Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-01-2016, 09:55 PM   #201
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
So, when Sakic called Colborne on Friday, the first day of the National Hockey League’s annual free agent frenzy, and convinced the 26-year-old to sign with the Avalanche, he jumped at the chance.

“To have him looking forward to having me on the team and to have me be apart of this team ... that’s pretty amazing,” Colborne said.

Quote:
Of course, the fact that he suited up for the Denver Pioneers for two seasons (from 2008 to 2010) influenced his decision.

To him, outside of playing for his hometown team for the rest of his career, Colorado was the next-best destination.

“Pretty much,” Colborne said. “There were some pretty good offers from some pretty good teams. This is almost like a second home for me. I had two unbelievable years at DU and kept in touch and have been back visiting every summer since.

“It’s a real good option for me.”

Quote:
“It’s a business,” said Colborne, the perennial winner for Calgary’s local Peter Maher media-nominated “good guy” award. “I understood that. I was obviously surprised when Calgary didn’t qualify me. But decisions have to be made. I’m going to look back on these last three years as the best of my life. It’s going to be tough now leaving some of the best friends I’ve made ... there are going to be so many people I’m going to miss. But I have to realize I have a great opportunity in a city that’s almost like a second home.”

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/07/01...d-joe-colborne
Old 07-01-2016, 09:57 PM   #202
home_sweet_dome
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's abundantly clear that Treliving REALLY values compete level. Colborne just didn't have that constant motor game to game and shift to shift.

Having said that, for this price I'm disappointed we couldn't keep him. A couple years ago i really didn't see him fitting on the Flames but he's steadily improved and would've looked really good on the left side of Backlund-Frolik to form an awesome albeit expensive 3rd line.

While Brouwer is an upgrade they fit in differently and at the end of the day we still only have 6 bonafide top 9 players for next year with a bunch of other potentials that are still big question marks. Tkachuk will make it 7 but i'm still listing him as a question mark for next year as it's very possible he's back in junior.

Good luck in Colorado Joe, i had the pleasure of meeting him a couple times and was one of my favourite flames off the ice, class act all around.
home_sweet_dome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #203
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
They couldn't get an agreement at that price, I suspect, because Colborne thought he could get more by going to arbitration. As soon as he became a UFA, he was no longer eligible and he signed for what he could get on the open market.
I understand that but after he wasn't qualified, they were supposedly negotiating and as it turns out Colborne was willing at $2.5M but maybe his ego wouldn't let him drop to that price for the Flames which Treliving hinted at.

Anyways players and agents got a shot across the bow if they decide to play hardball with Treliving so the sacrifice comes across something like the Squid non trade.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #204
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I understand that but after he wasn't qualified, they were supposedly negotiating and as it turns out Colborne was willing at $2.5M but maybe his ego wouldn't let him drop to that price for the Flames which Treliving hinted at.

Anyways players and agents got a shot across the bow if they decide to play hardball with Treliving so the sacrifice comes across something like the Squid non trade.
I think it's more likely the Flames just offered less. Then once they signed Brouwer, they had no spot for Colborne any more.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #205
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Too bad about Joe, an absolute quality human being who will be missed in the community. I wish he wasn't such a nice guy on the ice though, he really needs a mean streak.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:46 AM   #206
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Too bad about Joe, an absolute quality human being who will be missed in the community. I wish he wasn't such a nice guy on the ice though, he really needs a mean streak.
Well put. Really nice kid in the community and with team mates but needs to play with more aggression.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #207
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Except Brouwer brings strength and grit that Colborne wasn't. So the offense is maybe a wash but we get more physical and stronger and harder to play against
Offense isn't a wash.

Brouwer's points were scored when the games mattered. Colborne went on an "Oiler" hot streak after they were meaningless. Every year guys who are a little soft between the ears suddenly rediscover the touch they had in junior after their teams are eliminated.

Thats the difference between these two guys. Brouwer can do it when it counts.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #208
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
However, what I see is a big kid who can skate and who has moments where he puts his game together that he becomes an almost dominating force on the ice.

I just saw him as a really big kid who, while he continued developing, would be able to control important areas of the ice for the Flames - namely, along the boards and in front of the net. He has taken great steps in both areas, and the Flames were extremely weak in those areas.
Your perception is not uncommon. But Colborne is 26. Not a "kid", and his development finished years ago.

We all like to look at him as that high first rounder with size. But he's not going to be anything more than he is right now.

Dont't get fooled by play during the last 6 weeks of a season where your team is eliminated. He isn't "coming around" any more than Sven Baertschi or Joni Ortio were.

Loved Joe the human, and wish him the best, but glad we didn't move forward with him at increased rate. Our team sucked last year, and while it was mostly goaltending, clearing the chaff need sto happen too.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 08:52 AM   #209
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Offense isn't a wash.

Brouwer's points were scored when the games mattered. Colborne went on an "Oiler" hot streak after they were meaningless. Every year guys who are a little soft between the ears suddenly rediscover the touch they had in junior after their teams are eliminated.

Thats the difference between these two guys. Brouwer can do it when it counts.

Last year's playoffs were an anomaly compared to Brouwer's career averages. His career regular season production is around .45 ppg. His career playoff production was .25 ppg going into last year's playoffs. That doesn't seem like he puts up points when it matters, does it?

He had one fantastic playoffs during a contract year at 30 years old and cashed in on it. This is a recipe for regretful contracts handed out on July 1. I'm just disappointed that even as he acknowledged that he "hates July 1st", Treliving still did hand it out.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #210
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post

He had one fantastic playoffs during a contract year at 30 years old and cashed in on it. This is a recipe for regretful contracts handed out on July 1. I'm just disappointed that even as he acknowledged that he "hates July 1st", Treliving still did hand it out.
Brouwer had a good playoffs yes, but he was getting this contract even if he had a "normal" playoff for him.

He's been incredibly consistent throughout his entire career. This wasn't a one off like Bryan Bickell or something.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #211
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Brouwer had a good playoffs yes, but he was getting this contract even if he had a "normal" playoff for him.

He's been incredibly consistent throughout his entire career. This wasn't a one off like Bryan Bickell or something.
guy was someone that scored 17+ goals in the last seven years of his career... and 40pts during that time.

while the salary was marginally higher than what i would have liked, some people act like Brouwers' contract is like Clarkson's... he might be earning maybe 250-500 K more than what was ideal...

colborne...super nice guy, but he wasn't going to sustain that production. Would i have liked keeping him at 2.5 million? Sure. Would I choose him over Brouwer? No chance. Brouwer will add a lot that regular fans won't see, but will be invaluable to guys like monahan, gaudreau and bennett and tkachuk.

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 07-02-2016 at 09:24 AM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #212
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was a big Joe fan and I thought he was progressing but it was at a pretty slow pace. Someone earlier mentioned the square peg and I agree with this. Good player without a role on the team. Just wasn't gritty enough or have that compete level in him. I think Colorado did well here and Colborne will establish himself as quality NHLer.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #213
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
guy was someone that scored 17+ goals in the last seven years of his career... and 40pts during that time.

while the salary was marginally higher than what i would have liked, some people act like Brouwers' contract is like Clarkson's... he might be earning maybe 250-500 K more than what was idea...

colborne...super nice guy, but he wasn't going to sustain that production. Would i have liked keeping him at 2.5 million? Sure. Would I choose him over Brouwer? No chance. Brouwer will add a lot that regular fans won't see, but will be invaluable to guys like monahan, gaudreau and bennett and tkachuk.
It's a cap issue, not a depth issue. So it was the equivalent of one or the other, only because we are still carrying some boat anchor contracts. Just hoping Brouwer's isn't one on the tail end of it.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #214
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Your perception is not uncommon. But Colborne is 26. Not a "kid", and his development finished years ago.

We all like to look at him as that high first rounder with size. But he's not going to be anything more than he is right now.
Offensively I think that's a given. But defensively players often improve long into their careers, and if Colborne could play a bit more of a two-way game he would be a much more useful player.

That said, I don't expect it to happen and while I wouldn't have minded him back at 2.5M a year, I'm not against cutting him / letting him walk. (And I always liked Colborne more than many others on this board.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #215
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
It's a cap issue, not a depth issue. So it was the equivalent of one or the other, only because we are still carrying some boat anchor contracts. Just hoping Brouwer's isn't one on the tail end of it.
sure, and the contract is a tad high (i was hoping for brouwer but at a 4x4) but not wildly so

there was, and still is some risk, however, we need RWers and as loathe as i am to knowledge moar grit, Brouwer could help out guys like Gaudreau...

for all of his size, Colborne just didn't seem to use it enough...if he was consistent, he'd be a really good player....
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #216
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is just the natural transition for a rebuilding team. The players we all like as people just might not be right for a team trying to make that next step.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 10:06 AM   #217
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

A late season surge to 19 goals is still worth a heck of a lot more to me than a late season surge to 8 goals - combined - out of bouma bollig and Ferland. Or Stajan and his 6 goals.

The list of inconsistent struggling forwards to cast aside hardly starts with colborne.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #218
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
A late season surge to 19 goals is still worth a heck of a lot more to me than a late season surge to 8 goals - combined - out of bouma bollig and Ferland. Or Stajan and his 6 goals.

The list of inconsistent struggling forwards to cast aside hardly starts with colborne.

I agree but 2 of those players are untradeable. You can't give up on Ferland to give a roster spot to Colborne. You might get me to agree that Bouma should have been traded to make room for Colborne.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #219
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post

True, but Bouma has been rumored to be on the trade block, they'd probably trade Stajan in a millisecond if someone would bite without sending salary back, Bollig isn't there to score goals, and Ferland while not at the "Canuck series" level was still one of our most physical forwards last season.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 01:52 PM   #220
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatLandFlamesFan View Post
Just "The Process" moving forward. make space fill holes/roles
I'll miss Joe but he just never quite took the next step in his development, so close to it though.
best of luck in Col.
He's improved his points/game for three consecutive seasons.

We let go of an RFA who was better than 0.5 p/g and trending up, for nothing, and replaced him with a lower scoring, older, more expensive UFA.

Time to stop worshipping Treliving.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post: