Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 12:33 AM   #221
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

My desire to see Iginla back in Calgary is almost purely sentimental, and based on my hope that he would be satisfied with playing a background role, play within the system and would lead by example.

This is exactly what McDonald did in 1989, and was healthy scratched for a number of games. His pursuit of 500 goals and being the focal point of fans was never considered a distraction. And he scored the most memorable goal in Flames history.

Who wouldn't want to see history repeat itself?

If that's not the way it ends up going down, I'll get over it. And if that's not consistent with what Iginla wants or is prepared to do, so be it.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 12:34 AM   #222
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
It's Giordano's team now, there's no room for Iggy in the dressing room or on the ice. I wish him the best of luck as long as it's not the Oilers, but there's no chance in him doing that.
I doubt Iginla would come back pointing the finger and trying to be the alpha-dog in the dressing room
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 12:36 AM   #223
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett - Iginla
Stajan - Jankowski - Brouwer

I would love to bring Iginla back (solely sentimentally) but where would he even slot in? Jankowski and Lazar both deserve to play this year. We are tied to Brouwer and that bloated contract. And Stajan probably plays out his final year on a fourth line / veteran role. Not to mention Foo who could dazzle in camp and force himself onto the roster too. Where does Iggy fit in?
Old 07-03-2017, 12:47 AM   #224
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know Ferland is physical and can create space, but he averages 23 points per season. At 25 years old, he's yet to have a 30 point season. Gaudreau and Monahan have played well with him before, but you have to think there are better options.

I doubt they would have Jankowski make the team and push Stajan to the left wing slot. Because of this, I would not be surprised if Jankowski did not make the team out of camp (unless there's an injury). The Flames are probably not afraid to bench Stajan if need be either.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:52 AM   #225
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I know Ferland is physical and can create space, but he averages 23 points per season. At 25 years old, he's yet to have a 30 point season. Gaudreau and Monahan have played well with him before, but you have to think there are better options.

I doubt they would have Jankowski make the team and push Stajan to the left wing slot. Because of this, I would not be surprised if Jankowski did not make the team out of camp (unless there's an injury). The Flames are probably not afraid to bench Stajan if need be either.
He scored at a >40 point pace once united with Gaudreau with Monahan, not to mention he's a late bloomer who's a great skater, has a powerful and accurate wrist shot, has underrated hands and is one of the hardest hitters on the team. I think that there's another level to his game that we haven't seen yet (and will very soon). Also, we won't see a game where Gaudreau get's slashed 20+ times, while someone *cough* Brouwer *cough* turns his head the other way and skates gingerly to the bench.

Also why? They put Stajan on Bennett's left wing, and the organization is really high on Jankowski. He dominated the AHL and has nothing left to learn from that league. I'm thinking at this point, unless Janko comes into camp and stinks it up, he should very comfortably find himself in Edmonton on October 4th.

Last edited by Love; 07-03-2017 at 01:54 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 02:15 AM   #226
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What was his pace without Monahan and Gaudreau? He had 25 points on the season, even though he spent considerable time on the top line. You can't focus on one aspect of a sample size, while ignoring the rest. Ferland may have scored at a strong pace while playing with them, but who's to say that Frolik, Tkachuk, or even Jagr couldn't do the same? At least Frolik and Tkachuk don't have to be on the top line to produce. Yes, he's a late bloomer in the sense that he started playing hockey later in life. But I don't really see how he's a late bloomer in any other way. Overall, his progression has been slow and steady. Everything else you said is purely baseless speculation. He hasn't had 30 points at any level since the 11-12 season in the WHL (which was a breakout season, making him not a late bloomer).

Yes, he has another level to his game. We have seen it during the 14-15 playoffs. But consistency has been a huge issue in the years since. That level of play, as reckless as it is, is simply not sustainable. Do you think Tkachuk would let anyone slash Gaudreau more than Ferland would? The NHL is also apparently going to crack down on the slashing. Not to mention, Tkachuk had as many points in one season as Ferland has had in his entire career. Tkachuk quite simply makes a lot more sense. Tremendously more offensive upside, while still providing the grit.

As for Jankowski and Stajan, I can't really say why. It's just how the organization usually operates. I'm not saying I agree, it's just what I predict.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 07-03-2017 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:32 AM   #227
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What was his pace without Monahan and Gaudreau? He had 25 points on the season, even though he spent considerable time on the top line. You can't focus on one aspect of a sample size, while ignoring the rest. Ferland may have scored at a strong pace while playing with them, but who's to say that Frolik, Tkachuk, or even Jagr couldn't do the same? At least Frolik and Tkachuk don't have to be on the top line to produce. Yes, he's a late bloomer in the sense that he started playing hockey later in life. But I don't really see how he's a late bloomer in any other way. Overall, his progression has been slow and steady. Everything else you said is purely baseless speculation. He hasn't had 30 points at any level since the 11-12 season in the WHL (which was a breakout season, making him not a late bloomer).

Yes, he has another level to his game. We have seen it during the 14-15 playoffs. But consistency has been a huge issue in the years since. That level of play, as reckless as it is, is simply not sustainable. Do you think Tkachuk would let anyone slash Gaudreau more than Ferland would? The NHL is also apparently going to crack down on the slashing. Not to mention, Tkachuk had as many points in one season as Ferland has had in his entire career. Tkachuk quite simply makes a lot more sense. Tremendously more offensive upside, while still providing the grit.

As for Jankowski and Stajan, I can't really say why. It's just how the organization usually operates. I'm not saying I agree, it's just what I predict.
I would agree except you're asking a 19 year old to switch wings.(unless you want Gaudreau to)
Old 07-03-2017, 04:56 AM   #228
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What was his pace without Monahan and Gaudreau? He had 25 points on the season, even though he spent considerable time on the top line. You can't focus on one aspect of a sample size, while ignoring the rest.
Okay, but consider how few minutes he played and of those, how many were with forwards at the bottom of the depth chart.

Ferland played:
35.18 power play minutes (2G 1A) (5.12 P60)

so already, you're not making an apples-to-apples comparision by using raw point totals against guys playing typical 100+ PP minutes. He barely got any power play time, although his power play production rate was actually higher than the likes of Monahan, Gaudreau, Brouwer.

Even strength

818:58 5-on-5 minutes (13G 7A) (1.47 P60)

The total icetime is low. It's 4th liner ice time. THe production however, is actually 2nd-liner production as an average of his whole season, not just the couple games with the top line.

25:12 5-on-5 minutes with Bennett-Brouwer (1G 1A) (4.8 P60)
107:08 5-on-5 minutes with Bouma-Stajan (3G 1A) (2.24 P60)
250:55 5-on-5 minutes with Gaudreau-Monahan (7G 1A) (1.91 P60)
110:04 5-on-5 minutes with Freddie Hamilton(-Hathaway/Stajan/Bouma) (1G 2A) (1.64 P60)

That's 60% of his season right there he produced at a first line rate. Being on the top line was only one of the two thirds of the season where he did so.

Quote:
But consistency has been a huge issue in the years since.
Only because expectations are unrealistic and looking for the wrong things (goals/big hits) instead of the the things you actually can be consistent with (shots, two-way play, effort, overall production). He was consistent last year, and the year before. The only things changing last year were further development and shooting percentages. The perceived inconsistency has more to do with him simply not being on the ice as often as more perceived consistent players who get used more favorably.

Quote:
That level of play, as reckless as it is, is simply not sustainable. Do you think Tkachuk would let anyone slash Gaudreau more than Ferland would? The NHL is also apparently going to crack down on the slashing. Not to mention, Tkachuk had as many points in one season as Ferland has had in his entire career. Tkachuk quite simply makes a lot more sense. Tremendously more offensive upside, while still providing the grit.
Putting Tkachuk on the Gaudreau-Monahan effectively guts your secondary scoring. Contending teams have a 1st line caliber player or two on at least two lines, if not three. Ferland is not a star player like Tkachuk (or Backlund) who can carry a line. He's a player who is productive but you need to spread your top-end-talent out, teams typically, and Gulutzan especially are rolling four lines and your first line will only get 12-14 5-on-5 minutes a game. Ferland and Frolik are high-end middle sixers that round out the top 6. Stacking the top line is just handicapping the roster.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-03-2017 at 04:59 AM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 06:03 AM   #229
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Putting Tkachuk on the Gaudreau-Monahan effectively guts your secondary scoring. Contending teams have a 1st line caliber player or two on at least two lines, if not three. Ferland is not a star player like Tkachuk (or Backlund) who can carry a line.
Too early to say Tkachuk can carry a line.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:46 AM   #230
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
It's Giordano's team now, there's no room for Iggy in the dressing room or on the ice.
This is absurd, what is Iginla going to say:

Everyone knows Gio is and will still be captain.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Reign of Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 08:51 AM   #231
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't find it but didn't someone say Burke said at a STH event that Iggy has no interest in coming back?

I know what kind of player he is now, but I have to think there is still a spot in the lineup for him. Maybe I'm just hoping this icon still is connected to this team post retirement.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #232
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't he just buy a new home in Boston?

I figure he's got a front office job lined up with the B's locked and loaded if he doesn't get signed.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #233
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Didn't he just buy a new home in Boston?

I figure he's got a front office job lined up with the B's locked and loaded if he doesn't get signed.
Probably just likes the area. I don't see him as the front office type, but who knows.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 01:49 AM   #234
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

TSN thinks that Iginla has the best chance of being signed when compared to Doan and Jagr and that teams are talking to him.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:52 AM   #235
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be totally okay if Iggy came back on a training camp PTO if he can't find another team before then. Go out wearing the flaming C and end his career with a Saddledome name chant the way Theo did.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 02:10 AM   #236
tfi racing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

No.Just no.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:34 AM   #237
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
TSN thinks that Iginla has the best chance of being signed when compared to Doan and Jagr and that teams are talking to him.
I wonder what the chance is that no one makes an offer and hes done?
Old 07-05-2017, 10:42 AM   #238
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

If someone wants to add "toughness" in Brandon Bollig, why wouldn't anyone take a chance on someone like Iggy who is still tough as nails and can contribute offensively on the PP?
Old 07-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #239
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think I read an interview suggesting that Iggy wasn't going to sign for less than $2m (ie would rather retire). Also has to make sense for his family
Old 07-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #240
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
If someone wants to add "toughness" in Brandon Bollig, why wouldn't anyone take a chance on someone like Iggy who is still tough as nails and can contribute offensively on the PP?
Bollig signed a two-way contract and will likely spend most (if not all) of the season in the AHL.

Iginla hasn't played an AHL game in his life. Unless he's weird like Chelios, I doubt he'd want to start at 40.