Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2024, 03:40 PM   #2161
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I assume they killed the owners kid, so that's a positive I guess. Why do these people like monsters living in their house? Dahmer was probably pretty cuddly at times as well.
Could very well be. CTV quotes the Police as saying the 'two dogs belong to a person who lives in the home the boy was visiting'.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 04:36 PM   #2162
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
We need more responsible dog owners as well as banning dogs like Pitbulls.

Like adopting a foster kid, the home needs to inspected before someone is granted a dog. My neighbour owns a husky, has the smallest backyard with tiny fences, the dog is hardly every taken for walks. They just send him outside and he barks like crazy, starts coming at you. Oh he's just being friendly. Takes about 20 yells to finally get him inside.

These type of dogs do no belong in tiny enclosed homes.
I don't see what's stopping the city or province from requiring a license to purchase any type of pet. You need to be able up pass a test and an inspection of living area where said pet would live.

In relation to dogs, require owners to have a satisfactory backyard for the size of dog. Have owners provide certifications from accredited dog training facilities and have those required upon renewal of the yearly dog license.

Each new dog requires a new assessment, this might help in stopping people from purchasing too many animals/purchasing above their means.

Bully breeds are required to pass temperament tests yearly. Only bully breeds that pass annual temperament tests are able to be bred.

If the city enforces rules of this type, you will weed out bad owners and people who look to get animals that may not be 100% set on it and save many animals from going into shelters and rescue foundations.

Of course working dogs would require an extra level of paperwork and certifications.

Last edited by Since1984; 04-02-2024 at 04:39 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 05:29 PM   #2163
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't imagine owning one Cane Corso in a generic suburb house, let alone two. Why do these ####ing people always need multiple dogs they can't control?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 05:58 PM   #2164
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I don't see what's stopping the city or province from requiring a license to purchase any type of pet. You need to be able up pass a test and an inspection of living area where said pet would live.

In relation to dogs, require owners to have a satisfactory backyard for the size of dog. Have owners provide certifications from accredited dog training facilities and have those required upon renewal of the yearly dog license.

Each new dog requires a new assessment, this might help in stopping people from purchasing too many animals/purchasing above their means.

Bully breeds are required to pass temperament tests yearly. Only bully breeds that pass annual temperament tests are able to be bred.

If the city enforces rules of this type, you will weed out bad owners and people who look to get animals that may not be 100% set on it and save many animals from going into shelters and rescue foundations.

Of course working dogs would require an extra level of paperwork and certifications.
Doing things that make sense will have our highways blockaded.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 06:38 PM   #2165
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

an easy start would be to ban owning more than one dog, one dog sees its family as its pack, 2 dogs see themselves as the pack and anyone else as potential prey food
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 06:42 PM   #2166
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

An easy fix would just be to destroy all the dogs.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 07:59 PM   #2167
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Do these stories ever move the needle on people reconsidering owning these beasts? What kind of moron do you have to be to have an animal (or two+) that can kill a person in your home? These people are so fkn dumb and it's so maddening this always happens.

That poor little guy. Eleven years old. Wow.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 09:13 PM   #2168
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Additional information that wasn't in the original article, sad to think an 11 kid just visiting a house and getting ripped apart instead.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10397529/...-attack-child/

An 11-year-old boy was killed in a dog attack at a home in south Edmonton where the city said other attacks have occured this year.

An area resident who Global News has agreed not to identify due to safety concerns said they’d complained to City of Edmonton bylaw several times about dogs at the home in question.

The neighbour said they’ve been voicing concerns about the property to the city for over a decade, during which time the residence was home to different dogs.

The City of Edmonton said EPS is leading the investigation into the attack, but was able to confirm animal control had been called to the residence previously.

There have been two other dog attacks inside the house this year alone, the city said.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:16 PM   #2169
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

What did they go in for the other times, have some coffee and just don’t do it again.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:31 PM   #2170
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Time to lay some murder charges on the owner.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:49 PM   #2171
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The people who dealt with the previous cases should face some repercussions too. This feels like gross negligence. I mean what is even the point of having them if they just let this stuff continue to happen? Two other attacks in a year and nothing is done?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 09:51 PM   #2172
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Do these stories ever move the needle on people reconsidering owning these beasts? What kind of moron do you have to be to have an animal (or two+) that can kill a person in your home? These people are so fkn dumb and it's so maddening this always happens.

The answer is no, the stories wouldn't cause the majority of meat heads that would own two of these dogs to reconsider. In fact, I'd bet the stories would encourage the type that owns these dogs to want them even more.

Now, there might be 5% of these dog owners that are actually responsible and not simply complete scumbag lowlifes but guaranteed the owners of the dogs in this story will not be in that 5%.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 11:39 PM   #2173
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I assume they killed the owners kid, so that's a positive I guess. Why do these people like monsters living in their house? Dahmer was probably pretty cuddly at times as well.

You seem unwell. In what sense is a dead 11 year old a positive if it were the owners’ kid?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 12:46 AM   #2174
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mindblowing that people aren't properly vetted before inheriting these dog of dangerous breeds. It should be law.

The yard, the home, the owners' attitude and lifestyle (not absent for stretches of the day/week) should be criteria that is met with an enthusiastic check mark before they can even get a sniff at ownership.

You're inheriting a lethal weapon that you may not be able to exercise full control over. The level of preparation has to be high. Negligence in that situation frankly feels crime-worthy if something goes sideways.

And I feel like many owners of these dogs have a warped perception of their own pet and may not understand nor appreciate the underlying biological tendencies that are hard-wired to arise in specific triggering situations.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 03:16 AM   #2175
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I assume they killed the owners kid, so that's a positive I guess.
A positive? That's gotta be one of the most mind boggling statements ever!
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 04:10 AM   #2176
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

*edit I misinterpreted your statement.

Certainly this home had issues previously so it's mind boggling that this was even able to happen. I agree that more regulations should be required, but it does get messy.

I own English Bulldogs, which fall under bully breeds but aren't an aggressive breed. I have no issue with more requirements for bigger more dangerous breeds, but how do you decide the breed?

English bulldogs are generally lazy and not violent. Sled dogs caused the most deaths between 1990 and 2007 in Canada. I'm not sure what makes a dog a sled dog, or a dangerous breed. Pitbulls aren't a breed either.

Some of the solutions above about not being able to own more than one dog, are silly if they are referring to any breed, just nonsense, and if that's your solution you don't belong in the discussion.

I had 3 english bulldogs and 4 cats at the same time and never had an issue with animals, or people. I have had my dogs attacked twice however. One was a German Shepherd, and one was a Husky. I keep my dogs on leash at all times the attacks were from free roaming dogs. When my first bulldog became elderly and more grumpy with other dogs I no longer took her to places where strange dogs would be present off leash.

Again if I'm misinterpreting what's being said and it's only in reference to breeds like the Cane Corso then that changes the discussion.

Last edited by AFireInside; 04-03-2024 at 04:26 AM.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:56 AM   #2177
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given the complications, I think the only solution is to ban all dogs.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:59 AM   #2178
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Has anyone looked at the requirements to get approval for a backyard chicken?

Amazing the rigour required to have fresh eggs vs. the ability to acquire a murder machine.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 10:10 AM   #2179
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1775221668685734111
Old 04-03-2024, 10:15 AM   #2180
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why can’t we significantly beef up the criminal code for dog attacks. Shouldn’t off leash attacks be exactly the same as assault with a deadly weapon or man slaughter (or whatever the correct terminology is)? Send more of these owners to prison.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog attack puppy barking