Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2016, 12:33 AM   #21
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Feaster had far from a perfect situation in which to make that trade. Iginla agreed to a trade but only allowed it to a few teams. Iginla was also coming off a bad year, and it was obvious that he was on the decline.

Anyone expecting more than a 1st rounder and a couple of good, but not great, prospects was expecting too much. That was his price and both potential deals reflected that.
Bad GM.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 07-02-2016, 05:41 AM   #22
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Feaster had far from a perfect situation in which to make that trade. Iginla agreed to a trade but only allowed it to a few teams. Iginla was also coming off a bad year, and it was obvious that he was on the decline.

Anyone expecting more than a 1st rounder and a couple of good, but not great, prospects was expecting too much. That was his price and both potential deals reflected that.
Sort of true, but looking at Feasters other trades it's very apparent that other GM's were taking advantage of him. I think a more competent GM would have had better offers for Iggy even with his short list. I look no farther that what we got for Bouwmeester. That trade was as bad, if not worse ,than the Iggy trade at the deadline.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:49 AM   #23
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Sort of true, but looking at Feasters other trades it's very apparent that other GM's were taking advantage of him. I think a more competent GM would have had better offers for Iggy even with his short list. I look no farther that what we got for Bouwmeester. That trade was as bad, if not worse ,than the Iggy trade at the deadline.
Hands were tied on the Bouwmeester deal too, not only did Bouwmeester have a NMC, he had an additional year on his contract at a quite high AAV. Finding a team he was willing to waive for that also had cap space was far from an easy task. Judging Feaster on trades where he was shedding a guy with a NMC and a high salary is completely unfair IMO. Unfortunately for him that was the majority of his trades because he was busy cleaning up after Sutter.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:00 AM   #24
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Feaster's trades here are like what happened to Chiarelli trading Hall - they were trading from a position of weakness, teams were not going to give full value due to this, but ultimately, the trade is made anyway with the belief that the result of the trade will be addition by subtraction/rebalancing the team
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 07:11 AM   #25
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

has now been confirmed by GeneralFanager, CapFriendly and others. Landed himself a one-way deal, good for him!

CapFriendly ‏@CapFriendly
#CapFriendly CONFIRMED: Kenny Agostino #Blues 1 year deal / 1 way cap hit = $625,000 (575,000 base + $50,000 SB)
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:33 AM   #26
pacde
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Weird
they are willing to sign him to a one way deal on first day of free agency - but he never got a sniff here
same player

I always wonder about politics in these kinds of situations.
pacde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:38 AM   #27
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacde View Post
Weird
they are willing to sign him to a one way deal on first day of free agency - but he never got a sniff here
same player

I always wonder about politics in these kinds of situations.
The kid always had jump, however Hartley had his favourites. It's something I'm hoping has been put to rest in this organization and the new set of eyes can objectively let people play who deserve it.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:12 AM   #28
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for Agostino I hope he makes the Blues out of camp
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #29
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is one guy that I would have liked to see back. He never really got a chance, even though he probably earned one.

Oh well. At least Bollig got ice time.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #30
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Hands were tied on the Bouwmeester deal too, not only did Bouwmeester have a NMC, he had an additional year on his contract at a quite high AAV. Finding a team he was willing to waive for that also had cap space was far from an easy task. Judging Feaster on trades where he was shedding a guy with a NMC and a high salary is completely unfair IMO. Unfortunately for him that was the majority of his trades because he was busy cleaning up after Sutter.
I don't remember anything forcing Feaster to trade Boumeester. We weren't going anywhere, he could have taken his time and waited for the best deal. If teams were up against the cap, he could have waited until teams cleared space after the season was over. He seemed to always have an excuse until you looked closely.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #31
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

blues say it is a 2-way deal

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=888398
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #32
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Iginla screwed us on the return more than feaster did guys.

The only other option was to lose Jerome at the end of the season for nothing.

I hold Iginla accountable for his trade, not Jay.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #33
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post

How did Igina screw us? Sutter was the one to sign him with an NMC attached, though he definitely deserved one. Both the BOS and PIT trade packages were turd sandwiches, regardless of the NMC. Kind of pick your poison there but I do beleive a better GM would've held his own better in those negotiations. Feaster really only made two okay trades in his tenure, aquiring Stempniak for a broken Langkow, and the Cammalleri trade. Everything else was pretty bad IMO.

Bottom line, Iginla wasn't interested in re-signing because the team was bad, so they had to trade him to get "something" for him. You can blame years of mismanagement under Feaster and Sutter for that. I wouldn't of wanted to stay here either if I was him.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #34
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

This makes a lot more sense. I could not figure out what he did that was so great in the AHL that would get him a one way contract. That said, even at $625k he would probably just be higher paid AHL player like Butler. Butler also plays for the blues organization.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:41 AM   #35
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post

How did Igina screw us? Sutter was the one to sign him with an NMC attached, though he definitely deserved one. Both the BOS and PIT trade packages were turd sandwiches, regardless of the NMC. Kind of pick your poison there but I do beleive a better GM would've held his own better in those negotiations. Feaster really only made two okay trades in his tenure, aquiring Stempniak for a broken Langkow, and the Cammalleri trade. Everything else was pretty bad IMO. I suppose Russell was a solid trade as well.

Bottom line, Iginla wasn't interested in re-signing because the team was bad, so they had to trade him to get "something" for him. You can blame years of mismanagement under Feaster and Sutter for that. I wouldn't of wanted to stay here either if I was him.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #36
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
How did Igina screw us? Sutter was the one to sign him with an NMC attached, though he definitely deserved one. Both the BOS and PIT trade packages were turd sandwiches, regardless of the NMC. Kind of pick your poison there but I do beleive a better GM would've held his own better in those negotiations. Feaster really only made two okay trades in his tenure, aquiring Stempniak for a broken Langkow, and the Cammalleri trade. Everything else was pretty bad IMO. I suppose Russell was a solid trade as well.

Yeah neither package was good but King went on TV later to say that the next time this happens they'll get it in writing on what teams a player is willing to go to. So yeah he's admitting the screw up. I also think Iginla wasn't enamoured with Hartley's coaching that moved him to the 2nd and 3rd lines.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #37
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
The kid always had jump, however Hartley had his favourites. It's something I'm hoping has been put to rest in this organization and the new set of eyes can objectively let people play who deserve it.
Not sure this has anything to do with Hartley.

The Flames made this decision post-Hartley, and Huska is the one who has seen Agostino play the most. If anything, this decision suggests multiple levels of the organization were fine with letting him walk.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #38
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a big deal. The flames have a lot of picks and signings starting to come through. Nothing more than prospects being passed. Long term just not in the plans.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #39
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it is a two-way deal (which makes sense for a guy who hasn't really proven anything yet), it's not only less than what his qualifying offer would have been from the Flames, but it's also less than he made last season.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #40
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Agostino had 2g+3a in a 7-3 pre-season win over the Blue Jackets!

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/cbj-v...e_tab=boxscore

Yes it is only pre-season, but wow. Took over that 3rd period.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: