Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #21
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't count of Bryan Bickell for the trophy either. Multiple Sclerosis diagnosis early in the year, and he's still playing hockey.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #22
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Granlund also plays top 6 minutes in Vancouver so not sure he would've had the same opportunity here. Who would be have replaced?
If I'm being "intellectually honest" (lol Feaster), I'd say that until Ferland found a spot alongside Gaudreau and Monahan, that spot would have been totally up for grabs. With Granlund's shot and defensive acumen, he would have been a decent fit on that line, albeit on his off-wing.

He's playing well in Vancouver, better than I thought he would. It's not like he couldn't be performing at that same level here.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 12:08 PM   #23
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
If I'm being "intellectually honest" (lol Feaster), I'd say that until Ferland found a spot alongside Gaudreau and Monahan, that spot would have been totally up for grabs. With Granlund's shot and defensive acumen, he would have been a decent fit on that line, albeit on his off-wing.

He's playing well in Vancouver, better than I thought he would. It's not like he couldn't be performing at that same level here.
I disagree. I think Ferland brings a physical presence to that line that Granlund couldn't. Granlund is certainly capable of being a middle six player on an NHL team - however that team is not the Flames IMO.

It will be interesting to see if both Baertschi and Granlund can continue their level of production (40ish point players) into next year and beyond.

EDIT - Not to derail the thread so I should add that I think Paul Byron is well deserving of this and very happy for him. One of the few guys who we've let go in the last couple of years that I would like to have back but we move on...

Last edited by GettinIggyWithIt; 03-24-2017 at 12:12 PM.
GettinIggyWithIt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GettinIggyWithIt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 12:12 PM   #24
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinIggyWithIt View Post
I disagree. I think Ferland brings a physical presence to that line that Granlund couldn't. Granlund is certainly capable of being a middle six player on an NHL team - however that team is not the Flames IMO.

It will be interesting to see if both Baertschi and Granlund can continue their level of production (40ish point players) into next year and beyond.
Granted. That's obvious. However, the question was "who's spot would he have taken", and Ferland only recently found a home there. I was just pointing out that we had a wide open opportunity in our top 6 for someone to step up, and Granlund could have been that guy if he was still here.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #25
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Granted. That's obvious. However, the question was "who's spot would he have taken", and Ferland only recently found a home there. I was just pointing out that we had a wide open opportunity in our top 6 for someone to step up, and Granlund could have been that guy if he was still here.
And I guess my response is - I don't think he could have taken that spot. I think he would have been part of a revolving door because the fit just wasn't there - at least not on a team looking to make the playoffs. Granlund might have slotted in on the line but I don't think the line and the Flames would have found the same success.
GettinIggyWithIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #26
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think if he was still here he would have had a stint on the top line for sure and may have been good for a time but he's soft around the boards and his overall game is pretty average except his shot so once that line stopped producing he would have got dropped to another line and bounced around. Even Ferland's success right now is of a small sample size. I'm not convinced he's a long term solution on that line but you have to ride that line until it hits the wall and hopefully that doesn't happen for a while because the roster doesn't have a lot of other options.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 02:02 AM   #27
BruceCody
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

BruceCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:20 AM   #28
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even if Granlund and Byron were still Flames, I'm not sure they would be expansion protected. Are they both going to be protected by their teams?
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:54 AM   #29
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying4acup View Post
Even if Granlund and Byron were still Flames, I'm not sure they would be expansion protected. Are they both going to be protected by their teams?
I can definitely see Granlund being protected by Vancouver. Byron, I am not so sure if Canadiens see him in their top 7 to protect.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #30
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Reminded of all he bitterness when it was Paul Byron that was in the Regehr deal instead of Luke Adam.

Last edited by mikeecho; 03-26-2017 at 11:37 AM.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #31
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know we as Flames fans, especially on this board, tend to pine after players that have left but...man....I miss Paul Byron.

I just feel that with the way this team is right now he would just click.

We've got that 'Us Against Everyone' mentality going right now and I think Byron would fit that really well and even maybe kick it up a notch.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #32
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I know we as Flames fans, especially on this board, tend to pine after players that have left but...man....I miss Paul Byron.

I just feel that with the way this team is right now he would just click.

We've got that 'Us Against Everyone' mentality going right now and I think Byron would fit that really well and even maybe kick it up a notch.
Agreed. What makes me really sad about him being stolen from us is that at the time he went on waivers and got claimed we had the following players still on the roster:

Brandon Bollig
Josh Jooris
David Jones
Markus Granlund

Ugh.

A rare miss by our current management team.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #33
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, the loss of Byron is just one more reason to despise that neanderthal plug Zach Kassian.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #34
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Also, the loss of Byron is just one more reason to despise that neanderthal plug Zach Kassian.
Exactly. Always disliked caveman Kassian, his actions on this front made me hate him. Then he became an Oiler and the hate has doubled.

What a tool.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:03 PM   #35
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to see players succeed elseware, but I never understood the love for Paul Byron. He did have great work ethic, but he simply couldn't execute and was really frustrating to watch. Was half decent on the PK.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #36
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Nice to see players succeed elseware, but I never understood the love for Paul Byron. He did have great work ethic, but he simply couldn't execute and was really frustrating to watch. Was half decent on the PK.
We loved him because we found him fun to watch. Sure it was a bit frustrating when he had trouble converting the chances hed create with blazing speed and incredible work ethic but we were confident that eventually hed start converting those chances. Well sure enough hes got 20 goals this year on a winning team for a small fraction of cap space. I wish he was still a Flame.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #37
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
We loved him because we found him fun to watch. Sure it was a bit frustrating when he had trouble converting the chances hed create with blazing speed and incredible work ethic but we were confident that eventually hed start converting those chances. Well sure enough hes got 20 goals this year on a winning team for a small fraction of cap space. I wish he was still a Flame.
Fair enough, I didn't hate the guy. If players would have progressed as expected, they wouldn't have had room for him though. In hindsight, I would take him over Bouma in a heartbeat.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:40 PM   #38
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

^^^^^^

As much as those that lament the loss of Paul Byron may have had a bit of revisionist history going, it seems that those that were quick to dismiss him and comment that he wasn't anything here are guilty of the same to a degree.

I think he was unfairly dismissed by a lot of fans (especially casual fans) who only remembered him as that guy that never scored on breakaways. The key being that the average player doesn't even create enough breakaways in a season to make fans frustrated over missing them.

They were bonuses on top of what he already was, which was a super speedy, tenacious forward who was dynamite on the PK and getting better every year. He was trending up and provided a critical element to our bottom six and was let go in favor of guys that should have been in the minors.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 08:57 PM   #39
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am betting that Bennett playing with Byron would be much more exciting and productive than Bennett playing with Brouwer.

Seriously, I think he would have looked great on Bennett's wing, and was really good defensively to help cover for Bennett's growing pains learning to play center.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #40
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Well, thing is, he did execute.

People have caricaturized him as this guy who did nothing but flub breakaways.

He was one of, and maybe even our best penalty killers. Between him and Backlund, at least. "half-decent" is a gross understatement. Even now, where we have two amazing PKers in Frolik and Bennett, I think he would be our second-best or even best PKer.

He played up and down the lineup. If we needed a grinder on the first line, he could keep up with skill players without looking bad, but if we needed someone to keep it simple, he could do that too.

When the Flames came up against a trap team, he was pretty much the only player on the roster who could beat a trap. I don't even know if we have anyone right now who can beat a trap as well as he could. If our PP entries lately are any indication, no.

He was a notable part of Monahan's successful sophomore season before Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler was put together. I'd argue there were many games where he was the better player on that Monahan/Byron line shift-for-shift.

He never short-changed you on intensity/visibility. More than can be said about certain players who have played on our top 9 this season and I'm not going to name names but they make 4.5 million dollars a year.

He was part of some pretty awesome moments as a Flame and I contend we don't make the playoffs that last year he was here without the games he gave us in the first half, before he hit a string of injuries that put him out of the lineup before playoff time.

Do you win with a team of 12 Paul Byrons? Maybe not. But every team could use one of him.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 03-26-2017 at 09:23 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote