Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #41
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

First one is a real long shot, but whatever.

Flames re-sign Monahan, Gaudreau, Colborne, Hamilton, Jooris, Nakladal, Wotherspoon, Ortio (among others in minors)
Flames sign Lucic, Reimer, Pribyl
Flames win #2 pick and take Laine

1. Gaudreau (7.500) - Monahan (6.000) - Lucic (6.000)
2. Colborne (2.500) - Backlund (3.250) - Pribyl (0.925)
3. M. Frolik (4.300) - S Bennett (0.925) - Laine (0.925)
4. L. Bouma (2.200) - Hamilton (0.800) - Hathaway (0.690)

Extras - Bollig (1.250) - Jooris (1.000)

1. TJ Brodie (4.650) - Hamilton (5.750)
2. Giordano (6.750) - Nakladal (1.000)
3. Jokipakka (0.900) - Engelland (2.916)

Extra - Wotherspoon (0.900)

1. Reimer (4.500)
2. J. Ortio (0.900)

Total Cap - $66.531 million

So roughly $7.5 million in cap space to deal with Smid/Stajan/Raymond/Wideman cap implications via retained salary and/or buried salary and/or buy out penalties.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #42
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

So many terrible suggestions for goalies. Any UFA goalie we get is going to be an anchor for a long time cause were going to overpay and none of the options are much of an upgrade on what we already have. Stupid. Guaranteed we regret signing a UFA goalie. Just roll with Ortio and Ramo cause Reimer is no better.

Also if Wideman is on this team next year thats a failure on Treliving. Especially if we lose Nakladal.

Really hoping that Treliving pulls some magic off cause the obvious Flames moves point to an offseason I will hate. I have faith he will though. His trades are a thing of beauty.

Last edited by polak; 04-10-2016 at 02:27 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2016, 02:51 PM   #43
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Are the Flames so bad that players from Finland, who are not the top players on their Finnish teams ready to come over and play on the Flames top line as an 18 year old.

Barkov was bigger and came over and had a great rookie season as a 18 year old - 8 goals 24 pts in 54 games. He was the 2nd leading scorer on his Euro team 53 pts in 56 games. (1st in ppg).

Puljujarvi is 6th in his team's scoring 28 pts in 50 games .... Is 2nd round pick from 2014 Aho, going to be rookie of year with Carolina? He had 45 pts in 45 games on Puljujarvi's team.

Laine is 5th in his teams scoring 33 pts in 46 games Leading scoring on his team has 59 pts in 56 games.

Is the NHL a step down from SM-Liiga?

Both of these guys are going to be at least a year , maybe 2 away from having an impact at the NHL level.
You don't know that. The biggest problem with your post is that you seem to assume these young players aren't improving rapidly. They are playing well and succeeding against players much older than they are. Sean Monahan made the Flames as an 18 year old and he hadn't EVER played against men yet. How is that even possible according to you?

We could turn your stupid stats argument around on its face if you really want. Puljujarvi scored 17 points at the World Juniors to tie Eric Lindros and Wayne Gretzky for most points EVER in the tournament by a 17 year old. Are the Flames so good that a Gretzky/Lindros type talent couldn't make their team? See how stupid a stats based argument look?

You're a piece of work man.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #44
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Don't agree with every word in this post, but I agree with the sentiment that we can't be pencilling in anybody from this draft into our lineup quite yet. Seeing Monahan come onto the team immediately was not the norm.
It's not the norm for first rounders overall but it is usually the norm for players taken in the top 3 spots. If we're drafting top 2 that player is NHL ready. Puljujarvi would probably make the team as well but you do have the option of starting him in the AHL.

So the lottery may very well determine if we get an NHL ready guy this draft or not.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #45
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not going to be too optimistic about changes, expect time and money spent on extensions and goaltending. Will be surprised to see much in the way of trades, although I'd sure like it. Also, preparing myself for the disappointment of no Nakladal re-signing

Gaudreau - Monahan - Shinkaruk (Expecting a big training camp from him, but the musical RWers continues. Different guy in this spot every 2nd or 3rd game)
Ferland - Bennett - Colborne
Bouma - Backlund - Frolik
Bollig - Stajan - Hathaway
Jooris

Brodie - Hamilton
Giordano - Engelland
Jokipakka - Wideman
Smid

Reimer
Ortio
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #46
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Are the Flames so bad that players from Finland, who are not the top players on their Finnish teams ready to come over and play on the Flames top line as an 18 year old.

Barkov was bigger and came over and had a great rookie season as a 18 year old - 8 goals 24 pts in 54 games. He was the 2nd leading scorer on his Euro team 53 pts in 56 games. (1st in ppg).

Puljujarvi is 6th in his team's scoring 28 pts in 50 games .... Is 2nd round pick from 2014 Aho, going to be rookie of year with Carolina? He had 45 pts in 45 games on Puljujarvi's team.

Laine is 5th in his teams scoring 33 pts in 46 games Leading scoring on his team has 59 pts in 56 games.

Is the NHL a step down from SM-Liiga?

Both of these guys are going to be at least a year , maybe 2 away from having an impact at the NHL level.
Are you aware that both the Finnish lads are still growing and developing like every other prospective draftable player?

I know how important stats are to you....are you aware that Laine is leading the entire Sm liiga Playoffs in goals with SEVEN, 3 of them game winners..in ten games played .

Cmon man....you wanna be taken seriously , get with the program.

Last edited by timbit; 04-10-2016 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Correction on games played
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #47
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Are you aware that both the Finnish lads are still growing and developing like every other prospective draftable player?

I know how important stats are to you....are you aware that Laine is leading the entire Sm liiga Playoffs in goals with SEVEN, 3 of them game winners..in ONLY five games played ,because of injury. Next highest goal scorer has 5 and played more games....

Cmon man....you wanna be taken seriously , get with the program.
Yup. I can see those guys having a 30-35 point rookie seasons next year. Won't be in the calder race, but still very good
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #48
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Players can develop quite fast at this age. Sebastian Aho was a second rounder who few talked about, not much older than Matthews actually, and this season he's among the best forwards in the league: he had 45 points in 45 games in the regular season and leads the scoring in playoffs with 13 points in 11 games. As a player type he doesn't project to be a first line center, but it shows how much progress kids make in a few months.

Laine has stepped up in the playoffs. Puljujärvi still has 6 points in 7 games but he doesn't stand out on his team like Laine. Laine has 7 goals in 10 games, 5 goals in 5 games in the semifinal series so far, and not a single fluke among them. He leads the playoffs both in goals and shots (69). Project him forward six months and he's pretty close to an NHL player.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #49
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
So many terrible suggestions for goalies. Any UFA goalie we get is going to be an anchor for a long time cause were going to overpay and none of the options are much of an upgrade on what we already have. Stupid. Guaranteed we regret signing a UFA goalie. Just roll with Ortio and Ramo cause Reimer is no better.
Just roll with Ortio and Ramo is by far and away the most terrible suggestion for goalies in this thread.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mister Yamoto For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #50
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
Just roll with Ortio and Ramo is by far and away the most terrible suggestion for goalies in this thread.
I might seem "terrible" short term but long term it might be the least-bad option available. Might even allow us to avoid another "three goalie monster" when it's time to hand the baton to Gillies.

The three biggest things to avoid in a goalie acquisition:

1) Term (Reimer, Howard, etc)
2) AAV (Bobrovsky)
3) Give up futures like first round draft picks / prospects for a guy who might not be here in four seasons. (Bishop, Andersen)

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 04-10-2016 at 04:34 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #51
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Radim Vrbata
Kreider-Bennett-Shinkaruk
Colborne-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Stajan-Hathaway

Gio-Brodie
Jokipakka-Hamilton
Engelland-Wotherspoon
Smid

#1 Goalie X
Ortio

Bye to Wideman, Bollig, Backstrom, Ramo, Hiller, Jooris.

I think you can deal Wideman in this offseason. Even for table scraps or whatever.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #52
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind Ramo so much, but there is no way the Flames should be putting all their eggs in that basket when it's been on the shelf for 8-9 months.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2016, 04:54 PM   #53
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Poirier
Shinkaruk-Bennett-Ferland
Colborne-Backlund-Frolik
Bouma-Stajan-Hathaway
- Bollig
- F.Hamilton

Giordano-Brodie
Chychrun-Hamilton
Jokipakka-Nakladal
- Engelland

Bishop-Ortio

* All subject to weekly change. Of course.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #54
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne
Ferland - Bennett - 1st round pick if not a defencemen
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Bouma - Stajan - Hathaway
Bollig

Giordano - Brodie
Jokipakka - Hamilton
Nakladal - Engelland
Wotherspoon

Reimer
Ortio

I am also of the mind that Jooris is not re-signed. I like him, but this team is just going to be more difficult to fit him in. I think Treliving really liked what Hathaway brought.

Jankowski I think will start off in the NHL - perhaps a long look anyways. Depending on how he does, he may just end up sticking. If that is the case, I bet he becomes a guy that Hartley throws onto a lot of different lines. Sticking him with Backlund and Frolik makes sense to me since he plays a similar 200ft game, and they can get him up to speed quicker with how to translate that game into the NHL. However, I think Colborne fits that line really well, and I bet Jankowski gets in on the top line now and then.

Defence is what I have the most problems in slotting guys in. Wideman is still on the team, and he won't be scratched. Unsure if he will be traded. I don't buy that stupid rumor that the Flames have been trying to trade Wideman for a couple of seasons now - if that was really the case, he would have been traded during the last off-season right after he had that great year. I am just unsure what his market value is now after having such a poor year.

I also expect Stajan and/or Bouma to be traded at some point, but they make the opening day roster for now. I like Bouma, and Stajan is a good leader in the room, but that is an expensive 4th line and the Flames would be better served with having cheaper and faster options who can bring some grit.

Edit:
I would just like to add that the Flames sign Reimer since he won't cost assets. However, if he or Ortio start faltering, I bet that they sign Ramo. Wouldn't mind Ramo signed for the Heat just with that in mind, and then upgrade his contract to an NHL one. With how many goalies are looking for spots this off-season, I don't think Ramo will sign anywhere else - but who knows.

Last edited by Calgary4LIfe; 04-10-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #55
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
1) Term (Reimer, Howard, etc)
Not sure what you mean exactly here. Reimer might be had on a 2 year deal. I wouldn't consider that term. There's not many teams who can offer him a starting gig in the NHL and one of them is the place he just left and won't want to go back to. If Reimer wants to play as a starter in the NHL and we say sure, 2 years, 4 million per I'm not sure what team would be offering more term or more dollars. CAR is the only other team with goalie uncertainty.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #56
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
- Nobody is trading for Raymond, Bollig, Wideman, Smid, or Engelland, unless we take back a contract that's just as bad. Might as well play the lot of them, see if they can show something, trade them at the deadline if they do, or let them walk next summer if they don't.
Same old tired lines. Guess what? Engelland has tremendous value. Guy played at or above expectations this year. GM's love veteran defensemen more than your average fan. GM's value physical, stay at home defensemen far above your average fan. I have no doubt teams called asking about Engelland at the deadline and I have no doubt if Treliving wanted to shop him this summer he'd get good value back for Engelland.

Wideman also has value. He's a proven veteran top 4 defenseman who is a right shot and can play the power play. Market value for that is 5 million+. GM's know this and aren't afraid to pay market value for defensemen. You see it every July 1st. Fans sit back and say, OMG overpayment, wow overpayments. They do it at the trade deadline too. OMG that team just overpaid huge for a veteran depth defenseman! What does this tell us? That fans are underrating both their market salaries and their trade value! Wideman to many of us appears overpaid and therefore unmoveable. Wideman to a GM in need of a veteran top 4 defenseman who is a right shooter and can play the power play looks like he's paid market value and will probably cost something to acquire.

I have no doubt Treliving will be moving Wideman this summer. His salary doesn't make sense in our structure because we have better, young options ahead of him. There's teams out there that can use him where his salary will fit his role better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2016, 06:03 PM   #57
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Shinkaruk
Laine*-Bennett-Eriksson*
Colborne-Backlund-Frolik
Bouma-Stajan-Ferland/Hathaway

Brodie-Hamilton
Giordano-Hamonic*
Jokipakka-Nakladal
Kulak

Reimer*
Ortio

1.Trade Bollig, Wideman and hope that Raymond and Smid retire

2.Wideman+Dal 1st 2016+Tyler Wotherspoon for Travis Hamonic

3. Sign Gaudreau at 7.5 MM and Monahan at 6.5 MM

4. Sign Eriksson to a 6 million dollar comtract and Reimer to a 4.0 million dollar contract.

5. Somehow win the lottery in some capacity and draft Laine

Last edited by keenan87; 04-10-2016 at 06:07 PM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:58 AM   #58
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
You don't know that. The biggest problem with your post is that you seem to assume these young players aren't improving rapidly. They are playing well and succeeding against players much older than they are. Sean Monahan made the Flames as an 18 year old and he hadn't EVER played against men yet. How is that even possible according to you?

We could turn your stupid stats argument around on its face if you really want. Puljujarvi scored 17 points at the World Juniors to tie Eric Lindros and Wayne Gretzky for most points EVER in the tournament by a 17 year old. Are the Flames so good that a Gretzky/Lindros type talent couldn't make their team? See how stupid a stats based argument look?

You're a piece of work man.
It's Oilers level foolish to assume anyone in this draft, even Matthews, would come in and play at a first line level.

Regardedless of how good they are, it's not how Bob Hartley coaches.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2016, 07:00 AM   #59
5by5
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Some of these proposed rosters are awesome, but some have not taken one very important variable into account; EXPANSION.
Does it even happen, when, how many teams, NTC, etc.? How would mgmt protect all these shiny new assets if it does? 8 plyr max I believe. Do they keep Stajan, Wideman or Raymond for expansion fodder? This is a fun but a totally futile exercise until we know what the rules of the game are.
5by5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #60
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

I just can't believe that some people actually want to roll with Ramo/Ortio again.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post: