Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2017, 11:36 AM   #81
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKPThunder View Post
Thanks Sureloss. So in terms of age. Is the player ineligible to be drafted if they are 21 in that calendar year? By the draft? By Sept?
The standard age cutoff is as of September 15.

Quote:
So in theory if the Flames saw a 20 year old who was undrafted and looks to have a breakout year, they could draft that player instead of waiting for the following year and trying to get him as a FA.
Technically yes, but the player could still wait for the Flames draft rights to expire and sign with any team they wanted. You would have to be pretty confident about your chances of signing him and also weigh the cost of the draft pick you use to select him.

Quote:
I take it European players can be drafted at any age from what you posted.

Thanks for the clarification.
Based on the above definition Euros cannot be drafted once they reach age 22.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:11 AM   #82
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

besides Healey, Friedman on 960 says he is hearing the Flames are in on d-man Sean Walker:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=160791

Friedman says he isn't sure how much of a prospect Walker is and is speculating he may only get an AHL only deal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #83
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

video is from 4 years ago, but worth the listen. Bowling Green assistant coach describes Sean Walker before he went to college:

summary: skating is a major strength of his game follwed by "hockey savviness" and calmness, and while he doesn't go out of his way to be physical he will put his body on someone during the course of a few shifts
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #84
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard for me to get pumped up for college free agent signings after we were super excited about Morrison.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #85
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Hard for me to get pumped up for college free agent signings after we were super excited about Morrison.
I don't recall that people were "super excited" about Morrison. There was optimism, but if anyone gets "super excited" over most college free agent then it is their own fault.

Most college free agents are long shots to have any impact in the NHL, just like most NHL draft picks.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 06:36 PM   #86
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah college free agents that sign with the Flames historically are not very good. At least recent history anyways.

Morrison
Lamb
Eddy
Van Brabant
Mackenzie
McKelvie (sp?)
Jooris

Those are the ones I can think of in the last few years. Whole lot of not much that's for sure. I wouldn't expect anyone the Flames end up signing this year to amount to much at all.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:58 PM   #87
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say Jooris and Hathaway were both successful plays. They made it to the show and played few games. Jooris still hanging in there and Hathway likely a fulltimer next year.

The way the Flames are setup it'll be hard for any undrafted type to gain a big role right now. Only bottom line spots are available, even then they'll be competing with drafted picks for those spots.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #88
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Interesting, according to the AHL transactions page the Heat have signed a CIS free agent to an ATO.

26 year old 5'10'' 181lbs C Cameron Braes
stats: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=33562
played with the Lethbridge Hurricanes from 2007 to 2012 and played some with the Moose Jaw Warriors
has been with the University of Brunswick for the last 5 years
Old 03-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #89
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
A select few posters started hyping up Morrison a lot when he joined the Heat. Whether you chose to buy in to the hype or not was your choice. I have never been that excited about Morrison and always considered him a long shot at best. Expectations should be tempered based on a lot of things. There was no reason to believe Morrison was a strong or standout prospect.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:58 PM   #90
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Union's season is over.

per Friedman on HNIC, Canadian teams are pursuing Foo, Vechionne, and DiSimone

Given Foo's connection to Flames' development camp, Flames might have a good chance at him, if he decides to go pro. As has been previously reported, his brother is going to Union next year and he really wants to go bacck to play with him.

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-25-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:08 PM   #91
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

IIRC, Morrison was a fairly well thought of FA that a number of teams were hoping to land. I also seem to recall that when he went to Adirondack, he played very well in those 10 games, registering 2 goals and 6 assists. There was reason to get your hopes up, as he did have some rave reviews.

I find nothing wrong with people getting 'too high' on him. He was highly thought of for the most part, had a cannon of a shot, and did really well to start. I would be disappointed if people didn't get high on him - there was plenty of reason to do so. Just sometimes prospects don't take a step forward, or they regress, or whatever - it happens. That is why you have to find multiple prospects any which way you can to have multiple bullets in the chamber - eventually some of those bullets are going to fire off and start hitting their targets.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #92
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
I'd say Jooris and Hathaway were both successful plays. They made it to the show and played few games. Jooris still hanging in there and Hathway likely a fulltimer next year.

The way the Flames are setup it'll be hard for any undrafted type to gain a big role right now. Only bottom line spots are available, even then they'll be competing with drafted picks for those spots.
Which lends credence to the one school of thought that you go big or go home in the draft. Don't bother with drafting bottom sixers/bottom pairing guys, draft skill and fill in the bottom six/pairing with college/overage chlers
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #93
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Which lends credence to the one school of thought that you go big or go home in the draft. Don't bother with drafting bottom sixers/bottom pairing guys, draft skill and fill in the bottom six/pairing with college/overage chlers
That is assuming you can consistently attract quality college and CHL free agents to fill those roles, which isn't always the case especially for Western Canadian teams.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:22 PM   #94
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
That is assuming you can consistently attract quality college and CHL free agents to fill those roles, which isn't always the case especially for Western Canadian teams.
Actually the western Canadian teams have fared well over the past few seasons.

Vancouver picked up stecher
Edmonton picked up Benning
Winnipeg picked up Tanev

And of course flames have had success too.

There does seem to be a bias towards American born players and USA teams however there are teams from western Canada succeeding in attracting college ufas (and ones that pan out)
Old 03-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #95
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
IIRC, Morrison was a fairly well thought of FA that a number of teams were hoping to land. I also seem to recall that when he went to Adirondack, he played very well in those 10 games, registering 2 goals and 6 assists. There was reason to get your hopes up, as he did have some rave reviews.

I find nothing wrong with people getting 'too high' on him. He was highly thought of for the most part, had a cannon of a shot, and did really well to start. I would be disappointed if people didn't get high on him - there was plenty of reason to do so. Just sometimes prospects don't take a step forward, or they regress, or whatever - it happens. That is why you have to find multiple prospects any which way you can to have multiple bullets in the chamber - eventually some of those bullets are going to fire off and start hitting their targets.
I was one of those that was really high on him because he looked similar to Brodie during that 10 game stretch. All over the place at both ends of the ice. Then when I saw him in person a couple months later, it did not even look like the same player at all. It happens. Development is not a linear process.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #96
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Actually the western Canadian teams have fared well over the past few seasons.

Vancouver picked up stecher
Edmonton picked up Benning
Winnipeg picked up Tanev

And of course flames have had success too.

There does seem to be a bias towards American born players and USA teams however there are teams from western Canada succeeding in attracting college ufas (and ones that pan out)
They succeed in attracting the Western Canadian kids and sometimes Eastern Canadian kids. Otherwise they play 2nd fiddle to the rest of the free agents, mainly as you noted the Americans like to stick close to home.

I think I read somewhere 21% of NCAA hockey players are foreign to the USA. So the Western Canadian teams are already at a disadvantage in the college free agent field unless the player they like is Canadian.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #97
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

On a somewhat related note to the above, any word on Salmon Arm native Shane Hanna? Was making lists last year but not being talked about this year. Has been to Jets and Oilers camps in the past
Old 03-26-2017, 09:39 PM   #98
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another American NCAA UFA staying stateside.

Michael Russo‏ @Russostrib

Gut says Vinni Lettieri has decided between Blackhawks and Rangers, but announcement likely to come tomorrow
Old 03-27-2017, 09:09 AM   #99
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Friedman on 960 said he can't pinpoint if Calgary is in on Spencer Foo but he has heard a lot of Canadian teams are interested. He also said it sounds like Foo will go back and finish school.

Kings also sent a large management contingent to watch Union's last game and it was rumored that they were there to watch Foo.

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-27-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:02 AM   #100
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

New York Islanders @NYIslanders
#Isles Transaction: John Stevens (Northeastern University) has agreed to terms on a two-year entry level contract: