Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2017, 08:14 PM   #141
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

How many aircraft are flying at 91 m altitude 9 km from an airport? The restricted airspace should be an inverted cone.

This legislation makes victimless crimes.

Last edited by SebC; 03-18-2017 at 08:17 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 11:55 PM   #142
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

ridiculous rules
Old 03-19-2017, 02:00 AM   #143
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So how does enforcement work, exactly? I suppose if there's a person standing there in a field holding a controller staring at the thing that's a bit obvious, but what, do people call 911 and a cop goes looking for "standing dude" nearby?

Related, how practical/expensive is it to go for tech that makes line-of-sight flying optional? e.g. Gear VR integration or similar? Not exactly quadcopters but I've long imagined flying RC WWII planes with POV cameras providing live video to a Gear VR-like device... seems like the various bits required for that have become commercially available at decent prices in the last couple years.

Last edited by RoadGame; 03-19-2017 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Wouldn't want to be mistaken for a buzz killington
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #144
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGame View Post
Related, how practical/expensive is it to go for tech that makes line-of-sight flying optional? e.g. Gear VR integration or similar? Not exactly quadcopters but I've long imagined flying RC WWII planes with POV cameras providing live video to a Gear VR-like device... seems like the various bits required for that have become commercially available at decent prices in the last couple years.
Very practical, not expensive at all. The exact same equipment I use to fly quadcopters POV can easily be applied to fixed wing. It's actually very common.

The best way to do it is to mount the camera on your plane on a headtracking gimbal meaning as you move your head left right/up down on the ground, the camera does the same thing.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #145
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I dont believe a total ban is needed. However, have requirements for owners including owner licensing, drone registration, and liability insurance.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 09:22 AM   #146
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hi guys ... I'm hosting a series of interviews with a dozen influencers in the industry.

You can check it out here if you're interested:

DroneWorldSummit
Old 06-02-2017, 12:08 PM   #147
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ghts-1.4143301

Calgary police are asking the public to help identify a middle-aged man who was seen operating a large drone over two different parts of the city this week, posing a danger to aircraft.

The man was spotted flying the unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) near the McCall Lake Golf Course in northeast Calgary around 2:10 p.m. on Wednesday.

He was seen again around 4:10 p.m. on Thursday, this time flying the drone over a green space located near the intersection of Crescent Road and 13th Avenue N.W.

On both occasions, police said the drone "posed a danger to manned aircraft," in particular the incident near the golf course, which is on a flight path of the Calgary International Airport.

"These matters also coincide with an increase in reported incidents where UAVs have come into close proximity of the Calgary International Airport or aircraft," police said in a release.

"An interaction between a UAV and manned aircraft can have catastrophic results."
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #148
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

TC has updated the interim order. It's now in effect for 1 year but they've updated the restrictions for airports and helipads:

5) No person shall operate a model aircraft
(a) within 3 nautical miles (5.5 km) of the centre of an
aerodrome, except a heliport or an aerodrome that is
used exclusively by helicopters;
(b) within 1 nautical mile (1.8 km) of a heliport or an
aerodrome that is used exclusively by helicopters; or
(c) inside an aerodrome control zone.

Also updated the rules on aircraft under 1kg.

No person shall operate a model aircraft having a total
weight of more 250 g (0.55 pounds) but not more than 1 kg
(2.2 pounds) at a lateral distance of less 100 feet (30 m)
from vehicles, vessels or the public, including spectators,
bystanders or any person not associated with the operation
of the aircraft.

They've also dropped the "animal" language. Not perfect, but not bad.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #149
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone around these parts try out the DJI Spark drone?
Old 08-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #150
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Anyone around these parts try out the DJI Spark drone?
I own one, what did you want to know?
Old 08-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #151
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I own one, what did you want to know?
Just curious as to your experiences with it so far, how it performs (compared to advertised features), and any comparisons to any other drones you might have used (if you have).
Old 08-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #152
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw Drone Racing League on ESPN a little while back. Pretty neat stuff.

https://thedroneracingleague.com/
Old 08-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #153
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this one of you guys? Police still looking for this guy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ilot-1.4226767

Calgary police are still asking the public to help identify a man who was seen illegally operating a large drone in May and June — posing a danger to aircraft — and then again on Canada Day.

Police said in a release the drone "was seen encroaching into the flight path for aircraft coming into and out of Calgary International Airport."

The man was described as being middle-aged, having black hair and wearing light-coloured clothing.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:57 AM   #154
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man that really chaps my behind. It's people like that that brought the ban hammer down on the rest of us.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 10:23 AM   #155
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Just curious as to your experiences with it so far, how it performs (compared to advertised features), and any comparisons to any other drones you might have used (if you have).
Ill do my best to fill you in.

For other drones I also owned a P3Pro and an inspire 1V2. The inspire was very very hard to transport and I sold it in February of this year. I still have the P3pro.

The spark is tiny, almost scary tiny in comparison to the other drones I have owned. Oddly enough it flies extremely well in wind, better than I thought it would. It flies better than any other drone I have owned when it comes to indoors or tight spaces. Even flying it with just a phone and not the controller is much easier than the bebop or AR drones I owned years ago. It is extremely responsive and stops almost on a dime. It is not a drone that is made for long distances, I have noticed that in congested area's it gets around 200m before video starts getting choppy.
*Before people jump all over me on the Drone laws in Canada I want to point out that ready to fly weight of the Spark is 279g (weighed by me) and after doing 3 things I found online I was able to get the weight down to 248g which makes the drone not applicable to the transport Canada regulations but also completely voided my warranty. I do not fly it around my neighbourhood but i do fly it at our cabin in BC and at a campsite which is privately owned.

I absolutely love the drone for filming my family out camping or at our cabin. I will fly it out over the water to film them jumping off the dock or my daughter on the tree swing etc etc. I absolutely hate the way it lands as I have cut my hand about 6 times since I bought it because landing in your hand is nowhere as easy as they make it seem in the videos. The spark is very sturdy and seems like it can take some hits but the propellers are fragile. Its slower than my other drones were which makes the 12 minute battery not the best for long excursions. The bottom line I feel about this drone is if you use it like me which is to film your family or similar then its great, if your buying it to get amazing arial pictures of structures or landscapes this is not the drone your looking for as the battery will not give you the time to get the footage you require. I have not used the gesture feature once so I cannot comment on that.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #156
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol,ya, hand landing is not something I'd want to attempt. Even 3 inch props can give you a nasty cut.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #157
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Lol,ya, hand landing is not something I'd want to attempt. Even 3 inch props can give you a nasty cut.
Oddly enough I received a PM suggesting that I use the gesture controls to land it versus me doing it manually and it landed flawlessly 4 times in a row so it would seem that it was user error when it came to the hand landing LOL.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #158
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched some footage of the gesture control with the Spark. That's pretty slick. Really cool feature if it works as advertised.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #159
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Calgary man first to be fined for flying drone in Banff National Park
LINK

(maybe the judge and warden were Flames fans)
Old 01-23-2018, 09:25 PM   #160
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

ahhh rules for rules sake, can someone explain why you cant fly your drone in the park?

I get rules against harassing animals with your drones but we don't ban people from eating in the park because a few dumbasses feed the animals.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:

Tags
don't drone me bro! , nerdgasm , remote control