Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2017, 01:36 AM   #201
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
One of the aspects that SNET is really bad about that I feel doesn't get mentioned enough is their god awful picture/slideshow selections.

This is the squished monstrosity they broadcasted during tonight's game:

How is it possible for a collection of people that are responsible for broadcasting pictures to botch the aspect ratio like that?! It's incompetence to an insane degree.
Lol Flamesnation was very proud of this picture

https://twitter.com/flamesnation/sta...78310017703937
Old 03-26-2017, 02:15 AM   #202
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Those Blues vintage jerseys actually looked sharp. They should put 'em back into regular rotation.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 02:23 AM   #203
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Great battle and big win by the boys. Nice to have Tkachuk back in the lineup. Still amazed by that move in the third. What a player. Elliott was fantastic again. Loved seeing Mony get the winner. Now back home where hopefully we can clinch a spot officially and hopefully continue to move up the standings.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:43 AM   #204
megatron
First Line Centre

Exp:

That game was a playoff style game.

Flames played well and Elliott was fantastic. Like I've said before, when the team is getting contributions from everywhere (1st line, PP, dmen), they're going to be hard to stop.

Hopefully Mony can get to 30 goals!

Old 03-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #205
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
The best quote from ATL goes to an Oiler fan who posted this beauty:

"Flames secret weapon is dumb luck."

Apparently they don't realize their whole team is built on the dumb luck they had getting McDavid.
I liked the "team horse shoes" comment even better. Zero self-awareness lol
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 09:10 AM   #206
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved Tkachuk, boy we sure missed him. Amazing tenacity on that botched Brouwer shot. Should have gotten an assist there for sure.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #207
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would have been awesome if Tkachuk scores on that because it would be the goal of the year, which would finally give him the league-wide recognition he deserves (for talent), and he would have done it at home in front of friends and family.

When is the last time the Flames won twice in St Louis and took the season series from them?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:53 AM   #208
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Would have been awesome if Tkachuk scores on that because it would be the goal of the year, which would finally give him the league-wide recognition he deserves (for talent), and he would have done it at home in front of friends and family.

When is the last time the Flames won twice in St Louis and took the season series from them?
I thought they did it once in the Hartley era.

Edit: Looks like 2011 was they year they last owned the blues in a season series

Last edited by dammage79; 03-26-2017 at 09:57 AM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #209
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveSeven View Post
Wooooo. Gets me even more pumped up seeing how crazy Gio gets haha.
Yeah that has to be some inside thing with the guys the last couple months. Even on first period goals if he's on the ice, he's yelling something in the celebration huddle and all the other guys start seem to yelling the same thing.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #210
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

16/17 - 2-1-0 (2-0 in STL)
15/16 - 1-2-0 (0-1 in STL)
14/15 - 0-3-0 (0-2 in STL)
13/14 - 1-2-0 (0-1 in STL)
12/13 - 1-2-0 (0-1 in STL)
11/12 - 1-3-0 (0-2 in STL)
10/11 - 4-0-0 (2-0 in STL)

So yeah, hadn't even won a game in STL in 6 seasons.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #211
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Loved Tkachuk, boy we sure missed him. Amazing tenacity on that botched Brouwer shot. Should have gotten an assist there for sure.
He's a great player. People like to talk about a players skill, speed, edge work, agility etc. But man, when you get a guy that just gets it, it's awesome. He does so many things right out there it is amazing. And to have that competitiveness on top of it? Don't think I have ever been so enamour we with a 19 year old kid...
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #212
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
No, no you wouldn't......unless you'd like the Flames to automatically lose each game. He's not not (can you do that?) out there due to a lack of skill, he never sees the ice in 3 on 3 because he's literally way too slow, he'd be exposed so badly it wouldn't be funny.

And I really like Tkachuk, but unless his skating drastically improves, he should never see the ice on anything but 5 on 5 or a Flames PP.
There was an instance a week or so ago where Tkachuk was on a nearly clear breakaway but still got caught by the opposing defenseman despite having time and room to build up speed. His awareness and effort makes up for and more in regards to the offensive zone especially down low, along the boards and in front or goal. Anywhere else though just exposes his skating as a weakness.

Don't know how much to expect out of him since building that top speed isn't something you see most players do. Have a strong couple strides may be the most realistic improvement in that regard, improving his dominance in the offensive zone.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #213
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

This might be the Blues last loss of the season. They have a game left against Nashville and lots of guaranteed wins left. They'll be a funny team because they will have won 16 of their final 18 games but only beaten up on every weakling the NHL could throw at them.

Them and Nashville both have cup cake schedules left. They both might bump the Wild out of a Division playoff spot.

At least the Flames will go into the playoffs pretty battle tested.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 03-26-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #214
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
This might be the Blues last loss of the season. They have a game left against Nashville and lots of guaranteed wins left. They'll be a funny team because they will have won 16 of their final 18 games but only beaten up on every weakling the NHL could throw at them.

At least the Flames will go into the playoffs pretty battle tested.
I think what a lot of fans may be missing in this playoff race is how critical it is to not finish in the second wildcard spot. That is a Blackhawks first match up.

Obviously anything is possible but I think if you're objectively looking at first round match ups, we match up nicely against anyone and would have a good chance of winning in any spot but last. Chicago would likely be short playoffs for us.

I'm interested in the Pacific race, but unlike most, I'm watching that Flames/Preds/Blues race as the real critical goal, a playoff series itself. However comes in third is in real tough to create a playoff run.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #215
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I think what a lot of fans may be missing in this playoff race is how critical it is to not finish in the second wildcard spot. That is a Blackhawks first match up.

Obviously anything is possible but I think if you're objectively looking at first round match ups, we match up nicely against anyone and would have a good chance of winning in any spot but last. Chicago would likely be short playoffs for us.

I'm interested in the Pacific race, but unlike most, I'm watching that Flames/Preds/Blues race as the real critical goal, a playoff series itself. However comes in third is in real tough to create a playoff run.
I think we're all watching it.

However, I am not particularly scared of the Hawks - I think we match up pretty well. IMO, the best matchup would be either the Sharks or Oilers. But if it's the Hawks, I say: bring it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 10:51 AM   #216
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a shoutout to our good buddy, Jay Bouwmeester...

In his first year with the Flames, he only managed 3 goals. However, he made up for that by popping 2 last night!

Which is more than the ONE that he has for the Blues this year.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #217
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

However, I am not particularly scared of the Hawks - I think we match up pretty well. IMO, the best matchup would be either the Sharks or Oilers. But if it's the Hawks, I say: bring it!
Then you're nuts.

That is a team that is built for the playoffs.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #218
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be the best you have to beat the best. If we play the Blackhawks then so be it. Chances are if the Flames want to make it to the finals they'd have to beat them at some point anyways.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #219
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Hawks are still a great team.

But the gap has closed. Substantially.

Also, the Flames play a very similar style to the Hawks - it would be an awesome series.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #220
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

That's a pretty rosy view. I'll be as "bring it on" as the next Flames fan if that's who we draw. But the Hawks are the best or second best bet to win the Cup, they are the epitome of a playoff roster, and will likely bounce an 8th seed pretty handily.

As a fan, of course I'll have high hopes and feel confident heading in, that's what being a fan is all about. But from an objective stand point, that race is so critical, and will have a huge impact on a team's ability to advance in this year's playoffs.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote