Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-22-2016, 09:20 AM   #141
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
What the #### is going on.
Washington township caused a rift in time. Lights flickering is time splitting into two possibilities. Trenton and Mobley want to go back and stop what happened, Mr. Robot flickering is that time state losing stability like in Back to The Future.

We are seeing multiple possible realities all playing out around each other.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #142
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Washington township caused a rift in time. Lights flickering is time splitting into two possibilities. Trenton and Mobley want to go back and stop what happened, Mr. Robot flickering is that time state losing stability like in Back to The Future.

We are seeing multiple possible realities all playing out around each other.
No, we're seeing one reality play out: a show runner given too much freedom after a successful first season, with no real idea of what to do with it. As a result, we get a self-indulgent, style over substance mess that wastes a lot of time and the potential of the original story.

It was True Detective Season 2 all over again.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2016, 07:54 PM   #143
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
No, we're seeing one reality play out: a show runner given too much freedom after a successful first season, with no real idea of what to do with it. As a result, we get a self-indulgent, style over substance mess that wastes a lot of time and the potential of the original story.

It was True Detective Season 2 all over again.
Agreed.

As I said earlier in the thread, this style of writing doesn't lend itself to a TV series well at all. A rudderless season, no doubt.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #144
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Writers pulled a LOST.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #145
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

meh, I just started this show this season, was able to watch all of season 1 and then this season and I don't know if I really care about this show at all

It's too bad because I was pretty interested at the start.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:16 PM   #146
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

This entire season wss completely over my head. I'm just confused
Old 09-22-2016, 09:43 PM   #147
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to pile on my earlier post after more thought....

The whole second half of the season was hinging on a key question: What is Phase 2? What is the Dark Army planning? Oh, it was Elliot's plan! What was Elliot planning?? Oh, it was Elliot and Wellick planning it together!! What were they planning??? And the big reveal. . . . .

They're going to blow up a building to destroy paper records. That's it.

Not only completely underwhelming, but it appears that Esmail, without ideas of his own, just went back to Fight Club to rip off the other big reveal at the end of the movie.

And the other big reveal from the finale; that the FBI had the complete hierarchy of fsociety mapped out, including Elliot. . . . Elliot was in prison! He was convicted of a crime and incarcerated in a federal or state institution! Did they not do a simple computer search for his name?

Last edited by Mike F; 09-22-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:37 PM   #148
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
And the other big reveal from the finale; that the FBI had the complete hierarchy of fsociety mapped out, including Elliot. . . . Elliot was in prison! He was convicted of a crime and incarcerated in a federal or state institution! Did they not do a simple computer search for his name?
Spoiler!
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:40 PM   #149
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah that was disappointing. Got way too out if whack and went completely off the rails. Cant undo what they just did in anyway that makes sense.

What a mess.

Last edited by polak; 09-22-2016 at 10:43 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2016, 01:35 AM   #150
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I'm still fairly convinced it's time travel. The events of phase 2 and the missing 3 days of the first hack coincide with each other, it jumped from memory recall, while dreaming, of the missing 3 days from 5/9 to the "real" conclusion of phase 2 in the van.

Elliot talking to Tyrell was the speech Mr. Robot gave to Tyrell in season 1 before 5/9. There are two separate instances of missing time and they both have nearly identical situations and the timelines overlap.

Last edited by AcGold; 09-23-2016 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:45 AM   #151
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I liked when Elliott was the introverted hacker vigilante morphine addict in his little apartment in season 1.
Things made sense then.

However I still can't stop watching.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #152
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Spoiler!
Which after credits scene? The only one I caught was after this last episode, and I didn't see anything there that linked to what you're referring to....
Old 09-23-2016, 08:45 AM   #153
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

I still think this season could have been much better had they cut the three episodes of Elliot's insanity down to one. It would have given Esmail & co. a bunch more time to roll the plot forward without losing any of his beloved character development.

Nothing really happened this season. Mr. Robot wasn't flickering because of a time rift, it's because Wellick shot Elliot.

I'll watch this series to the end like I did with LOST, but it's definitely disappointing.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #154
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The after credit scene made me think they're going to start a new part of the story with the Joey Badass character and Mobly and the other girl. Sounded like they were trying to reverse the hack? Which doesn't make sense if Elliots jail friend was actually Dark Army (unless he's there to kill them which would be a dumb cliffhanger).

The phone call with Tyrell and Angela was after Elliot was shot as the power outages were happening so he's still alive. Of course Angela has to have some crazy part in this because everything needs to be not as it appears... Stupid.

Just a stupid way to end the season. I liked all of the FBI, Darlene, Angela (up until Angela meets White Rose) stuff but all of the Elliot "what's real and what's not" nonsense got stale quick since his story wasn't moving forward at all. I did like the FBI reveal and I buy that the FBI let Elliot sit in jail. They didn't want to send the rest of F Society into hiding. Since Tyrell is obviously alive (Assuming Elliot was actually shot, stupid) then I wonder what the shell casing in the arcade was from.

I'll give season 3 a shot but it's going to be a short leash. This show has fallen hard from season 1. I wouldn't even recommend it to others after that debacle.

The Finale is sitting at 70% on RT. Worst score for an episode of Mr Robot by a lot. Frankly I'm surprised it has 70% fresh reviews....

Last edited by polak; 09-23-2016 at 11:57 AM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #155
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I liked all of the FBI, Darlene, Angela (up until Angela meets White Rose) stuff but all of the Elliot "what's real and what's not" nonsense got stale quick since his story wasn't moving forward at all.
My prediction for season 3 is that they grab another part from Fight Club and have the gunshot Elliot suffered being the catalyst to merge "Elliot" & "Mr. Robot" into one personality.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #156
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

So this is how I figure it's working. Coupling and decoupling in a multiverse, skip to 1:00

A decoupling parallel universe created at the township
Old 10-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #157
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well I just finished wasting a few hours of my life watching the final episodes of season 2. What a brutal disappointment. They have taken this show completely off the rails. If you have to over-think deep meanings to come up with some sort of explanation after each episode I would say something is wrong with the show.

I am convinced the writer is either on acid or has multiple personality disorder himself.

Amazing that he has convinced a season 3 renewal. This show is a complete mess. ugh.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #158
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #159
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Just finished season 1. Great show despite some aspects of the story being derivative (the whole split personality thing has been done to death). However overall I was impressed. Finale was the weakest episode of the season but thankfully I get to move on the S2 right away.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #160
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
I think it's moved forward significantly, there are themes and references that are telling the story under the surface.

The show has referenced Lolita, the lost files of Mrs. Frankweiler, Time cop, Stargate, Pulp Fiction, the Book by Lovecraft and most importantly back to the future (in nearly every episode). Every one of these references has very common themes and is telling the audience where the show will go.

There's a plot beneath the surface telling a science fiction alternate reality/time travel story. There are dozens of events in the show that tie in together that are unexplained.

S1E4, Angela hands Elliot a key, calls Elliot a monster and glitches out. Just because things aren't panning out linearly or logically doesn't mean it's not progressing, every scene is somehow relating to the central hidden story that relates to time travel and alternate realities.

Don't you notice how difficult it is to discern what is happening, why it's happening, when it's happening and who is actually doing it sometimes? How Angelas behavior is becoming increasingly peculiar? There's more than just the surficial story. Esmail is swinging for the fences on this one and most don't see that yet. I predict it goes full on Interstellar/Lynchian craziness, the show is like a Nolan movie mixed with a David Lynch movie. High level sci-fi concepts mixed with abject surrealism and philosophies. Without careful attention to the small details it's probably a frustrating experience because it's so nonsensical on the surface.
I'm kind of insulted that you compared Nolan or this show to David Lynch.

This show couldn't decide if it wanted to be Lynchian or more palatable and straight forward. Unfortunately it failed at both. That doesn't mean it sucks, it just isn't knocking it out of the park like season 1.

Reminds me a bit of how the first Matrix was mainstream enough to captivate audiences while still keeping a lot of the Wachowki's philosophy in tact but the final two, without proper guidance, went way off the rails.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote