Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Also, Backs and Frolich play with pace, like Bennett. Bennett has been playing with guys who can't keep up or get open for a pass. The temptation then is to do it all yourself.
If they had one more good RW and one more good LW:

Gaudreau-Monahan-RW
LW-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Bennett-Ferland
4th line - mix and match

That third line is nasty, has high IQ and can put the puck in the net. Not horrible defensively but what a forecheck they'd have.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 04:21 PM   #22
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Bingo hit the nail on the head with his analysis. Bennett hasn't had the luxury of playing with players that actually compliment his skill-set. He then turns into his own worst enemy in trying to make too much of a difference by being overly-aggressive on the fore-check and back-check, and also hanging onto the puck too long and trying to force offence with toe-drags and trying to beat defenders on his own.

If you watched him play with Monahan for that very short stint this season, I think he was a different player. He made solid passes and didn't try to do it all himself, and became a much improved player. Same thing with his short time playing with Gaudreau. You also saw it again last night playing with Backlund and Frolik.

So what do you do?

Bennett is without a 'pair'. Brouwer SEEMED like finally Bennett had someone to play with, but then it just fizzled. Brouwer just doesn't play at that pace that Bennett does. This is why I was very happy that the Flames traded for Lazar. I may be one of the only posters on this site that does so, but I still also hold out hope for Poirier. I think if Poirier returns to what he looked like he was developing into, a Bennett - Poirier duo would have been lethal to play against.

Hopefully Lazar can find his game again, and I do think he has a good offensive ceiling - enough of one to be a legitimate top 6 complimentary winger. He plays an awful lot like Bennett (and Ferland).

The ace up the Flames' sleeve rests with Jankowski (and Klimchuk, to a lesser extent).

There is absolutely no way I want to see Jankowski play on the 4th line. Unless Gulutzan really wants to roll 4 lines with fairly equal time (nobody does this, even with coaches who are known for rolling 4 lines, that 4th line always plays considerably less minutes), you have to think long and hard about which center you want to convert to wing.

Monahan - he isn't being converted. People may be 'down' on him, but he is still young and has already performed better than any other center (or player, for that matter) from his draft and even the preceding draft (and among the leaders in the draft 2 years before his). You simply don't move him out from that position.

Backlund - I am also of the opinion that the Flames re-sign Backlund at all costs. There is no guarantee that Jankowski develops as well as Backlund has - and even if he did, you still keep both.

It really comes down to Bennett vs Jankowski. Solid arguments can be made for one playing wing, and the other playing center on the same line together. Their offensive IQ's are right up there with Monahan's and Gaudreau's (imo).

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Jankowski - Bennett - Lazar

That to me looks like a very, very difficult to play against lineup that has scoring and varying levels of defensive acumen.

Speaking of defensive acumen - I think Bennett (and Monahan) have taken HUGE strides. I am thankful that Hartley wasn't interested solely on how prospects performed offensively (bye bye Baertschi). He was strict in how they played defence, and he forced Monahan to play a sound defensive game (and when Monahan and Backlund were too focused on defence and their scoring dried up, Hartley was also quick to correct this and ensure they were developing in all 3 zones). Gulutzan is even more focused on the defensive side of things, and I would say that they both have taken a step forward in that sense as well. For anyone saying that Bennett is simply regressing this year, they are doing nothing more than simply stat watching.

Bennett seems solid in his own zone now. I think he comes back to where he needs to be and supports the defencemen well in all zones now. He doesn't look like a headless chicken out there any longer.

I remember when Bennett was injured in that first year, and Conroy took the time to sit beside him while watching the play develop. He would ask Bennett as situations arose as to what Bennett should do and where he should go, and Bennett would often be wrong. Now we see Bennett making the right choices more often than not - though he is still young and relatively inexperienced (and center is a tough position to play) and thus the odd mistake does happen.

The biggest issue with Bennett is not having a strong enough complimentary player to pair with. Once again, hopefully Lazar becomes that. Hopefully Poirier manages to get through whatever is happening and get back on track (I seriously think he would have been a near-perfect match with Bennett had his trajectory not tapered off so much). I am surprised that Tkachuk's foot-speed has not any kind of issue whatsoever on the speedy Backlund-Frolik combo, so maybe Tkachuk really is a guy that will pair nicely with Bennett?

Jankowski is really the ace in the hole here though. He will complete one of the top 3 lines either as a winger or a center. He has that vision to make those around him better, to be able to support the play in any way. Under Gulutzan's puck-possession system, he will really be a prospect that should experience some success early on. Just pair him with Bennett, and have Jankowski - Bennett - Lazar develop chemistry.

If they do manage to develop chemistry, the Flames can really start running teams over.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #23
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bennett plays way better on the wing. He's great on the forecheck & low down in the corners. For whatever reason he doesn't get to those areas as much when he's playing centre – perhaps because he has more responsibility for backchecking when playing C.

With Jankowski looking very promising in Stockton I wonder if the team would get the most out of the player by playing him more frequently on the wing.

If Ferland is out for a couple more games why not try Bennett on the 1st line again, with Gaudreau & Monahan? Gaudreau's style would suit being on the off wing, and Bennett's aggression, coupled with his vision and skill, make him an ideal asset to cultivate for that 1st line. He genuinely has 1st-line upside, but with Monahan and Backlund around he's not going to get that icetime playing C.

Next year you could see:

Bennett Monahan Gaudreau
Tkachuk Backlund Frolik
Ferland Jankowski Lazar
Bouma Stajan Brouwer/Chiasson/Hamilton (whoever is still around)
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #24
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My concern is that he is not playing with pace, the pace he had in his draft year.

He was taken under the wing of Stajan in his rookie year.........and I am concerned he is turning into that. The Stajan after his 5th year in the league.

Stajan is a great mentor to show how to be a pro and his insight on other centres in the league, but not the best for pushing the boundaries of your ceiling.
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #25
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Bennett is really good at creating turnovers and gaining the zone. I just wish he would use his linemates a lot more.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #26
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think it will take some time to assess how Bennett is as an NHLer. He certainly started hot (4 goals one game anyeone).

Maybe Janko can come in an play centre and get Bennett back to the wing.

I think about Backlund as a late bloomer and hope that is what happens with Bennett (or higher).
Old 03-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #27
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

BTW - look at the 2007 draft and how many of the picks above Backlund would you take ahead of him (Kane obv). 3 or 4 tops for me.

(sorry to derail).
Old 03-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #28
Eric
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
BTW - look at the 2007 draft and how many of the picks above Backlund would you take ahead of him (Kane obv). 3 or 4 tops for me.

(sorry to derail).
Kane, Voracek, Subban, McDonagh, Benn, Pacioretty, and Couture i dont think you can argue with. But yeah Backlund would make a case to go top 10.

Edit: Sorry thought you meant overall in the draft

Last edited by Eric; 03-22-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #29
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lets not forget about Mangiapane.. Hawkerchuk rated him quite highly and he should know. I think a line of Tkachuk, Bennett and Mangiapane would look pretty good out there next year
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #30
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I think Bennett is really good at creating turnovers and gaining the zone. I just wish he would use his linemates a lot more.
He needs better linemates. Chiasson is a better 5v5 player than both Brouwer and Versteeg, and it was on display when Bennett and Chiasson were on the same line prior to the Ferland/Tkachuk situations.

We need a better winger for Bennett to play with. How that comes about, who knows - but I imagine another good winger is on the shopping list this summer.

I'm guessing Treliving is going into this summer with three things on his mind:

1. Re-sign Stone
2. Sign/Trade for another good winger
3. Re-sign Elliott, or move on to Bishop/someone else.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #31
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Great analysis Bingo. I agree with everything you wrote, but watching Draisaitl at least, he brings more to the table from an offense generation perspective. He holds the puck better, is stronger with it, and in general is better suited to drive the puck forward when he has it. Sam just isn't with strong enough yet to compete in the same way. Not using that to forecast the future, more of a comment on offensive contribution
Get out.

GET OUT!
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:34 PM   #32
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
He needs better linemates. Chiasson is a better 5v5 player than both Brouwer and Versteeg, and it was on display when Bennett and Chiasson were on the same line prior to the Ferland/Tkachuk situations.

We need a better winger for Bennett to play with. How that comes about, who knows - but I imagine another good winger is on the shopping list this summer.

I'm guessing Treliving is going into this summer with three things on his mind:

1. Re-sign Stone
2. Sign/Trade for another good winger
3. Re-sign Elliott, or move on to Bishop/someone else.
Unless Vegas takes Brouwer I don't want any more money spent on wingers.

Stick Brouwer with Backlund and Frolik. Maybe they can get something out of him and make a line of Tkachuk/Bennett/Jankowski for next year
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:34 AM   #33
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
I wish he would get some PP time. ESPECIALLY over Brouwer.
I keep thinking the game is still going too fast for Bennett. I see him making questionable decisions with the puck and trying to do it himself too often. It would be really speculative to suggest this is why he isn't seeing more pp time, but maybe.
Didn't Bennett play a lot of wing with Backlund/Frolik last season?
Regarding Galchenyuk, this is his first season of playing full time centre, and he is struggling horribly on the dot.
I really hope the Flames keep Bennett at center.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:58 AM   #34
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Need to be patient with Bennett for sure.

Plus there is no need to be impatient with him IMO because:

1. The Flames are winning
2. Monahan and Backlund are our #1 and #2 centers

The guy has a lot of runway to take off as an NHL center, keep pushing him and work to get him better line mates and it will pay off in the long run.
I agree you need to practice patience but the fact of the matter is clear. The Flames window is opening now, if it's not already open. The franchise can't afford to spend another year waiting for the kid to develop into a serviceable center in the NHL. Even now there are glaring holes that Bennett could fill on the wing in the top 6 that would make the Flames a much better team.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:58 AM   #35
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I don't see Bennett converted to a winger in my mind, they would have already done that in the last calendar year. The Flames are trying to build the Penguins with Crosby, Malkin and Staal up the middle and they'll be patient in doing so.

The key as others have said is to upgrade the wingers to make that happen.

I could see Tkachuk and Bennett as a duo as early as next fall, then you can focus on who the three supplementary players are.

Ferland looks good, but then who? Might be an easier task than finding that 2nd player for Bennett.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #36
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I keep thinking the game is still going too fast for Bennett. I see him making questionable decisions with the puck and trying to do it himself too often. It would be really speculative to suggest this is why he isn't seeing more pp time, but maybe.
Didn't Bennett play a lot of wing with Backlund/Frolik last season?
Regarding Galchenyuk, this is his first season of playing full time centre, and he is struggling horribly on the dot.
I really hope the Flames keep Bennett at center.
I'm not sure I agree with this. If the game is going too fast for him, why is he getting a lot of PK time, he has been doing great there btw. If he can handle speed on the PK, he can certainly handle it on the PP. All it would do is boost his confidence by getting some points and more ice time.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #37
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
I wish he would get some PP time. ESPECIALLY over Brouwer.
I agree, I think potting a goal or two a week on the power play would do wonders for his confidence. Scorers need to score to feel good.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #38
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I don't see Bennett converted to a winger in my mind, they would have already done that in the last calendar year. The Flames are trying to build the Penguins with Crosby, Malkin and Staal up the middle and they'll be patient in doing so.
I think Mark Jankowski is the wildcard in that scenario. He appears to be a natural center and in your (Penguins) vision he'd be a perfect Jordan Staal if he continues to get better at every level as has been his pattern to this point.

If that is the case it makes a lot of sense to put Bennett on the wing and allow him to be the finisher on a line with any of the top 3 centremen.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:42 AM   #39
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
I think Mark Jankowski is the wildcard in that scenario. He appears to be a natural center and in your (Penguins) vision he'd be a perfect Jordan Staal if he continues to get better at every level as has been his pattern to this point.

If that is the case it makes a lot of sense to put Bennett on the wing and allow him to be the finisher on a line with any of the top 3 centremen.
Joe Nieuwendyk had Loob, previously a playmaking centre, on his wing. Why not try Janko in a similar role?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:47 AM   #40
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

My expectations was that Bennett could drive his own line and become an impact player.

The much maligned Bo Horvat would be someone that I was hoping Bennett could be. He's playing with two scrubs and making them into servicable NHL players.

Another example is Tkachuk. He started the preseason playing with Bennett and Brouwer, and immediately Bennett and Brouwer looked like amazing players. He has since graduated to play with other impact players, but even in this small sample size, it's pretty clear that Tkachuk IS the impact player in his first year in the league.

Heck Monahan and Gaudreau both started off their careers playing bad linemates, but they were the impact player even in those 3rd line roles.

I think that's why in my opinion, Bennett has been extremely disappointing. When a player needs impact players to contribute at a decent level, in my opinion it drops that player a tier or two.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post: