Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2023, 12:46 AM   #2081
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
The Vital wasn’t expensive. Maybe that’s a red flag; I’ll see. If it doesn’t last, maybe it’s Apple or Garmin.
Trust me, you'll throw them in the trash or a drawer within a few months and buy better ones. There's fake review engines out there, but these guys basically openly admit it, lol.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 01:44 AM   #2082
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
There's a new Birks opening in Chinook and its advertising Rolex on the drywall. Being in the mall, I hope they will be a less snobby AD experience too.
These guys are A+. I went in there with a friend who needed to do a watch repair not related to Rolex at all, one of them struck up a conversation with me while I was waiting. They were very generous with their time anyways, let me try on a bunch of display models.

Last edited by GullFoss; 10-11-2023 at 01:46 AM.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2023, 03:14 PM   #2083
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had such a good recent experience on Chrono24 with Japanese sellers, I decided to get my dad's birthday gift off of there too.

He's always loved the Brosnan-era Bond Seamaster, but the chronograph version which is a 2599.80. However, I found the revised version with the nicer dial detailing, which is the 2225.80.

Presenting, the Omega Seamaster Professional Diver 300m -deep breath- Chronograph, model 2225.80.

I made the purchase on Thursday evening last week, and the seller shipped out yesterday... and it's here today. So effectively they overnighted it ... for free. Yes, shipping in the listing was free. Pretty cool.

The watch, as I'm coming to appreciate with Japanese trusted dealers, is better than the description and in fantastic shape. You can definitely see that it is a previously-owned piece (unlike my Aqua Terra GMT Chrono which looked like it had never been worn until I got it), but still in very, very good shape. It's also nice that this one comes with the box, papers, tag, etc. whereas mine didn't (not that it matters much to me).

Interestingly, when I bought mine, my purchase was subject to both 5% duty and 5% GST when importing (which also took a week). That was with DHL. This time? Just GST, no duty payable. UPS (or maybe the seller?) specified tariff code 33 and so there was 0% duty levied. Score!

Now to send this off to my dad so he can start enjoying it himself. Can't keep it here forever, as much as I'd like to.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2023, 03:55 PM   #2084
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've mostly bought used camera equipment as opposed to watches, but Japanese sellers are awesome for used items. Their stuff is always in great shape (often better than listed), well priced, and they are super fast with processing. For electronics, it's come to the point where I'd often rather buy from trusted Japanese sellers than locally.

Oh, and sweet watch! Great of you to get that for your dad.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2023, 02:14 PM   #2085
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Special shout out to Torque who gave me some guidance on the process for Chrono24. Bought this watch as my Speedy is in my servicing and its going to take 6 months and didn't want my wrist to be naked.

This is a 2006 2254.50 Seamaster 300M. This is a modern classic for me in terms of a tool watch/diver. The lumes are huge, my movement is bullet proof and the sword hands are somewhat rare for the Omega Seamasters. What really drew me to this watch is its only about 11mm thick. Most modern Co-Axials are getting comically large (~16 - 18 mm).

Picked this one up from Japan, and it was just serviced. It is immaculate - I can't find any major blemishes.

For some reason my image isnt working, here is the link: https://postimg.cc/LJcgLzTB

Last edited by Leondros; 11-13-2023 at 04:29 PM.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2023, 03:47 PM   #2086
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad it worked out for you, the watch looks fantastic. The amount of lume on that thing looks like it could illuminate a football field.

I don't think I've worn another watch in my collection since my Omega AT GMT arrived. Although I'm keeping my eyes open for the 'next' piece I want to pick up; a Breitling TransOcean Chronograph Unitime (or Unitime Pilot) if I can find one for a reasonable price. The in-house B05 world-time movement is pretty damned cool.
Old 11-17-2023, 03:50 PM   #2087
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Different price point than most of these watches but I just ordered the infamous Casio Duro to add to my collection. They're currently 20-30% off on Amazon so I couldn't help but see what all the hype is about.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 04:34 PM   #2088
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Different price point than most of these watches but I just ordered the infamous Casio Duro to add to my collection. They're currently 20-30% off on Amazon so I couldn't help but see what all the hype is about.
Made famous by this guy wearing it a lot, My bezel is a bit beat up and I found it a bit large but it's kind of legendary in a Wal-Mart way.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2023, 05:36 PM   #2089
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Come on Bill just buy the real thing. It’s not like they'd wait list you. Hell, just go ahead and buy Rolex itself.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 05:48 PM   #2090
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
Come on Bill just buy the real thing. It’s not like they'd wait list you. Hell, just go ahead and buy Rolex itself.
I wonder if they’d sell to him. Maybe they’d sell to his foundation so they could continue operating as a charity.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 03:00 PM   #2091
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes I went to the Chinook Swatch store to ask as well and they must have been tired of the questions. I think they are great for the price. Scalpers already putting them up for $1000-$4000 on Ebay.

I'm ready for a Swatchmaster 300M now.
apologies if this is old news, but I don't think so

Swatch has (re) opened in Chinook center and they do have the Omega collabs, just picked one up, totally random but couldn't help myself
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 05:25 PM   #2092
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, they're much more available now. The novelty wears off quickly, I haven't touched my Mission to Mars in months.

Swatch has moved on to a plastic Blancpain Fifty Fathoms now.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 03:51 PM   #2093
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I was at Chinook and impulse picked up a Mission to the Moon Moonswatch. I might return it, the chrono hand doesn't line up with the seconds track tick marks. A frustrating sign of a cheap quartz movement with little thought put into QC for a $350 watch.

How is the chronograph hand alignment on your watches? (loooooob and Winsor_Pilates)
Old 11-19-2023, 09:06 PM   #2094
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly haven't looked that closely, it's pretty much just a toy to me. Maybe I'll look now that you've mentioned it.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:12 AM   #2095
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I was at Chinook and impulse picked up a Mission to the Moon Moonswatch. I might return it, the chrono hand doesn't line up with the seconds track tick marks. A frustrating sign of a cheap quartz movement with little thought put into QC for a $350 watch.

How is the chronograph hand alignment on your watches? (loooooob and Winsor_Pilates)
Speaking of second hand alignment - I'm very impressed with the second hand alignment on the Duro I got. I'd say it hits each second mark perfectly (within my ability to notice). Easily the best second hand alignment of any of my Quartz watches.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 10:15 AM   #2096
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Speaking of second hand alignment - I'm very impressed with the second hand alignment on the Duro I got. I'd say it hits each second mark perfectly (within my ability to notice). Easily the best second hand alignment of any of my Quartz watches.
Casio is the only manufacturer that seems to care and be consistent with quartz alignment. Timex has recently been coming out with retro Q-Timex and other high end models that are $200-$500 and the alignment is a joke on them.
Old 11-20-2023, 10:33 AM   #2097
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Yeah, they're much more available now. The novelty wears off quickly, I haven't touched my Mission to Mars in months.

Swatch has moved on to a plastic Blancpain Fifty Fathoms now.
Apparently the Calgary Swatch store will not be getting any Fifty fathom happy meal watches yet. Only BC, Ontario & Quebec for now.

I still wear a couple of the mission to X swatches when dressed down on weekends. The hand alignments are fine on mine, but you definitely need to change out the OEM straps. The stock velcro straps look cheap, bulge out awkwardly, and arent very comfortable.

Last edited by NuclearFart; 11-20-2023 at 10:36 AM.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 01:34 PM   #2098
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So I went to check now & mine is off on some of the marks too. It hits some & misses others.
Not something I personally would have looked at, but since you mentioned it, thought I'd check.
Old 11-20-2023, 02:11 PM   #2099
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
So I went to check now & mine is off on some of the marks too. It hits some & misses others.
Not something I personally would have looked at, but since you mentioned it, thought I'd check.
Thanks, I took it back today and looked at 5 different ones and they were all a little bit off here and there. I did end up keeping the best one out of the bunch but maybe one day I'll fix it myself by removing the chrono hand and reapplying it. That's one problem with Quartz that Casio has fixed but everybody else screws up for some reason.
Old 11-20-2023, 02:13 PM   #2100
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
Apparently the Calgary Swatch store will not be getting any Fifty fathom happy meal watches yet. Only BC, Ontario & Quebec for now.
They did the same thing with the Moonswatch.

Personally, I'm not sure if these cross-collabs are the right move. Is it the right way to introduce people to these brands by giving them -- as you so perfectly put it -- "Happy Meal"-grade versions of luxury watch marques?

At least for the Fifty-Fathoms, they're using a mechanical movement instead of a $50 ETA Swiss quartz chronograph movement as in the Moonswatch.