Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-23-2017, 01:43 PM   #21
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
They are without a doubt one of the best pairings in hockey. Credit to Gio for getting his act together after his early season lull along with Hamilton. Having Brodie and Stone at 3 and 4 is a big plus as well.

This team looks set on defence for years to come if we hopefully re-sign Stone. Only thing we are missing I believe is an upgrade over Bartkowski. He's been ok but would be nice to get someone more reliable and that'll likely have to come from within the system.
There are a lot of good bottom-pairing options available this summer. I'd like Treliving to re-sign Stone, and then sign three more guys to be the 5/6/7s.

Of the available UFAs, these are some pretty attractive potential options:

Michael Del Zotto (5) RHD
Trevor Daley (5) LHD
Paul Postma (5/6) RHD
John-Michael Liles (6) LHD
Chad Ruhwedel (6/7) RHD
Steve Kampfer (7) RHD

More are here: https://capfriendly.com/browse/free-...efense/ufa/asc

I think Giordano-Hamilton are made even better by the awesome depth behind them. Brodie-Stone would be a decent top pair on half of the league's teams. Engelland is a decent #4 at best. Mike Kostka went from being a #6 on a playoff team in Ottawa to a #10/11 here. It's crazy how much depth this team has on D, and the UFA class this summer with go further to strengthen that.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #22
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
There are a lot of good bottom-pairing options available this summer. I'd like Treliving to re-sign Stone, and then sign three more guys to be the 5/6/7s.

Trevor Daley (5) LHD
Paul Postma (5/6) RHD
Chad Ruhwedel (6/7) RHD
Steve Kampfer (7) RHD

I think Giordano-Hamilton are made even better by the awesome depth behind them. Brodie-Stone would be a decent top pair on half of the league's teams. Engelland is a decent #4 at best. Mike Kostka went from being a #6 on a playoff team in Ottawa to a #10/11 here. It's crazy how much depth this team has on D, and the UFA class this summer with go further to strengthen that.
I think Del Zotto would be a great addition. Can skate, move the puck and plays with an edge. Also about the right age to add to our group. He's a LHD though (post says RHD).
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #23
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ hopefully no.
We really need someone on a really cheap (ELC or similar) contract to step in and be effective.
Add 4 per for Stone and there is already a ton of $ tied up on defense. Going forward, they can't be tied longer term to any UFA defenseman, imo.
Veteran depth forwards as UFA are cheap. Veteran defenseman, not so much.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #24
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

#freekulak
Old 03-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #25
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i'm surprised there was no love for the oil... don't they have 4 or 5 giordanos up there??
Old 03-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #26
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Yost: Giordano/Hamilton Best Defense Pair in Hockey

Quote:

Trevor Daley (5) LHD
Paul Postma (5/6) RHD
Chad Ruhwedel (6/7) RHD
Steve Kampfer (7) RHD

Kostka was not the number 6 in Ottawa? He hasn't even played in the NHL this year. In fact, they have used 10 d men this year and he hasn't been one of them. And to be honest, none of those defenders you listed would be an upgrade on what we currently have in my opinion.

Our depth isn't terrible right now, but I don't think it's the best in the league or anything. I'm still not overly comfortable with Kulak, Wotherspoon, or Wideman in the line up.

Last edited by bax; 03-23-2017 at 01:58 PM.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #27
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i'm surprised there was no love for the oil... don't they have 4 or 5 giordanos up there??
They traded a Giordano (Davidson) for a Backlund (Desharnais).
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 01:59 PM   #28
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Proves the people picking the players to play in World Cup Under-23 team were idiots for leaving off Hamilton.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:59 PM   #29
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Kostka was not the number 6 in Ottawa? He hasn't even played in the NHL this year. And to be honest, none of those defenders you listed would be an upgrade on what we currently have in my opinion.

Our depth isn't terrible right now, but I don't think it's the best in the league or anything. I'm still not overly comfortable with Kulak, Wotherspoon, or Wideman in the line up.
I mixed up my years, Kostka was their #6/7 last season.

But it's foolish to say that none of Del Zotto, Daley, etc. would be upgrades over Wideman and Kulak.

My point about depth is that the Flames have a ton of NHL-experienced defenders who can fill in when injury occurs. Kulak, Wotherspoon, Wideman, Kostka... these are guys who can play in the NHL, and likely wouldn't be horrible fill-ins for a game or two.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #30
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hope Rasmuss Andersson makes the Flames next season.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #31
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Someone, Dimitri Filopovic I think, said earlier in the season that he thinks that if the Flames could play 3M + Gio/Dougie for 60 minutes a game they'd never lose.
I mean, yeah, if no one else gets the same deal I guess. If the Pens could play Kessel / Crosby / Malkin / Letang / Schultz for 60 minutes they'd probably average ten goals a game. Or how about 60 minutes of Panarin / Toews / Kane / Keith / Seabrook.

Friggin' nightmare fuel.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #32
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I mixed up my years, Kostka was their #6/7 last season.

But it's foolish to say that none of Del Zotto, Daley, etc. would be upgrades over Wideman and Kulak.

My point about depth is that the Flames have a ton of NHL-experienced defenders who can fill in when injury occurs. Kulak, Wotherspoon, Wideman, Kostka... these are guys who can play in the NHL, and likely wouldn't be horrible fill-ins for a game or two.

Del Zotto and Daley over Wideman and Kulak? Of course they are better, but they also aren't signing contracts to be 7 or 8's. Their comparables would be Bart and Engelland.

And fair enough about getting the years mixed up although Kostka wasn't their 6th dmen then either. Kostka played 15 games in the NHL that year which still puts him at 10th on the list of games played by dmen. Far cry from a number 6. He's always been a 10th or 11th option. No difference between Calgary or Ottawa.

Last edited by bax; 03-23-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #33
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Del Zotto and Daley over Wideman and Kulak? Of course they are better, but they also aren't signing contracts to be 7 or 8's. Their comparables would be Bart and Engelland.

And fair enough about getting the years mixed up. Kostka played 15 games in the NHL that year which still puts him at 10th on the list of games played by dmen. Far cry from a number 6. He's always been a 10th or 11th option. No difference between Calgary or Ottawa.
I'd take Del Zotto over Engelland every day of the week. Far younger, better scorer, way better possession player. He'd probably sign for about the same dollar value, maybe $500k-1m more.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #34
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'd take Del Zotto over Engelland every day of the week. Far younger, better scorer, way better possession player. He'd probably sign for about the same dollar value, maybe $500k-1m more.

Del Zotto is also soft as can be, weak on the puck, and a tire fire defensively. Him and Engelland are completely different players and fill different roles. The flames need a defensive bruiser like Engelland way more than they need another small scoring defenseman. Gio, Hamilton, and Brodie provide more than enough offense from the backend
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #35
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Del Zotto is also soft as can be, weak on the puck, and a tire fire defensively. Him and Engelland are completely different players and fill different roles. The flames need a defensive bruiser like Engelland way more than they need another small scoring defenseman. Gio, Hamilton, and Brodie provide more than enough offense from the backend
Del Zotto is actually very solid defensively, has good puck possession stats, and is third on the Flyers in hits.

...but whatever.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #36
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Del Zotto is actually very solid defensively, has good puck possession stats, and is third on the Flyers in hits.

...but whatever.

He gets pushed off the puck easily and has trouble clearing the front of the net. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he's basically the opposite of Engelland. Swapping them makes the Flames a worse team in my opinion- granted that's if Engelland doesn't hit a steep decline
Old 03-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #37
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next season wish:

Giordano Hamilton
Brodie Stone
UFA Andersson
Bartowski

Of course it assumes Andersson is ready. Ideally Bartowski is the #7 guy next season.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #38
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Engelland can play another season like he has this year, I don't mind him in as the #6 dman. The toughness is needed as I think we'll see in the playoffs.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 02:33 PM   #39
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
#freekulak
Kulak had every chance to make the team this year and couldn't stick. Still has time but the clock's ticking.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #40
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The reality is that it is Mark Spector that is the huge disappointment. He couldn't wait to write the Flames obituary so much that he wrote it before there were nails in the coffin. Maybe he was used to Oilers season being over in December but that's not the case for the rest of the league.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: