Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #41
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
Oh, get off your exaggerating high horse. Darren doesn't have a new idea. He's not a sensitive child needing your protection. This isn't a difficult job for him as he does this PROFESSIONALLY on the fan960 and most likely other radio stations. I get that a few of you don't care about quality. That's fine. Enjoy it. However, as a professional, I disagree as audio is every bit as important as content and almost every professional would agree with me (if you don't I question your professionalism). You don't have great video and poor audio and release it to the public. You don't write a good story and release it on toilet paper.

This is, however, great for Flames fans and hockey fans in general. I hope he acquires a microphone and continues. You chaps are SJWing this, as usual. I'm not saying he needs a studio. I'm not saying he needs a producer. I'm saying he needs a bloody microphone and not an iPhone recorder.

Now, are you little boys done guarding these monkey bars on the playground yet? Is the princess coming soon so you can get your kisses?
Haynes provides his insight on the radio via phone call - he doesn't have his own radio show or anything like that. He is a professional in the sense that he provides hockey insight. Given that this episode is a pilot, some kinks are obviously expected. He is aware of the audio quality and will likely make changes.

No reason to be a dick.
Isikiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:48 AM   #42
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
The content was good. But TBQH did offer legit constructive criticism. The audio quality wasn't good.

Especially TBQH's first post, he even recommended an economical solution, and there was no whining in that post.

I hope Haynes continues with these, and I hope he improves the audio quality in the future.

Oh yes, it's perfectly valid, the problem is in the delivery. Why take such an offended stance, and when someone says: "maybe lets evaluate it on its content" TBQH decides to be rude in response.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #43
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Oh yes, it's perfectly valid, the problem is in the delivery. Why take such an offended stance, and when someone says: "maybe lets evaluate it on its content" TBQH decides to be rude in response.
That's valid. The word horrid could be considered harsh. But from my view it was horrid (rough). You read it as being offended or that I was attacking. I wasn't. I guess this must be what MMF feels like when he posts. If he has a heart!
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #44
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ever since the internet was invented, people have become hypersensitive about the things they get for free.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:58 AM   #45
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I didn't take his first post as rude at all. He did say 'horrid', which is probably slightly over the top, but other than that it looked like constructive criticism to me.

Then everyone piles on, and things ramped up, but the first post seemed fine to me.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #46
bettman
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

it was fine. During the season he is with Flames part time. Seldom goes to practice. Has a buddy in the front office, allegedly Mike Burke. Gets some stuff. Players don't know him and he doesn't have the personality to know them. I think he does fine considering that, minimal personality and a speech abnormality. A good guy to pay attention to because of his archive of numbers.
bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:08 PM   #47
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I didn't take his first post as rude at all. He did say 'horrid', which is probably slightly over the top, but other than that it looked like constructive criticism to me.

Then everyone piles on, and things ramped up, but the first post seemed fine to me.
The problem is that there seems to be a certain way to dish out constructive criticism, otherwise people tend to take offense.

Generally I try to follow the "Here's all the things I thought were done well" to establish a positive stance, then transition over to "here what I thought could have done better" to finish off with something constructive.

Sometimes people skip over the positive part and just go right into the criticism, which leaves the post with a negative connotation and puts people on the defensive.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super-Rye For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #48
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Rye View Post
The problem is that there seems to be a certain way to dish out constructive criticism, otherwise people tend to take offense.

Generally I try to follow the "Here's all the things I thought were done well" to establish a positive stance, then transition over to "here what I thought could have done better" to finish off with something constructive.

Sometimes people skip over the positive part and just go right into the criticism, which leaves the post with a negative connotation and puts people on the defensive.
Yeah, I agree 100%. It could have been better, but it wasn't so bad that it needed to be called out by five or more other posters, in my opinion.

Anyway, lets get this back about the content of the podcast.

I thought the Ollas Mattsson stuff was particularly interesting. I still have about 10 minutes left that I'll listen to later, but I found it very enjoyable, and I hope he does it weekly.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #49
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

The good news is he has the content nailed and just needs to improve the production. That's way better than the average internet wannabe who has the tech nailed but only valid content
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #50
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I liked it... A good listen for anyone that reads his blog. Hope he does a few more over the summer and maybe into the new season.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #51
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would happily contribute to a go find me if it meant higher quality recorded podcasts at a decent frequency. Haynes is the go to guru for legit Flames insight
Old 07-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #52
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
Oh, get off your exaggerating high horse. Darren doesn't have a new idea. He's not a sensitive child needing your protection. This isn't a difficult job for him as he does this PROFESSIONALLY on the fan960 and most likely other radio stations. I get that a few of you don't care about quality. That's fine. Enjoy it. However, as a professional, I disagree as audio is every bit as important as content and almost every professional would agree with me (if you don't I question your professionalism). You don't have great video and poor audio and release it to the public. You don't write a good story and release it on toilet paper.

This is, however, great for Flames fans and hockey fans in general. I hope he acquires a microphone and continues. You chaps are SJWing this, as usual. I'm not saying he needs a studio. I'm not saying he needs a producer. I'm saying he needs a bloody microphone and not an iPhone recorder.

Now, are you little boys done guarding these monkey bars on the playground yet? Is the princess coming soon so you can get your kisses?
lol what an embarrassing breakdown.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #53
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

@DarrenWHaynes
Your voice has been heard, loud and clear. Next time, hopefully mine will be too. #RIPConsumersDistributingClassic
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #54
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Nm
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #55
greentree
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
@DarrenWHaynes
Your voice has been heard, loud and clear. Next time, hopefully mine will be too. #RIPConsumersDistributingClassic
Class act. Love this guy!
greentree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greentree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #56
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the content, would be much happier if it was easier (better quality) to hear. I look forward to more if Darren wants to continue!
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #57
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When the only negative feedback is production quality, you've got yourself one hell of a product already.

Looking forward to hour long podcasts with Haynes all season
Old 07-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #58
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am all for people doing things and starting things and being spontaneous in content creation. But in today's age of sound and video technology, criticism on quality issues is totally valid. No reason for people to jump all over TBQH. Totally fair to point out poor audio. It directly affects the way the content is experienced.

And, I am glad to hear that Mr. Haynes will correct this for the next episode. Wins all the way around.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:08 PM   #59
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

The audio quality didn't bother me too much, just glad to have high quality Flames conversation in my ears.... Really look forward to this continuing
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:18 PM   #60
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved it... being someone who does a podcast, started with sound troubles, and still struggle with the gripes of Sound quality... even with expensive gear I understand what people are saying.

I reached out to Darren and offered him a good quality USB mic that we don't use anymore if he was interested in it.