Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #4341
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
See, I go back and forth on this too. There's less and less to be completely sure of with this administration. I mean you listen to him and you wonder how he can tie his shoes, but then you read Kasparov dissect these decisions and explain their effect in terms of an authoritarian's basic playbook and much of it does seem to have a purpose. It's seriously not clear how much of it the apparent incompetence is deliberate.
Whether his campaign's success was due to brilliant techniques or not, I cannot find any competency in his actual administration that would lead me to believe he's capable of planning something like this
Old 02-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #4342
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is the full draft memo.

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/cho...ement....0.pdf
Old 02-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #4343
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.b40c3029877f

On Friday, President Trump and his entourage will jet for the third straight weekend to a working getaway at his oceanfront Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, Fla.

On Saturday, Trump’s sons Eric and Don Jr., with their Secret Service details in tow, will be nearly 8,000 miles away in the United Arab Emirates, attending the grand opening of a Trump-brand golf resort in the “Beverly Hills of Dubai.”

Meanwhile, New York police will keep watch outside Trump Tower in Manhattan, the chosen home of first lady Melania Trump and son Barron. And the tiny township of Bedminster, N.J., is preparing for the daunting prospect that the local Trump golf course will serve as a sort of northern White House for as many as 10 weekends a year.

Barely a month into the Trump presidency, the unusually elaborate lifestyle of America’s new first family is straining the Secret Service and security officials, stirring financial and logistical concerns in several local communities, and costing far beyond what has been typical for past presidents — a price tag that, based on past assessments of presidential travel and security costs, could balloon into the hundreds of millions of dollars over the course of a four-year term.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #4344
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I think you're both giving the leaky administration way too much credit. As seen on Twitter

"What a move! Is he a chess champion?"
"No. He's literally gnawing on the pieces"
Finding leaks by giving different information to different people and seeing what comes out is rather basic stuff. You can get the idea just by watching film or TV.

Of course proper execution is not that trivial, but if you don't really care about possibly firing the wrong people and not finding all the leaks, you can do this simply to create paranoia among the staff, which in itself can cut down on leaks.

EDIT:
Of course if your administration is considered so incompetent and crazy that getting fired by them is not a black mark on someones career, and if the people you fire are mostly just glad to get out of the madhouse...

Last edited by Itse; 02-17-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #4345
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Underestimating Trumps resiliency has gotten the US into this mess...whether he is doing it deliberately or accidentally is irrelevant.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Old 02-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #4346
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
See, I go back and forth on this too. There's less and less to be completely sure of with this administration. I mean you listen to him and you wonder how he can tie his shoes, but then you read Kasparov dissect these decisions and explain their effect in terms of an authoritarian's basic playbook and much of it does seem to have a purpose. It's seriously not clear how much of it the apparent incompetence is deliberate.
I think you've got a QB who can't help but fumble the football, and a coach who knows this, and so runs a whole offense based on fumbling the ball downfield, with the intention of having every play be sheer chaos that might result in 20-30 yards of positive yardage through fumbles and bobbles and kicks that the defense can't possibly anticipate. But sometimes the opposition scoops it up and runs it back for a touchdown; which is fine, because you don't need to play defense then, you just get the ball on offense again. But then it turns out that the coach actually didn't care about the football game at all; while everyone was freaking out about all the fumbles, he slipped back into the locker room and robbed everyone's lockers.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:28 AM   #4347
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Its not like he pushed anyone in front of a train
Old 02-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #4348
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
I think you've got a QB who can't help but fumble the football, and a coach who knows this, and so runs a whole offense based on fumbling the ball downfield, with the intention of having every play be sheer chaos that might result in 20-30 yards of positive yardage through fumbles and bobbles and kicks that the defense can't possibly anticipate. But sometimes the opposition scoops it up and runs it back for a touchdown; which is fine, because you don't need to play defense then, you just get the ball on offense again. But then it turns out that the coach actually didn't care about the football game at all; while everyone was freaking out about all the fumbles, he slipped back into the locker room and robbed everyone's lockers.
This is both hilarious and rings pretty true... Who's the coach in this scenario though? Bannon? Because I don't have any reason to think he's some brilliant nefarious mastermind either. It could be the GOP establishment (wherein robbing lockers is them getting as much of their agenda enacted into law as quickly as possible), but they don't have any direct control over what Trump and his team do.

That all being said, Itse is right; the conspiracy theories being floated as plausible here are devious but they wouldn't take much actual skill to attempt. Giving the press false stories or planting them with suspected leakers isn't hard at all.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 02-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #4349
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.b40c3029877f

On Saturday, Trump’s sons Eric and Don Jr., with their Secret Service details in tow, will be nearly 8,000 miles away in the United Arab Emirates, attending the grand opening of a Trump-brand golf resort in the “Beverly Hills of Dubai."
Emoluments clause screams hello!!!
Old 02-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #4350
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Its not like he pushed anyone in front of a train
But he could, and his supporters wouldn't care.

It was be the biggest push ever, I mean there is pushing in front of a train and how Trump would push someone in front of a train. There really is no precedent for how well he would push, it would be the greatest push of any President. People would be talking about the push and how great that push was and just how brave Trump would be for actually have the guts to do the pushing. Plus, fake news.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
Old 02-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #4351
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It will be a great push. In some ways it may be even greater.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #4352
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obama was too weak, that's why he never pushed anyone in front of a train.
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #4353
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is both hilarious and rings pretty true... Who's the coach in this scenario though? Bannon? Because I don't have any reason to think he's some brilliant nefarious mastermind either. It could be the GOP establishment (wherein robbing lockers is them getting as much of their agenda enacted into law as quickly as possible), but they don't have any direct control over what Trump and his team do.

That all being said, Itse is right; the conspiracy theories being floated as plausible here are devious but they wouldn't take much actual skill to attempt. Giving the press false stories or planting them with suspected leakers isn't hard at all.
Yeah, I was getting at Bannon as coach, but I don't see him as brilliant either... certainly I think he fancies himself a nefarious mastermind. The metaphor would work better if the coach, through his own scheming, directed the QB to do something that the QB then did wrong and ended up drawing attention back to the coach just as he's sneaking into the locker-room.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #4354
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I read an article in the new York times yesterday postulating that one of the problems Trump was having was the inability to force staffers around him to sign NDAs, and that for a guy deathly afraid of public humiliation, these leaks are weighing in him heavily. That Trump's press conference that went completely off the rails was an attempt by Trump to reassert control over the perception of him and his administration after his Public spokes people and Twitter have been ineffective at changing the perception of his bumbling administration.

Mitch McConnell further speculated that Trump's approval record wouldn't be so dismal if he could bring himself to stick to the script. For McConnell to say that publicly I think points to to two things 1) that there is friction between Republicans and Trump and 2) that McConnell is laying the groundwork to appear in opposition to Trump for the eventual impeachment
The McConnell begging Trump to stay on message plays to their true goals I think. The Republicans have no interest in impeachment for any reason. They've proven they have no intention of governing in any sort of bipartisan fashion and an impeachment only damages their brand. Regardless of what Don does they won't act until it's either too late or they manage to dig so deeply the only way out is the other side.
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #4355
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #4356
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Little bit of info on your phone crossing the border, I didn't know Canada they could charge us with obstruction if we don't put in our password.

Might start backing up my phone to my laptop and wiping my phone when I travel, then restoring when I get to my destination. Not that I necessarily have anything to hide, but I hate facilitating such things.

https://news.vice.com/story/how-to-s...ing-the-border
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #4357
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Little bit of info on your phone crossing the border, I didn't know Canada they could charge us with obstruction if we don't put in our password.

Might start backing up my phone to my laptop and wiping my phone when I travel, then restoring when I get to my destination. Not that I necessarily have anything to hide, but I hate facilitating such things.

https://news.vice.com/story/how-to-s...ing-the-border
They can demand and search your computer too, though.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #4358
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to mention if they do get to the point where they're searching your phone and it's completely empty it's going to raise a lot of questions.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #4359
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ Good rule of thumb is if they are allowed to search your anus then pretty much nowhere you hide it is safe.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #4360
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump is the biggest asshat on earth...but some of the media does deserve some criticism for jumping to conclusions on a daily basis.

The guy who had no chance at winning the election is on the brink of being impeached...fool me ounce

If the election were held today Trump would probably win again

sad but true

Tags
making snl great again , soviet murica? , trade wars , trumpcare = doa , utterly insane pressers