Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #1481
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

damn you!

must resist opening this thread!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:11 PM   #1482
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
This is the watch I want

Had set myself a business goal for this year and was planning to buy it if I reach that target, but pretty unlikely now with the Covid curveball. Maybe in 2021.
Love the Yachtmasters as a less conventional Rolex... great choice!
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:12 PM   #1483
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
PS: If I wanted to take the next step in watch levels, like a Seamaster, where does one begin the search? Amazon? Local retailer only etc? With that kind of investment I want to try to get a deal, but also protect myself from fraud and warranty.
Since Calgary doesn't have an OMEGA boutique (which they have been leaning towards in their quest to go upmarket), Calgary Jewellery is the authorized dealer here, so you probably want to talk to them first. I've never bought anything myself from them but they seemed nice enough to chat with. You can also look online and go grey market. A place like Jomashop.com sells real-deal watches, but you get their warranty, not the one from the manufacturer.

Discount wise, you probably won't get much from an Omega boutique, but could probably get something from an AD, depending on the watch. When I got my Speedy many years ago, I believe I got something like a 30% discount from a dealer in DC.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 01:12 PM   #1484
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Since Calgary doesn't have an OMEGA boutique (which they have been leaning towards in their quest to go upmarket), Calgary Jewellery is the authorized dealer here, so you probably want to talk to them first. I've never bought anything myself from them but they seemed nice enough to chat with. You can also look online and go grey market. A place like Jomashop.com sells real-deal watches, but you get their warranty, not the one from the manufacturer.

Discount wise, you probably won't get much from an Omega boutique, but could probably get something from an AD, depending on the watch. When I got my Speedy many years ago, I believe I got something like a 30% discount from a dealer in DC.
For the bargain shoppers , Costco in Deerfoot Meadows had an Omega Seamaster in black and silver for a very reasonable price, last time I happened to look at watches there. If I didn't already have it, I would have bought it for sure.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #1485
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Nice! I've always loved those. It's got such a cool understated Japanese vibe to it...makes you think of some smoky after-hours cocktail bar in Tokyo.

I only have one Seiko at the moment (a first-gen Samurai dive watch) but the JDM stuff especially is always very tempting.
The cocktail time is surprisingly capable of being modest while being capable of catching someone's eye from across the room which is kind of weird. It is a blatantly plain watch from a distance, but up close and personal there's so many microscopic details that are alluring (then again, this is the same for most luxury watches which is why Sliver was warned not to wear one to retain ignorance is bliss).

Those who know what watch it is often want to see it up close, even if they also own it. The blue refraction on the dial is amazing but faint. In person it almost looks like lighting trickery. Tilting the watch to different angles and watching the refraction change the look of the dial due to the blue dial and the pattern on the dial is mesmerizing. The strap is above average nice, but you have to look at it close up to appreciate it. It doesn't really stick out as one of the nicest straps in my collection, but it is a damn nice one for sure.

Style wise it does lean more towards something slightly above average in formality, even as a dress watch. To me, it just sits slightly out of place as a daily driver. It's too nice for that. Drinks at the bar, work etc. IMO it feels a tiny bit too showy. But something barely a step up like a polo t-shirt, cigars, and a Wisers gif calibre beverage? Fits right in. I wore mine a ton to weddings, formals, dinner parties and clubbing. Fits right in. The Orient Sun and Moon on the other hand feels like it still holds its ground against the Cocktail time, but I feel comfortable wearing it as a daily driver as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Where can I get an Orient Mako serviced in Calgary?

It’s about 5 years old and the bracelet has detached from the watch twice now. It feels like the rods that connect the bracelet to the watch are weaker than the rods that connect each individual piece of the bracelet together. I had it fixed at the Bay watch repair but the rods still bend and eventually detach.

Kinda frustrating since I love the watch. Am I doing something wrong?

PS: If I wanted to take the next step in watch levels, like a Seamaster, where does one begin the search? Amazon? Local retailer only etc? With that kind of investment I want to try to get a deal, but also protect myself from fraud and warranty.
No, I don't think you're doing anything wrong. You just perhaps ended up unlucky. If the rod is bent, the integrity of the rod is compromised and it'll keep bending until you replace it. Repair is a waste of time. Replace it instead. Rods should not be more than a few bucks.

If it's just the rods, why not just buy the parts and do it yourself? It shouldn't cost more than $20 or so for both new rods and the watch adjustment kit. Having the kit would also allow you to relatively easily adjust bands on new watches as needed. I've also done it for friends as well. Heck, you could even buy a new compatible strap to just test out the to test out the look (some of the straps are pretty inexpensive) and cannibalize the rods.

https://www.amazon.ca/Repair-Profess...s%2C182&sr=8-6

Actually, this set already comes with rods. Your call on how to approach the watch.

Next level watch shopping IMO is literally chatting with others who own stuff in that tier. Who did they go to, did the haggle, how was the shopping experience, things to note when buying the item, questions to ask the retailer? There's about 3-4 jewelers in Calgary that seem to be the most reputable on the higher end stuff, travel to specific places, different websites (Amazon, ebay, watch websites etc.) have different reputation levels etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
For the bargain shoppers , Costco in Deerfoot Meadows had an Omega Seamaster in black and silver for a very reasonable price, last time I happened to look at watches there. If I didn't already have it, I would have bought it for sure.
I'm tempted to go see it sometime just to see it in person... There's just something different about a luxury watch pre and post ownership.

I do like the Seamaster Aquaterra, but somehow I think if I end up owning an Omega, it will be the De Ville. I'm probably younger than most of you, but I guess I'm a bit of an old soul.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 02:17 PM   #1486
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha damn! It was way overdue and I finally got myself a nice new office-place calibre watch (ironically less than a week before we got temporarily laid off from Covid-19). I was pretty proud of it until I saw most of the watches in this thread lol. Some super nice ones!
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #1487
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Haha damn! It was way overdue and I finally got myself a nice new office-place calibre watch (ironically less than a week before we got temporarily laid off from Covid-19). I was pretty proud of it until I saw most of the watches in this thread lol. Some super nice ones!
What did you get?

Oh and in general about watch purchases. Amazon does these fashion sales on a regular basis. When that happens, many watches see a 15-30% discount. It's definitely worth checking camelcamelcamel for the price history on a watch you're tracking.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #1488
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh just a Hugo Boss one nothing special, but it's got a nice face on it and was more than I'd usually spend. T'was overdue! I was looking at Movado ones before that actually had some decent sales, but not on the one I was eyeballing. I like this thread even for checking them out, some super nice ones in here
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 03:24 PM   #1489
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
If you could share, I'm curious about the Costco price vs. the standard boutique price.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:53 PM   #1490
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
If you could share, I'm curious about the Costco price vs. the standard boutique price.
OK, I didn't focus on the price too much because I knew I wasn't going to buy it, so don't assume I am right. I want to say it was $3,900 - maybe a touch less.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:32 AM   #1491
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do any of you guys have watch winder boxes?

I'm wanting to get one to keep my autos accurate since I'm pretty much never wearing them right now in isolation.

Basically want the cheapest option that doesn't suck and winds at least 4 watches (only have 2 now but future proofing).
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:11 PM   #1492
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I've got a-...
Quote:
Basically want the cheapest option that doesn't suck and winds at least 4 watches (only have 2 now but future proofing).
... oh. Well there goes my suggestion. I have a WOLF Roadster 2.7 winder (double winder with storage) that I snagged off of Overstock.com a few years ago to replace an eBay winder I had bought.

If you want something that'll handle at least four watches, check eBay and look for something on there. I had one that handled eight automatics at once and it worked great (even auto-reversed) but the fit and finish wasn't really that good. They're all made in China. As long as the electronics work, though, that's really what matters. I ended up giving it to my dad after I reduced my collection size and bought the Roadster 2.7 winder.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 04-13-2020 at 01:14 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:01 PM   #1493
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm wanting to get one to keep my autos accurate since I'm pretty much never wearing them right now in isolation.

I don't use watch winders. It usually only takes me a few minutes at max to bring the watch up to par if I have not been wearing the watch. I usually just pick up the watch, swing it gently via wrist movements for around 10-15 seconds before adjusting date/time etc. and wearing it.

The cheapest winders I ever ran into were at least $100 for winding two watches and I didn't feel like it was necessary for my personal collection. I also didn't really see the point to keep certain autos wound and running regularly if I wasn't wearing them, as it seemed like it was just wearing down the watch over time when I wasn't wearing it?
Old 04-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #1494
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So after spending a lot of time online this weekend I've decided on the Seiko 5 SNK809 as my first nice watch. I'm not sold on the metal band because I read it's cheap and arm hair gets stuck in it. I was thinking about ordering the watch with the black dial and canvas strap and then replacing the strap with either a brown or black leather one. But the canvas strapped one is currently out of stock on Amazon. It's a few dollars less for the canvas strap version but buying a new strap will make it a few dollars more than the one with the metal band. Or maybe I should get the metal band and maybe I'll end up liking it.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #1495
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a seiko 5 that is now losing time ie running slow. Is it worth it or even possible to get it fixed? Or would it cost more than the watch is worth?
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #1496
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
So after spending a lot of time online this weekend I've decided on the Seiko 5 SNK809 as my first nice watch. I'm not sold on the metal band because I read it's cheap and arm hair gets stuck in it. I was thinking about ordering the watch with the black dial and canvas strap and then replacing the strap with either a brown or black leather one. But the canvas strapped one is currently out of stock on Amazon. It's a few dollars less for the canvas strap version but buying a new strap will make it a few dollars more than the one with the metal band. Or maybe I should get the metal band and maybe I'll end up liking it.
Order it with the bracelet and get the strap after the fact. The bracelets are always more expensive to get later if you decide you want one, and you can barely go onto a watch site without tripping over offers for custom straps.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2020, 03:39 PM   #1497
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m probably in the minority, but I like hunting out good looking but inexpensive watches. I’m talking something from $20 and up. I also have a few in that $100 range that I very much like. You’re typically not getting anything other than a standard quartz or an automatic, but you can get some fun designs and some really good looking options. I’ve had lots of comments on some crazy cheap watches.

I love the higher end watches and would love a real Breitling, Sinn, B&R, etc but I like having an overflowing watch box that I can switch out every day...though that twice a year time change on 30 some watches is an extent. I think years ago I posted up a shot of everything I had at the time and someone asked how I liked my Bell & Ross. Well, I think that particular one has some made up name on it and it cost me $10 or less. I liked the air instrument panel look of it and got it.

Again, I would love to have the ability to buy a few 4 figure watches and post them up on watchuseek every day. I just can’t spend my money that way. I think I get just as much fun out of chasing down the cheap ones. Also makes it less of a concern when you happen to bang/scratch it! I do admire those of you who have invested though.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2020, 03:49 PM   #1498
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Citizen Nighthawk
The knighthawk was my daily driver for about 5 years. Love the watch, but just as a heads up - the black finish didn't hold up very well. I still wear it from time to time, but silver bleeding through black isn't quite as nice as an old patina.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:07 AM   #1499
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
Oof, yeah, that's a reason not to get a metal strap. Hopefully your experience with metal straps isn't like that, absolutely sucky when it happens (happened to me before a long time ago). Hopefully the bracelet works OK for you and it remains an option for you to wear from time to time. I have a matching Daniel Wellington fashion watches that I swap back and forth from leather to fabric straps that I occasionally wear with my wife.

That SNK 809 is a pretty sweet watch to have as one of your first watches. There seems to be plenty Seiko 5 enthusiasts who have one of those and there seems to be plenty guides, resources and images of different strap combos you can rely on for making your decisions on after market straps. It'll be a fun one to learn on.

As Torquedog said, going with the metal strap first and then replacing with aftermarket canvas or leather straps is easier. Fabric and leather straps are generally way cheaper than trying to get your hands on an OEM bracelet as mentioned.

https://www.strapcode.com/collection...sports-5s-srpb

Some of these are going for $30-40 USD for the OEM Seiko bracelet. That's basically most of the value of the watch and usually quite a bit more then replacement rubber, leather and canvas straps. I think you can basically go with anything that is a compatible size.

https://basicbands.com/the-complete-...nk-watch-line/

You're looking for 18mm lug width strap per this guide and I believe you can get some decent aftermarket rubber, leather or canvas straps for around $15-40 on Amazon. Cheaper by up to 75% even if you are willing to go on something like Aliexpress and wait up to 1-3 months for it to arrive.

I also highly recommend getting a basic watch adjustment kit for around $10-30 on Amazon. It's far more elegant and a little less likely to scuff things up than trying to punch those pins through using a paper clip/finger nail/safety pin or something along those lines. Youtube will have tons of good guides on how to do this. Or borrow a kit if you know someone with one. After you've swapped some of these pieces around a half a dozen times or so, it's relatively straight forward and you can even offer to help others do their watch straps rather than pay $10-15 bucks to some jewelers to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I have a seiko 5 that is now losing time ie running slow. Is it worth it or even possible to get it fixed? Or would it cost more than the watch is worth?
Possible to fix, sure. But "worth it" is subjective.

I'm guessing your Seiko 5 would be $100-150 to have someone overhaul at best guess? This is possibly worth it if the watch has deep sentimental value to you, but the results might not be as expected. If not sentimental, then it's not really worth spending 50%-100+% of the value of a new Seiko 5 to repair the old one since you can get a brand new automatic (Seiko/Orient/Citizen etc.) for around $100-200 on Amazon.

I had a watch that was from the 60s/70s with no OEM parts. I think it lasted about 8-10 months and I gave up because it ended up worse than before. Seiko 5 should have tons of OEM parts though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
I’m probably in the minority, but I like hunting out good looking but inexpensive watches. I’m talking something from $20 and up. I also have a few in that $100 range that I very much like. You’re typically not getting anything other than a standard quartz or an automatic, but you can get some fun designs and some really good looking options. I’ve had lots of comments on some crazy cheap watches.

I love the higher end watches and would love a real Breitling, Sinn, B&R, etc but I like having an overflowing watch box that I can switch out every day...though that twice a year time change on 30 some watches is an extent. I think years ago I posted up a shot of everything I had at the time and someone asked how I liked my Bell & Ross. Well, I think that particular one has some made up name on it and it cost me $10 or less. I liked the air instrument panel look of it and got it.

Again, I would love to have the ability to buy a few 4 figure watches and post them up on watchuseek every day. I just can’t spend my money that way. I think I get just as much fun out of chasing down the cheap ones. Also makes it less of a concern when you happen to bang/scratch it! I do admire those of you who have invested though.
The nice thing I like about those that truly appreciate watches is that they can appreciate the differences between an inexpensive vs a luxury watch. A Seiko SKX-007 vs a Rolex Submariner is a huge gap in price, but I know a guy who owns both and enjoys both. Let's be honest, if you want accuracy, it's Quartz or solar all the way. An automatic timepiece is pure male jewelry/borderline art and these things can only dream to be as accurate on a day to day basis as a modern $10 quartz watch over several years.

It's usually pretty easy to figure out who is a big snob about their watches and avoid those people (Usually convos begin and end with the brand and how much it is worth/was paid for it). The worst I ever encountered was some guy telling me about how I couldn't afford the $30K Patek Phillipe on his wrist, after I commented he had a nice watch and asked if it had a story behind it.

What you do sounds cool though. I couldn't do it. Most watches I've ever acquired for less than $100 generally gets wrecked to the point it's unusable in less than a year. I used to go through 2-3 watches a year until I started getting the better quality ones. I don't know if it's a combination of subconscious care and/or the weight makes it harder for me to swing my arm into stuff, but it all legitimately breaks. Me wearing my watch on my dominant hand doesn't help, but beyond reasonable tiny scuffs and scratches I have yet to destroy any of my Seiko/Orient/Citizen or Bulova watches I have acquired. I don't mind fashion watches, but they don't often have the same level of craftmanship that you can kinda look at and admire. A true piece also generally feels like it is retired due to its end of life, not because the fashion winds blew it away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
The knighthawk was my daily driver for about 5 years. Love the watch, but just as a heads up - the black finish didn't hold up very well. I still wear it from time to time, but silver bleeding through black isn't quite as nice as an old patina.
Is it the pure black Night Hawk? Sorry to hear. The fact that thing is essentially pure black is why it's so slick in the first place. Would replacing the strap (ie: Ceramic strap or another black SS strap) bring back its former glory?

https://www.amazon.ca/RECHERE-Cerami...29&sr=8-3&th=1

Something like this which is essentially scratch proof, but not shatter proof?

Or is the black finish on the case rubbing off as well?

Last edited by DoubleF; 04-14-2020 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:47 PM   #1500
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Is it the pure black Night Hawk? Sorry to hear. The fact that thing is essentially pure black is why it's so slick in the first place. Would replacing the strap (ie: Ceramic strap or another black SS strap) bring back its former glory?
Yeah it's the pure black one.

A new strap would solve it. Hasn't been a priority but that would work for sure. Maybe I'll look into that. Thanks for the link.

I assumed the metal was black all the way through, not just a finish, for whatever reason.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote