Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2024, 01:38 PM   #2761
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Detroit has the kid (Cossa?) drafted from the Oil Kings. Possible they want a vet but they also have Lyon who did pretty well for them.

Philadelphia just paid big money to the Russian kid (Fedotov?).

Devils, we've been down that road.

(Sorry, names escaping me right now lol)
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 01:38 PM   #2762
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Can't remember is this guy legit?
I believe he's had a few insights that have come somewhat in line with reality...he seems to have a connection with Vladar as well?
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 01:40 PM   #2763
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Not really. Couple of darts connected.

Who BTW in that range is need of Markstrom?
New Jersey.

Basically make a deal with NJ for whatever 1st round pick they have so long as it's not lower then 13... NJ then trade 10OA for 11OA+ and then trades 11OA for 13OA+ and then trades 13OA to the Flames for Markstrom & Van 1st. Or something like that... basically allow NJ to up their return for the 10OA at no cost to the Flames.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 01:42 PM   #2764
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Seriously? NJD is going to do all of that? Tom Fitzgerald is going to orchestrate this?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 01:53 PM   #2765
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
New Jersey.

Basically make a deal with NJ for whatever 1st round pick they have so long as it's not lower then 13... NJ then trade 10OA for 11OA+ and then trades 11OA for 13OA+ and then trades 13OA to the Flames for Markstrom & Van 1st. Or something like that... basically allow NJ to up their return for the 10OA at no cost to the Flames.
But it means they trade their 10O which they likely won't do.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 01:54 PM   #2766
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Seriously? NJD is going to do all of that? Tom Fitzgerald is going to orchestrate this?
It worked on the Xbox.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 01:58 PM   #2767
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which teams are projected to be the worst next year?
Seems Philly is quite bad once Hart is gone and the Tort effect fades.
San Jose, Chicago and Anaheim have a long way to go.

Montreal and Columbus should be a bit better. Ottawa, Buffalo already underperforming. Utah should be better.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:02 PM   #2768
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Which teams are projected to be the worst next year?
Seems Philly is quite bad once Hart is gone and the Tort effect fades.
San Jose, Chicago and Anaheim have a long way to go.

Montreal and Columbus should be a bit better. Ottawa, Buffalo already underperforming. Utah should be better.
Oilers after pissy demands a trade this summer.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:05 PM   #2769
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I seem to remember CMP Dave also being the same dude who randomly called the Frolik trade eons ago. Anyone remember that?

I think it might be that Calgary wants to do that, but I question their ability to find a dance partner willing to do it.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 02:08 PM   #2770
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Detroit and New Jersey are the only teams in the top 15 that I could see shopping for a goalie.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 02:11 PM   #2771
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do like the idea of leveraging Markstrom to move up from the Canucks pick to 10th overall

It'd be fun to pick twice in a row that early in the draft.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2024, 02:20 PM   #2772
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Jersey moves 10 for 14 and 33.

Then move 14 for 27 and Markstrom.

10 for 27, 33 and Markstrom

That starts to feel pretty fair TBH.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:20 PM   #2773
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can anyone speak to why Hutson is generally not included in the same conversation as other defensemen in this draft (Buium, Parekh, Yakemchuk, etc.)? Similar thing happened with his brother and it now looks like his brother should have gone much higher in the draft than he did. He looked really good in the U-18 tournament last week.

Why I ask: I would hate to trade the Canucks pick to get a higher pick in the draft and pick Buium or Yakemchuk only for Hutson to turn out better and get picked at 30th overall with the Canucks’ pick. I would be excited to make the trade of course. I’m just wondering what people think of a defenceman like Hutson who is ranked lower in the draft.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:21 PM   #2774
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can't imagine Markstrom can be traded during the draft. Every team will wait until their turn to see if there is a prospect left from their list and decide to trade down and trade for Markstrom. Then Flames needs to contact Markstrom and ask him to waive his no move clause to go to the team which can't be done in short of time.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:24 PM   #2775
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Can anyone speak to why Hutson is generally not included in the same conversation as other defensemen in this draft (Buium, Parekh, Yakemchuk, etc.)? Similar thing happened with his brother and it now looks like his brother should have gone much higher in the draft than he did. He looked really good in the U-18 tournament last week.

Why I ask: I would hate to trade the Canucks pick to get a higher pick in the draft and pick Buium or Yakemchuk only for Hutson to turn out better and get picked at 30th overall with the Canucks’ pick. I would be excited to make the trade of course. I’m just wondering what people think of a defenceman like Hutson who is ranked lower in the draft.
Size and commitment to actual defending instead of puck control and offense.

Is Hutson more of an Adam Fox or is he more of a ghostisbere?
Old 05-08-2024, 02:25 PM   #2776
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post

Yup same concerns as Lane. And while Lane has done amazing to this point, he unproven at the NHL level.
I would be over the moon if they somehow got him with the Canucks pick.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:27 PM   #2777
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I do like the idea of leveraging Markstrom to move up from the Canucks pick to 10th overall

It'd be fun to pick twice in a row that early in the draft.
If Conroy could pull something like that off it'd be huge.

Snagging an addition top-10 pick is effectively a fast-forward by an entire calendar year for a rebuilding team. It does happen surprisingly often as well:

2023: No movement
2022: Ottawa traded the 7th overall pick in the Debrincat deal at that draft
2021: Vancouver traded the 9th overall pick in the OEL deal at that draft
2020: SJ did lose the 3rd overall to OTT but that was in a trade that happened in 2018. TOR lost 13th overall in a trade that happened in 2019.
2019: OTT lost 4th overall due to a trade in 2017, and PHI did trade 11th OA to ARZ for 14th + 45th at the draft. Interesting that 3 spots in that draft cost a mid-2nd round pick.

So of the last 5 drafts, three years feature trades at/around the draft that saw top-10'ish picks move.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:28 PM   #2778
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He's just said they are going to try to make that deal which makes all kinds of sense.

Seems unlikely the Devils will accept to me straight up for an older goalie like that though totally subjective - best case scenario is the nucks pick at 26 which is a massive jump - maybe a bigger deal somehow gets done.

Swapping Mangiapane for Palat and taking on that bad contract probably has more trade value than Markstrom and if the flames think they can turn Palat around and flip him for an asset in 24 months might make sense. If they were to move Mangiapane and Markstrom for one of the bad goalies they have and Palat maybe that's enough to get the 1st?
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:28 PM   #2779
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
If Conroy could pull something like that off it'd be huge.

Snagging an addition top-10 pick is effectively a fast-forward by an entire calendar year for a rebuilding team. It does happen surprisingly often as well:

2023: No movement
2022: Ottawa traded the 7th overall pick in the Debrincat deal at that draft
2021: Vancouver traded the 9th overall pick in the OEL deal at that draft
2020: SJ did lose the 3rd overall to OTT but that was in a trade that happened in 2018. TOR lost 13th overall in a trade that happened in 2019.
2019: OTT lost 4th overall due to a trade in 2017, and PHI did trade 11th OA to ARZ for 14th + 45th

So of the last 5 drafts, three years feature trades at/around the draft that saw top-10'ish picks move.
Edit: Nevermind I was wrong with what I said. I am trying to remember the conditions that saw Ottawa keep their 2021 pick and draft tyler boucher.

Last edited by Monahammer; 05-08-2024 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:28 PM   #2780
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
I can't imagine Markstrom can be traded during the draft. Every team will wait until their turn to see if there is a prospect left from their list and decide to trade down and trade for Markstrom. Then Flames needs to contact Markstrom and ask him to waive his no move clause to go to the team which can't be done in short of time.
Would be tough but I think it could work if they have all the trade details worked out before the draft. Sounds like Markstrom is already willing to waive for New Jersey so Conroy would just confirm with Markstrom before the draft that he is still good to go there. Then, have the price and details for the trade worked out. New Jersey holds out on the trade until they are on the clock - just in case a prospect that they highly covet falls to 10th overall. If that player is available, they don’t make the trade (and likely revisit negotiations using a protected 2025 1st round pick). If he is not, they make the trade.

Last edited by stemit14; 05-08-2024 at 02:31 PM.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good