Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
The Swedish Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Sabres Booed, Ott Upset With Own Fans

Apparently Ott went on a radio-show with some thoughts on the Sabres own fans:

Quote:
Steve Ott had some harsh words for Buffalo Sabres fans today.

Which is notable, because Ott plays for the Sabres.

In an interview with WGR Radio, the 30-year-old forward expressed his disappointment with the boos the team has heard this season at the First Niagara Center.

“I think it’s completely ridiculous, to be honest with you,” Ott said, per the Buffalo News. “We go into other buildings, we’ve won a lot of games and teams should have the same amount of frustration, sold-out buildings and it’s funny becaue they’re continuing to cheer on their team. They stand behind their team. They respect the work ethic and everything else.

“It’s disheartening when we did get hemmed in our zone and they’re basically mocking us when you get up past the blueline and you finally get it in their zone after I guess you could say that minute and a half shift when they didn’t have a scoring opportunity. I guess you can say it was more the mocking of my teammates and everything else that probably pissed a lot of guys off, including myself.

“You’re a fan of the Buffalo Sabres and hopefully you come to cheer us on and motivate us to be good. We’ve got a lot of young players on this team and they definitely don’t deserve to be booed. They deserve to have that excitement and energy. It’s definitely not their fault for the last six years of frustration that’s gone on.”
He added this on Twitter:

The Swedish Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Everyone will come in here and whine about how the fans pay good money so they can boo if they want, but booing the team that you purportedly are a die hard fan of is just lame. It doesn't help anything, and it just makes a fan base sound like a bunch of frustrated spoiled children. I hate it when it happens at the dome. They don't suck on purpose, I assure you.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't like when fans boo a team for being bad, but a team deserves to get booed if they aren't giving 100% out there. I haven't watched Buffalo enough this season to say which they're doing, but Ott complaining about it will probably just make it worse.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Jsp
Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Wolven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wasn't this supposed to be the Buffalo's year to shine? They made all those moves to stock up for a successful year and then fell flat on their faces.

While I would never boo my own team, I do understand why they would be frustrated to be watching their team fall off the playoff bubble.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

What I hate more is when visiting teams' fans outcheer the home team. We've seen this with Edmonton and Vancouver crowds at the Dome. I wanted to punch every Cancuk ######bag cheering after a goal and being obnoxious last night more than any time this season. Fans should direct their booing at them. However, we haven't really had a major problem with what Ott is talking about so far.

I only pray we can avoid such a situation next season if we're not projected to do well again.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
What I hate more is when visiting teams' fans outcheer the home team. We've seen this with Edmonton and Vancouver crowds at the Dome. I wanted to punch every Cancuk ######bag cheering after a goal and being obnoxious last night more than any time this season. Fans should direct their booing at them. However, we haven't really had a major problem with what Ott is talking about so far.

I only pray we can avoid such a situation next season if we're not projected to do well again.
think i get more annoyed at the home team/dome fans than the visiting team fans in this situation.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree with him 100%
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read the full interview and he talked about getting booed after playing a horrible period in Dallas and being down 5-1 and that it was deserved. What he's taking issue with is people booing in a close game because the PP doesn't click or something like that, and I agree with him. It's one thing if a team is playing lousy, it's another to boo a team in a 1-1 game.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't totally disagree with him but I don't like it when players go out of their way to make comments about the fans. The fans will do what they do, you just go out and do your job. I recall Glencross making comments about it last season/2 seasons ago, and it didn't sit well with me. Why are you more focused on the fans than doing what you should be doing on the ice?

As far as the Flames I believe most fans here are understanding of where the team is at in their rebuild, I don't think we'll hear much booing at the Dome over the next few seasons. Its more likely to happen for a team that is massively underachieving than a developing team.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
. What he's taking issue with is people booing in a close game because the PP doesn't click or something like that
The issue here is the PP has never clicked... It's at 11.9%, league worst. The PP effort gets booed for its season long atrocity.

And who says it doesn't help things? Coach got canned after a particularly strong boo fest against Winnipeg. We're sick of most of these losers continuing to lose.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't understand why fans are allowed to cheer but shouldn't be allowed to boo.

Unless you feel the fans job is to be a mindless robot who pays a lot of money, shows up, and cheers despite the effort or product on the ice, shows a lot of disrespect towards the fan imo.

If a team is playing like junk why shouldn't the fan have the right to boo? Or even if its a team full of players who are playing their best but they just suck because their organization sucks, then why shouldn't they boo then either?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
mister__big
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

You mean a Vancouver or Edmonton fan would cheer for their team when they score? Oh the nerve on them.

If the home fans get out cheered by the visiting fans, it's because the home fans are sitting on their hands and that's not the fault of the visiting fans. You should be angry at the suits in the Dome who are there on their company's dime, texting/talking on their Blackberrys and not watching the game.
mister__big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the losing team is actually putting forth an effort, then it's uncalled for. But if you have teams like the Avs who mail it in every game, then absolutely they should be booed. You're not going to fool 19,000 people who can clearly tell when a team is sucking and not trying. The fans can't do anything...except boo.

Usually when a home team is booed, they deserve it. Calling the fans ''spoiled children'' is ridiculous, especially after everything that happened during the lockout.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can only hope that the 'Dome boos the flames. Hate to say it, but this season has been a disaster.
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #15
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
I can only hope that the 'Dome boos the flames. Hate to say it, but this season has been a disaster.
??? If there's any flames roster that deserves to be boo'd less over the past 4 playoff-less seasons, it is this one. The team isn't competitive because the team just isn't made up of the attributes required to win. Too small, not physical enough in any zone, weak defensive players. The 2012/2013 calgary flames suck because the roster doesn't cut it, not because of lack of effort night in and night out, which has been the complaint of many in the past 3 seasons.

the dome better NOT boo over the next 3-5 years. management has finally moved towards a direction of a rebuild after years of fans stating the desire for the same. Rebuilds inherently are slow, and not pretty in the early years. Flames are likely going to be just as bad, if not worse, next season, but with more young guys getting a chance. we must cheer their development and at the same time look past their mistakes.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Booing the team is acceptable in some situations. For example, when fans were so frustrated with Management not accepting reality and getting the re-build started, that was more about booing the management than the players, and that is perfectly understandable. I think that's more or less what's up in Buffalo, that's why I can understand Islander fan malaise for the past decade.

When a team is clearly better than it's performing and the players just don't seem to want to put forward the effort, i.e. Colorado this year, then it's more about booing the players, and that too is understandable.

When a team is doing all the right things and isn't succeeding because the talent isn't there yet or is maturing, but the effort is there, then I think it's ridiculous to boo the team. Because what exactly would you do differently in the place of anyone in the organization? Had Wild fans been booing the Wild last year, for example, that would've been nonsensical to me.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #17
Wolven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister__big View Post
You mean a Vancouver or Edmonton fan would cheer for their team when they score? Oh the nerve on them.

If the home fans get out cheered by the visiting fans, it's because the home fans are sitting on their hands and that's not the fault of the visiting fans. You should be angry at the suits in the Dome who are there on their company's dime, texting/talking on their Blackberrys and not watching the game.
The real issue there is not the visiting fans, it is the "import population".

With how much Calgary has grown over the years and how heavily that growth has relied upon people moving to Calgary from BC, Saskatchewan and the maratimes, it has really shown in both the Flames and Stamps games just how many of these new Calgarians have brought their old sports loyalties with them.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #18
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
The real issue there is not the visiting fans, it is the "import population".

With how much Calgary has grown over the years and how heavily that growth has relied upon people moving to Calgary from BC, Saskatchewan and the maratimes, it has really shown in both the Flames and Stamps games just how many of these new Calgarians have brought their old sports loyalties with them.
This also explains why Gerry Forbes still has a job
darockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darockwilder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

I boo'ed a Flames power play about 2 years ago.

I honestly couldn't help it. They were horrific.

It was a double minor, and I don't think they managed to even gain the offensive zone with the puck the entire first 2 mins. I think they finished a 4 min man advantage with one shot.

I didn't even want to boo, it just happened.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #20
Badger Bob
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What does Ott expect? After paying $135, that fans should give a group hug and offer to buy post-game brews after a poor effort by Sabres players?
Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote