Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: Donald Trump's first 100 days have been a success.
Agree 45 11.00%
Not sure 22 5.38%
Disagree 342 83.62%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 09:08 PM   #41
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Why else do you think they actually want to cut funding?
Only profit and market economy is best for the free press, clearly.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:15 PM   #42
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Paul Ryan says it best, moving from an opposition party (8 years of voting to repeal the ACA while never once offering an alternative, improvement) to ruling a party that wants to take away health care, albeit flawed from tens of millions of Americans is not popular... Shocking! SAD!

Old 03-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #43
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

What alternate reality to they live in?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:24 PM   #44
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

The good news is this is not the fault of Trump or Ryan, its the Democrats.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:24 PM   #45
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Message was something like, "Governing is hard. We did good when we obstructed. Now that we're in control we don't know what we're doing." Blah blah.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:31 PM   #46
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

It's probably an appropriate time to see a Canadian doctor destroy a Republican, cocky guy who thinks Canadian's are desperate to flee to America's amazing health care system....

Last edited by Thor; 03-24-2017 at 09:37 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 09:31 PM   #47
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Flames Fan View Post
I liked the speech Trump did after they pulled the Bill. Democrats are in a Lose Lose right now. For them to play partisan politics particularly on a terrible alternative that is Obamacare is bad politics for them. Trump saying he wants Democratic support for a new Bill is him reaching out. The people need a government that works together. Expecting 100% support or opposition from a party on any Bill is not real politics.

So lets hear from people that are living in the US on this forum and their view on Obamacare. Is it working for you or has it been a disaster? Hillary just tweeted its a great day for Americans. I have previously posted my grievances. My rates went up 49%. Coverage decreased and deductibles increased. Most people I know make over $15,000 so do not get covered for free healthcare. Some make 30-50k per year and they cannot afford the premium hikes. They will need to pay the $4500 Obamacare tax. Are there any people on this forum who live in the USA that have anything positive to say about Obamacare?
Hook, line, aaaaaaaaaand sinker!
Old 03-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #48
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoops lol

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/845453917064441857
Old 03-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #49
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I liked the speech Trump did after they pulled the Bill. Democrats are in a Lose Lose right now. For them to play partisan politics particularly on a terrible alternative that is Obamacare is bad politics for them. Trump saying he wants Democratic support for a new Bill is him reaching out. The people need a government that works together. Expecting 100% support or opposition from a party on any Bill is not real politics.

So lets hear from people that are living in the US on this forum and their view on Obamacare. Is it working for you or has it been a disaster? Hillary just tweeted its a great day for Americans. I have previously posted my grievances. My rates went up 49%. Coverage decreased and deductibles increased. Most people I know make over $15,000 so do not get covered for free healthcare. Some make 30-50k per year and they cannot afford the premium hikes. They will need to pay the $4500 Obamacare tax. Are there any people on this forum who live in the USA that have anything positive to say about Obamacare?
More people view obamacare favorably than unfavorably, so I'm not sure how the Democrats lose here...
Old 03-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #50
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default American Politics Thread: Orange is the new POTUS

Was listening to Dan Carling's Common Sense podcast and he did a really good job breaking down the US health care system and pointing out the issues with the current system.

Worth the listen if you like a fairly neutral analysis of the US healthcare system:

http://www.dancarlin.com/product/com...ealthy-numbers
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 01:22 AM   #51
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:
Icon31

Quote:
Are there any people on this forum who live in the USA that have anything positive to say about Obamacare?
You are the only person I'm aware of against it. Mostly because POS Texas failed to support the exchanges so now you are paying for it out of pocket.

That's how it works in red states. The church is supposed to take care of you, not the government. Unless you aren't Christian of course!

Or white!

Or straight!

In which case you are a "taker".

I feel bad for you. I think you came here to stir the pot, but have gotten stomped so often you keep pointing to your personal rate hike to try to elicit sympathy.

That's not Obama's fault though. It's Texas's.

I lived in Texas for 13 years, the early part without insurance. When I lost my job Obamacare allowed me to get insurance so I could drive across a BUNCH of POS red states to get to a good state without worrying about a car wreck on the way bankrupting my great grandchildren.

All the way to California.

Where the Democrats, progressives, and liberals run pretty much everything. Not quite Canada (yet) but I'm doing my part!

And it's wayyyyyyy better because we don't turn away from the facts to make ourselves feel better. And not coincidentally we have the largest economy in the country, with a well funded and organized healthcare exchange that keeps the costs down.

But hey! You got dudes like Rick Perry in charge! That'll work out AWESOME!

Enjoy your fracking btw. And try not to drink the water at any point north of Lewisville or Flower Mound.

It tastes like sh-t, and with Republicans in charge a Flint situation is probably going to happen sooner than later.

Good luck with that.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Old 03-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #52
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great post however I don't think you get to complain about fracking when you produce the worlds dirtiest oil. Also fracking the only real issue is water disposal which with proper regulation could be handled in an environmentally sensitive way.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 07:56 AM   #53
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rates went up 49% last year in all of Texas unless you make less than $15,000/year single or $30,000 married.
Seems like premiums were going up pretty quickly before the ACA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Just heard Bernie Sanders say that the top 5 drug manufacturers make $50 billion/year.
Maybe that's part of your problem.
The top 5 drug manufacturers, also known as "the people who are curing cancer". How much of that $50 bn went back into R&D? Bernie's mob-stoking class warfare populist rhetoric isn't much better than Trump's at times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
And it's wayyyyyyy better because we don't turn away from the facts to make ourselves feel better.
{...}
Enjoy your fracking btw. And try not to drink the water at any point north of Lewisville or Flower Mound.
Yeah, no, Californians are known for their measured, rational approach to issues like oil and gas extraction. Just ask Jane Fonda.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #54
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good article from David Frum (Feels weird typing that) called "The Republican Waterloo" ) in which he spends the whole time saying "I told you so".

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...terloo/520833/

With the passing of the AHA, Frum had written an article imploring his fellow conservatives to get away from the right wing media before it was too late. The GOP and the right wing media do not have the same goals or challenges. A political party succeeds on compromise, building consensus and dealing with intricate policies. The right wing media's only goal is whip up anger to keep ratings high. They trade in short soundbites and dispose inconvenient facts. That's something a successful ruling party simply can't do.

It boils down to this: the right wing media spent so much time denigrating policies and policy makers it made them successful, but it changed the Republican party. The party became the back seat drivers that don't know how to drive.

It's been an easy road to election for most of the GOP these last 6 years. Fox, Rush, Beck, etc made the right so angry about their alleged treatment at the hands of those damn libtards they simply had to promise to fight against them. It was easy to scream about how bad Obamacare is, but much harder to actually construct something useful.

They'll be in for a tough re election because they're realizing they've replaced the Dems as the drivers to their GOP backseat driving primary challengers.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #55
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The top 5 drug manufacturers, also known as "the people who are curing cancer". How much of that $50 bn went back into R&D?
None. R&D costs are normally considered operational costs and can be written off for tax credit, increasing the bottom line. For pharma, profit is the cream off the top.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...on-net-income/

http://www.pharmexec.com/2016-pharm-exec-50

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28212223

Looking at just the US operations in 2015, Pfizer ($43.112B), Kerck ($35.244B), Gilead ($32.151B), Johnson & Johnson ($29.864B), and Glaxo (S27.051B) had combined revenues of $167.422B. These companies spent 17% ($28.861B) on R&D costs. Almost all of them spent two times that (or more) on advertising.

Pfizer alone made a whopping 42% profit on $43.112B in revenues. That's a staggering $18.1B in profit, or 236% of R&D expenditures.

Quote:
Bernie's mob-stoking class warfare populist rhetoric isn't much better than Trump's at times.
Your inability to do research and find out your rhetoric is weak is almost as bad as Texas Flames Fans.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #56
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
The GOP and the right wing media do not have the same goals or challenges. A political party succeeds on compromise, building consensus and dealing with intricate policies. The right wing media's only goal is whip up anger to keep ratings high. They trade in short soundbites and dispose inconvenient facts.

It boils down to this: the right wing media spent so much time denigrating policies and policy makers it made them successful, but it changed the Republican party. The party became the back seat drivers that don't know how to drive.

Wow, these are such strong, powerful, accurate statements. Are they wholly yours? May I use them?
Old 03-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #57
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

Wow, these are such strong, powerful, accurate statements. Are they wholly yours? May I use them?
They are mine, as an interpretation of Frum's article linked. Go nuts if you want to use them
Old 03-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #58
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The top 5 drug manufacturers, also known as "the people who are curing cancer". How much of that $50 bn went back into R&D? Bernie's mob-stoking class warfare populist rhetoric isn't much better than Trump's at times.
Haha,
But anyways, about half as much as they spend on advertising.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:02 AM   #59
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'll never guess where Trump is today. Well of course you will, but at least try and act surprised.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:06 AM   #60
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
You'll never guess where Trump is today. Well of course you will, but at least try and act surprised.
You'd be wrong because you'd guess he'd be at his golf course at "Winter White House" at Mar a Lago. He's not there.

He's at his golf course in Virginia
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
america first=loss , healthcare=loss , so much winning... , thats damn good covfefe , there will be tweetstorms