Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
Skootenbeeten
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Advice for renewing mortgage.

Hello, I am just looking for some advice on how I should go about renewing my mortgage. I am with TD right now and have a few months before the date comes up. They called me and offered a 5 yr variable at 2.45% and a 1yr term at 2.99%. I have been very interested in selling so the penalties associated kinda scare me but I really don't like the idea of a 1yr term. I didn't want to distract from the other threads so I made my own. Thanks.
Skootenbeeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skootenbeeten View Post
Hello, I am just looking for some advice on how I should go about renewing my mortgage. I am with TD right now and have a few months before the date comes up. They called me and offered a 5 yr variable at 2.45% and a 1yr term at 2.99%. I have been very interested in selling so the penalties associated kinda scare me but I really don't like the idea of a 1yr term. I didn't want to distract from the other threads so I made my own. Thanks.
Thanks for your post Skootenbeeten.

I am assuming that TD is offering an early renewal? If so, I would probably hold off as you have nothing to lose and possibly more to gain by waiting.

We will PM you with more info regarding your options and to understand further your plans/ goals if selling is in the cards. ~Tim
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or email forums@timlacroix.com

Click here to View current Mortgage Rates

Mortgage Made Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #3
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

May I ask what you ended up doing? My mortgage with TD is up in May and I'm really not sure what I want to do. I anticipate moving in about 3 years. Right now I'm just going to keep my eye out for the right property. With interest rates being so low and me being towards the end of having my mortgage I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't too worried about breaking early.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
May I ask what you ended up doing? My mortgage with TD is up in May and I'm really not sure what I want to do. I anticipate moving in about 3 years. Right now I'm just going to keep my eye out for the right property. With interest rates being so low and me being towards the end of having my mortgage I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't too worried about breaking early.
Hi pseudoreality... PM'd
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or email forums@timlacroix.com

Old 12-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

One thing to watch out for when renewing (and switching lenders) are extra fees. I just switched lenders for a lower rate and noticed a $350 "assignment fee" added in the fine print that neither the bank or mortgage broker could explain. Make sure you read the fine print as neither the lender, broker or lawyer will tell you about the extra fees added in
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Advice for renewing mortgage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
One thing to watch out for when renewing (and switching lenders) are extra fees. I just switched lenders for a lower rate and noticed a $350 "assignment fee" added in the fine print that neither the bank or mortgage broker could explain. Make sure you read the fine print as neither the lender, broker or lawyer will tell you about the extra fees added in

This a a great point. This is easy to explain... unfortunately while the switch is to a new lender is at no cost! The existing lender is adding a... What I call a Thank you Fee!

Lenders will charge anywhere from $75 to $350 for discharging your mortgage from them. This can be called an admin fee, reinvestment fee, etc. In Alberta they cannot charge Discharge fees so they name it something else.
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

Last edited by Mortgage Made Easy; 12-22-2015 at 11:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mortgage Made Easy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgage Made Easy View Post
This a a great point. This is easy to explain... unfortunately while the switch is to a new lender is at no cost! The existing lender is adding a... What I call a Thank you Fee!

Lenders will charge anywhere from $75 to $350 for discharging your mortgage from them. This can be called an admin fee, reinvestment fee, etc. In Alberta they cannot charge Discharge fees so they name it something else.
Sounds like a class action just waiting to happen.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote