Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #41
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the problem with Gaudreau and Monahan is that Johnny is putting too much pressure on himself to score.

I think Gaudreau needs to think pass to Monahan more, which will give himself more space. Right now, teams are expecting him to go end to end and do everything himself. He needs to find Monahan more to force the opposition to pay more attention to Monahan.

Monahan should not be carrying the puck, he just needs to get into shooting position, cause that is his best asset. If he gets into the slot, he's deadly. He should let Gaudreau and Chiasson do all the puck carrying and work along the boards, and just get into the slot.

Gaudreau needs more Tanguay in his game and Monahan needs more Iginla in his game.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #42
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I think the problem with Gaudreau and Monahan is that Johnny is putting too much pressure on himself to score.

I think Gaudreau needs to think pass to Monahan more, which will give himself more space. Right now, teams are expecting him to go end to end and do everything himself. He needs to find Monahan more to force the opposition to pay more attention to Monahan.

Monahan should not be carrying the puck, he just needs to get into shooting position, cause that is his best asset. If he gets into the slot, he's deadly. He should let Gaudreau and Chiasson do all the puck carrying and work along the boards, and just get into the slot.

Gaudreau needs more Tanguay in his game and Monahan needs more Iginla in his game.
Unfortunately, Gaudreau is being swarmed when he crosses the blueline. None of his linemates are keeping up and are therefore unavailable for passes.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #43
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Flames are starting to show that they are 'getting it'. Once the top line starts to produce I think they could go on a tear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #44
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I thought this was a Tkachuk thread. Hahaha
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #45
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You got to think that Treliving in Stockton this weekend is all about which of these young guns do I bring up to solve the first line woes?

Unfortunately no one is the obvious choice since only Pribyl is a natural right shot for RW with that potential. Vey and Hathaway are certainly not first line material.

I wont be a bit surprised if Tkachuk is playing on first line by midseason. Learn the 2 way game with Frolik and Backlund for 30-40 games and then move up to the off wing (which he can play well) and first line problems solved...wishful thinking perhaps but something needs to happen.

Johnny dominated at World Cup with different linemates. The problem for Johnny is his linemates. Monahan must be hurt with that back strain acting up.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:33 AM   #46
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

http://flamesnation.ca/2016/11/26/ma...ggest-surprise

Nice article from Steinberg. This kid has blown me away. I can't believe up until the memorial cup last season I preferred Nylander. Having to deal with this kid is going to be a night mare.

If he could become a bit faster he could be an elite winger. That's literally the only thing I see missing from his game.

IQ - 5/5
Shot - 4/5
Defence - 4/5
Board Play - 5/5
Playmaking/Passing - 4/5
Intangibles - 5/5
Skating - 3/5

Just bump that skating up and we have one hell of a hockey player.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2016, 01:38 AM   #47
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post

IQ - 5/5
Shot - 4/5
Defence - 4/5
Board Play - 5/5
Playmaking/Passing - 4/5
Intangibles - 5/5
Skating - 3/5

He could loose a step and still be one hell of a hockey player
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:50 AM   #48
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
He could loose a step and still be one hell of a hockey player
I wouldn't want to see him get any slower, but I know what your saying and agree.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:26 AM   #49
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Nice article from Steinberg. This kid has blown me away. I can't believe up until the memorial cup last season I preferred Nylander. Having to deal with this kid is going to be a night mare.

If he could become a bit faster he could be an elite winger. That's literally the only thing I see missing from his game.

IQ - 5/5
Shot - 4/5
Defence - 4/5
Board Play - 5/5
Playmaking/Passing - 4/5
Intangibles - 5/5
Skating - 3/5

You forgot his 5/5 on the RGI.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #50
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of the more veteran players on this team could learn a few things from this kid's compete level and desire.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2016, 08:46 AM   #51
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep Tkachuk on the big club looks like the right call. Love how this kid plays the game he is going to be a stud in the league for a long time. These are the types of players you want going into the playoffs. Hopefully the flames can get in that mix
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #52
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

But how many pull ups can he do, seriously?
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #53
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

IQ - 5/5
Shot - 4/5
Defence - 4/5
Board Play - 5/5
Playmaking/Passing - 4/5
Intangibles - 5/5
Skating - 3/5

But EA Sports will still rate him a 79 next year, max.

Matthew Tkachuk is basically Keith Tkachuk 2.0. How can you not love that?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #54
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
But EA Sports will still rate him a 79 next year, max.

Matthew Tkachuk is basically Keith Tkachuk 2.0. How can you not love that?
I usually edit players stats that I find ridiculous.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #55
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didnt want the Canucks to draft him at all going in to the draft, and in terms of who ends up being the best pick after Matthew/Laine for those in the 2-8 range its years before we know

but Tkachuk has definitely changed my mind, I've been really impressed with him all season

he's going to be a top line winger in a few years, he reminds me of a smaller Todd Bertuzzi and I think in his prime he can get close to that level when he learns to dominate with size

Really good with the puck, great down low passer, takes no crap from anyone, bit of a mean streak, tons of goals within 8 feet of the net but also some highlight real types as well
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #56
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look at Tkachuk as a 'complete player' in the making.

I think we have all seen him do the following already:

- can actually lead the rush
- a 'sniper-like' finish
- defensively reliable
- great net-front presence and can jam the net, tip or collect rebounds and make plays in-tight
- playmaker
- a gritty player that is not shy to mix it up and fight
- a leader on the ice
- an impact player
- this is not a real term, but I would say he has an 'elite compete level'

This is all when he is just 18 years old. I really liked Tkachuk going into the draft, but I really didn't think I would like him this much, and I didn't think he would be this effective this early.

He has loads of development to do yet, but he is essentially an impact player already. The added benefit when it comes to him is that if he is not scoring, he is doing literally everything else to try and win a game. I think he definitely has the ability to lose a game for the Flames with his '####-disturber' way about him, but he can also turn a listless, emotionless team and give them life with his antics, in much the same way a pure fighter would occasionally do with a big tussle.

Conversely, I was really low on Juolevi at the draft. For a while, I thought he was the best defencemen available in the draft, and wouldn't be opposed to the Flames drafting him, but he completely fell out of favor because he strikes me as having a low compete level. It isn't just that he is a good skater and 'calm and composed', ala Lidstrom. It is because he lost a tonne of board battles against even smaller opponents. For me, that is a huge red flag as a defencemen (as a prospect, period, but even more important as a defencemen IMO). I didn't think Tkachuk was going to fall (didn't see the first 5 picks working out that way at all). I was hoping for Brown (and I still really love Brown), or Keller, or Sergachev or even Chychrun. With that being said, Juloevi DEFINITELY has all the tools to end up as a top-pairing guy (probably not a #1, but a #2 guy that is good at everything).

Tkachuk just seems like a total lottery win to me. You have 3 or 4 Tkachuks on your team, and you will win a cup. This kid will go a long ways in helping the Flames become a contender. Big time player that I think will just excel when it comes to playoff hockey. Not just because he had an amazing run winning the Memorial Cup, but because he seems custom-made for the playoffs, sort of like Claude Lemieux, but a few tiers more talented.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #57
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree. I didn't like him at all at the draft, I preferred Nylander and Keller and a few of the d-men. Preferring Nylander was a mistake by me, he'll be good but not a gamebreaker, and Tkachuk might become one if he can improve his footspeed.

Tkachuk has impressed in all areas, and I've been extremely impressed with his vision in the offensive zone. He can work along the boards, tire out the opposing d, then fire off a good pass for a scoring chance with regularity.

I think his ultimate ceiling will be limited by the quality of his centres though. He doesn't dominate his line, but he is very good at opening up space for other players and contributing positively. If Bennett can develop into the C that we expect him to, this pair will be absolutely nuts.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:50 AM   #58
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy that a teenaged Tkachuk leads the team in PIM's by 21 minutes over a 20 year old Sam Bennett. either the team is butter soft with vets or we drafted some psycho's.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:53 AM   #59
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Crazy that a teenaged Tkachuk leads the team in PIM's by 21 minutes over a 20 year old Sam Bennett. either the team is butter soft with vets or we drafted some psycho's.
yes
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2016, 07:56 AM   #60
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk has 49 PIM. All the other 2016 draftees have 37 combined (Matthews, Laine, Puljujärvi, Sergachyev, Chychrun).
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post: