Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #1321
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do watches appreciate in value? Is there a watch I can buy in a store and expect a return on in the future? Or can you find great deals on the secondary market that could be worth much more at retail? Just totally curious. I like collecting stuff but I always have an eye out for value as well as beauty.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #1322
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
I've got the Panerai, two Omegas, and a Zenith. Probably giving the purists the heebie jeebies as well.
Omega is pretty respectable. So is Zenith. My collection consists of Hublot, Breitling, Uboat, Tissot, and Longine. Yeah, not winning any favors with that group lol.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #1323
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've got the Panerai, two Omegas, and a Zenith. Probably giving the purists the heebie jeebies as well.
I have an Omega and a quartz TAG Link. I'm slightly above Citizen on the purist scale...

Even before kids I had a hard time buying >$1000 watches for the fun of it, prefering to only buy a single nice watch and making it last for 10 years.

I ended up starting a tradition: My TAG was worn for my 30's, and my Omega will be for my 40's. When I'm confident enough my oldest son won't sell it for beer money (or worse) i'll pass one of them to him. My daughter gets the other on the same basis.

Then...I get something new

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 10-25-2017 at 03:59 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #1324
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
Omega is pretty respectable. So is Zenith. My collection consists of Hublot, Breitling, Uboat, Tissot, and Longine. Yeah, not winning any favors with that group lol.
My Zenith is from the Nataf era, which was known for it's polarizing designs. I like it though. And I think I'd be just fine with your collection as well!
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #1325
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I discovered today Amazon has a certified pre-owned watch section...

https://www.amazon.ca/b/ref=s9_acss_...d_i=2235620011
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #1326
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Seems to be a common issue with Panerais.

My collection right now consists of all brands hated by purist.
What are purists?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:14 PM   #1327
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have only ever bought 2 watches in my life so far - a simple black and gold Movado in 1996, and the Omega Seamaster from a couple pages back in March. I really like understated. Longsuffering's watches all look good to me.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:20 PM   #1328
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is great! Actual watch discussion on CP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Wow. That brings up a question - how many watches can a man realistically have and still properly enjoy them? Or is it enough just to know you have it, even if very rarely worn? Women at least have 10 fingers for all their rocks; we, sadly, can only wear one at a time.
Some folks I know (I belong to an online watch enthusiast site as well) would wear 2 or more watches in a day. One for work, then a casual watch for the evening.

Myself, I generally wear a watch for 2 or 3 days then change things up. It's not that difficult to manage a collection of 10 or 12. After that, some pieces get neglected and would probably become candidates for sale.

Quote:
What do you mean? There are several people on here who have shown their $20k watches - there is like 4 of them in that pic. I don't have one and don't know if I can justify that to myself. That's all I said - my point was that women seem to have less of that guilt/sense of wasted impracticality. I made no comments about what baubles/purses my wife specifically has.
Actually, in that pic, just one of the watches cost more than $10K. The other 3 were purchased pre-owned from other watch enthusiasts and were all <$10K CAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm still in that category. I was able to get a new job recently and rewarded myself by getting a new watch. I'll post new pics as I wear them to the office. It's hard to justify anything even over $300 though and I'm bargain hunting hard.

I got the Orient Mako II yesterday from Amazon for $220. It's been as low as $204 according to camelcamelcamel.

I've been watching way too much Urban Gentry on Youtube and I had to get a cheap $9 leather NATO on it as well. Sorry the iphone sucks at macro photography.
Seiko, Citizen and Orient all make great watches, especially divers, at that $200 and less price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Do watches appreciate in value? Is there a watch I can buy in a store and expect a return on in the future? Or can you find great deals on the secondary market that could be worth much more at retail? Just totally curious. I like collecting stuff but I always have an eye out for value as well as beauty.
Some do. Not many. 'Complicated' vintage Patek Philippe's are probably your best bet. Rolex's generally hold their value and every now then a modern piece becomes desirable amongst Rolex collectors (who are a very special breed).

Quote:
Nothing wrong with your group. Not a big fan of Uboat (probably because I'm an older guy) but I've owned all your other brands at one time or another.

Quote:
My Zenith is from the Nataf era, which was known for it's polarizing designs. I like it though. And I think I'd be just fine with your collection as well!
Polarizing is a nice way to put it. I have to confess I was also attracted to some of those Natif era Zeniths. I currently have a vintage Zenith 'Deluca' El Primero chrono in my group.

Quote:
I have only ever bought 2 watches in my life so far - a simple black and gold Movado in 1996, and the Omega Seamaster from a couple pages back in March. I really like understated. Longsuffering's watches all look good to me.
Thanks for getting the discussion started!
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 08:47 PM   #1329
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I pulled the trigger and bought a garmin fenix. It feels like a bunch of different watches due to the fact you can download different watch faces and I bought a selection of straps.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:08 PM   #1330
awildermode
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Omega is pretty respectable.
Snoopy is pretty respectable, too.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:47 PM   #1331
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Watches you wear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by awildermode View Post
Snoopy is pretty respectable, too.

Edit: Omega + Snoopy is the worst. Ill take that monstrosity off your hands.

Seriously that is awesome. You are lucky to have one.

Last edited by Bean; 10-25-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:34 AM   #1332
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I saw a friend with a Steinhart Ocean Military Vintage and it really drew my attention because it was an homage watch to vintage Rolex military watches with aged Tritium paint or aged lume. Right now you can't get this watch in this look because the current model 2.5 has a light grey dial which I dislike. The prices for the version 1.0 are like $900 CAD on ebay now when it was a $500 watch.

I'm really into that look with the aged lume as of last week lol. I think a grail watch right now would be a 1983 submariner with some tritium patina but they are still like $13,000 CAD. Are there any drawbacks to buying a really old Rolex? Not that I can afford it but I can dream.

http://www.chrono24.ca/rolex/submari...-id5795943.htm

Any other alternatives that are cheaper or modern watches with this look?

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-26-2017 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:53 AM   #1333
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm really into that look with the aged lume as of last week lol. I think a grail watch right now would be a 1983 submariner with some tritium patina but they are still like $13,000 CAD. Are there any drawbacks to buying a really old Rolex? Not that I can afford it but I can dream.

http://www.chrono24.ca/rolex/submari...-id5795943.htm

Any other alternatives that are cheaper or modern watches with this look?
You don't have to pay $13000 for a vintage Submariner. You could get a nice 5513 for much, much less - it may not be the desirable maxi dial, or gilt dial though.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, vintage Rolex collectors are a special breed. They care about the finish of the dial, the size or the dots on the dial, the font used on the dial, the writing on the dial, etc. etc. Really obsessive stuff in my opinion.

You can get a 'less desirable' version like this one, for $5 - $6K. Still a lot of money, know but still a very classic Sub.

Cheaper options include Tudor's Black Bay line. Tudor is part of Rolex and uses Rolex cases for their watches. TC chose the Black Bay Blue he posted earlier, but there are other dial and bezel options. You can pick one up, preowned from a reputable seller for around $3K, or a bit more for the newer models with the inhouse movement.

Less expensive, but still great looking and reliable, are the Steinharts such as you posted. They also offer a number of dial and bezel combinations, such as vintage inspired dials. They are available directly from Steinhart for less than the prices you quoted from ebay. You wouldn't have to pay EU VAT if bought from from Steinhart and shipped to Canada. If you have to pay Duty at all, it would likely be less than 10%.

Good luck with your hunt!
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #1334
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I saw a friend with a Steinhart Ocean Military Vintage and it really drew my attention because it was an homage watch to vintage Rolex military watches with aged Tritium paint or aged lume. Right now you can't get this watch in this look because the current model 2.5 has a light grey dial which I dislike. The prices for the version 1.0 are like $900 CAD on ebay now when it was a $500 watch.

that's a beautiful watch...

I'm a big Rolex Sub fan too, but I just can't justify the price point when I'm putting my daughter through university.

Loving my Tudor so far. If anyone is even considering one, it's worth a hard look.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #1335
SinceDay1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I purchased a Steinhart a few years back. It was VAT exempt and shipping was 30 Euro I think. Pretty sure I did not have to pay any duty. It did take a week or two to arrive (memory a bit fuzzy).
SinceDay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #1336
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I guess I'll contribute too. My whole life, the nicest watch I'd ever owned was a basic Timex where the fanciest thing about it was the little button which made it glow. When I got married a couple of years ago, my wife gave me this bad boy as a wedding present. It's got little diamonds on all the numbers. I thought that was a pretty nice touch.

DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2017, 11:20 PM   #1337
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
I guess I'll contribute too. My whole life, the nicest watch I'd ever owned was a basic Timex where the fanciest thing about it was the little button which made it glow. When I got married a couple of years ago, my wife gave me this bad boy as a wedding present. It's got little diamonds on all the numbers. I thought that was a pretty nice touch.

I love the tapestry dial!

Good choice with the w......wife.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #1338
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Paul Newman’s Rolex — with a telling message from his wife — fetches record $17.8 million
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob-loblaw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #1339
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never liked the look of Rolex, even when I was a kid who didn't know much about watches but knew that Rolex was expensive. For some reason, I always think of a pawn shop, when I see a Rolex watch...
Old 10-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #1340
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I discovered today Amazon has a certified pre-owned watch section...
Got an email about that a few weeks ago.

Would love to get a Speedy but still a little leery of the authenticity going that route.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote