently hovered around the top of the league for the last decade and I guarantee it'll be much more successful than the current system the team has deployed.

Link

https://gfycat.com/MilkyAgreeableCalf

Shuffle the numbers a little bit and move in one guy deeper and it looks great. I like that Gaudreau also had the chance to pass to Monahan instead of Brouwer for a good shot against too. Perfect execution.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #159
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post

Link

https://gfycat.com/MilkyAgreeableCalf

Shuffle the numbers a little bit and move in one guy deeper and it looks great. I like that Gaudreau also had the chance to pass to Monahan instead of Brouwer for a good shot against too. Perfect execution.
That might be the best PP goal the Flames have scored in a decade. Three perfect passes and a great shot in less than 2 seconds, that is pretty close to impossible to defend against. Great work by everyone, including the coaches, on that one. I had completely given up hope on Cameron and his special teams earlier in the year, but I'm happy to have been proven wrong.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #160
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
That might be the best PP goal the Flames have scored in a decade. Three perfect passes and a great shot in less than 2 seconds, that is pretty close to impossible to defend against. Great work by everyone, including the coaches, on that one. I had completely given up hope on Cameron and his special teams earlier in the year, but I'm happy to have been proven wrong.
If I were in charge Cameron would have been fired 20 games ago. But that's why I'm a dumb dumb on the internets, and not in the front office of the Flames.