Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #1141
Doodlebug
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have always thought it would be neat to have a watch and or classic car club in town modelled on the manhatten classic car club.

http://classiccarclubmanhattan.com/

If you could meld both into one offering, high end watches and classic/high end cars.....
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:27 AM   #1142
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a strange question about the weight of a watch... I've tried looking it up but I have not really been able to find an answer to my question.

Recently I ordered a Seiko SKX009K2 (Pepsi diver). It arrived recently and it's... not heavy? Is the SKX009 and 007 supposed to be light weight? It doesn't look like it's weight (if that makes sense). The watch came with a Jubilee band if that makes any difference. This watch is also easily lighter than my Seiko SNA525P1.

I'm asking this question because I recently tried on a Seiko SSC017 (Light blue and black) and it felt way heavier (which I liked). The SSC017 is supposed to be a little heavy in many reviews, but if memory serves, the weight difference is huge and not a minuscule difference. I didn't note any weight comments about the 007 and 009 in any reviews.

The SSC017 is rated at 6.56 OZ = 185 grams while the 009 is rated at 200 grams on Amazon. I would expect the opposite (unless one is weirdly weighing the watch without a strap?).

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000...ilpage_o00_s00

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SSC017-S.../dp/B006Y9BUZA

Anyone with a 007 or 009 and can comment about the weight of the watch or point me in the right direction for what to google? I think I'm just used to having boat anchors on my hand. All evidence points to the watch being genuine and being fake is not really more than 1% of my concern. I'm wondering if I'm just a goof and the weight issue is stemming from the weight of the Jubilee strap (which sorta feels cheap).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #1143
Doodlebug
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'd take the watch to any watch repair shop (esp ones that sell seiko), and have then remove the case back to make sure its a seiko movement. I know a couple of shops downtown that would do this, and probably cost less then $10 bucks for piece of mind.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doodlebug For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #1144
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch is a genuine Seiko per the Jeweller/Watch shop I frequent. After the band was adjusted and more snug, I realize the dial is somewhat weighty, so I guess the lightness of the watch is indeed due to the band.

Update: I have to send the watch back due to a defect or damage. Bleh.

Last edited by DoubleF; 05-07-2015 at 09:24 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #1145
Righteous1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone ever buy from jomashop.com?
Righteous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #1146
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous1 View Post
Anyone ever buy from jomashop.com?
Yes, I purchased a TW Steel watch from them last year. No issues.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #1147
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the best, if not the best online watch re-sellers.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #1148
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Where is a good place to have batteries replaced? I have 8 watches between my wife and I that need batteries. Nothing overly fancy just some vestal, Nixon & Bulovas.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #1149
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A question regarding Orient watches. How do they compare to a Seiko? They seem to be a bit lower priced. Is it one of those Pepsi vs. Coke arguments? Anyone here own both brands?
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #1150
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

Hi All, I've just been kinda lurking in this thread. But all y'all know what you guys are talking about and I thought I'd ask for your advice. Our coworker is leaving the company and we'd like to get him a nice watch. We've been approved for $150 gift. Could you recommend some brands to look at in that price range that aren't terribly bad quality?

NSFL=Not So Funny Lady. But I will also accept Not Safe For Life and Not Sober For Long.

You know you wanna read about nail polish:

http://polish-holic.blogspot.com/
NSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #1151
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFL View Post
Hi All, I've just been kinda lurking in this thread. But all y'all know what you guys are talking about and I thought I'd ask for your advice. Our coworker is leaving the company and we'd like to get him a nice watch. We've been approved for $150 gift. Could you recommend some brands to look at in that price range that aren't terribly bad quality?
Is he a young guy? Have you seen the type of watch he wears? Is he active and enjoy sports and outdoors? Is he a huge nerd?

Might be able to narrow it down based on those criteria

Last edited by TheyCallMeBruce; 05-14-2015 at 07:43 PM.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:37 PM   #1152
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

Huge nerd. 50s. His watches all look very complex. Not simple.

NSFL=Not So Funny Lady. But I will also accept Not Safe For Life and Not Sober For Long.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #1153
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Huge nerd. 50s. His watches all look very complex. Not simple.
maybe something here?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/watches/
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheyCallMeBruce For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #1154
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

I don't know which fandoms he likes, though. But I'll run it by the others.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #1155
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

You cannot buy a good memento parting gift watch for $150, don't even try.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:43 PM   #1156
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

I think the only way to do it may be going the novelty route. As going for high end watch won't happen.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:48 PM   #1157
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a sincerely meant present, I always try buying the most expensive thing within the budget. Something a person would not buy for him/herself, because it's too expensive. $150 is not a huge budget, but a reasonable sum of money. A set of high-end cuff-links, or a very nice tie, or a set of designer handkerchiefs. You get the idea - something out of the ordinary that would be a memento for a long time. Cheap crappy watch for $150 is a waste of $150, imho.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:52 PM   #1158
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

The problem with our coworker is that he has ties and tie clips and cuff links up the ying yang. For whatever reason, watches are the thing that he doesn't have a lot of. But wears every day. He's a total collector. There is literally no other description for him. He just likes to collect.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:45 PM   #1159
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like this guy.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #1160
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The problem with our coworker is that he has ties and tie clips and cuff links up the ying yang. For whatever reason, watches are the thing that he doesn't have a lot of. But wears every day. He's a total collector. There is literally no other description for him. He just likes to collect.
Sounds like a guy who would have no use for a $150 watch
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post: