Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #281
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Does it though? If you're signing Lucic, you're not looking at just next season; he was getting 7 years wherever he went. Tkachuk probably won't be ready for next year, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have been a problem 3 years from now if they'd signed Lucic.

As for the comparisons with Brouwer, let's tone down the homer in here... Brouwer is not remotely close to being as good as Lucic. Not in the same conversation.
I wasn't comparing him to Brouwer, Lucic is clearly a step above. I think the Flames view Brouwer as a stop gap top 6 guy until Tkachuk is ready. He will probably be a third liner by the end of the deal because Tkachuk will replace him. The Flames try to sign Lucic if there is no heir apparent because they need a top 6 power forward and they believe they won't draft top 10 again for a good long while.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #282
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know you weren't; others were though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #283
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man the Oilers just cannot figure it out
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #284
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Like I said above. It was an honest mistake. I looked in the wrong column on nhlnumbers.I've apologized for that.
You seem sane enough, the problem this happens *every* year: Oil take a few high draft picks, sign a free agent or two -- and they start coming out of the woodwork to join this board and talk trash. As if you win games on paper -- never mind waiting until the playoffs. And then by December they're **gone**; no humble pie ate, to return again next summer... Rinse, repeat.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:42 PM   #285
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Three years ago the Oilers line up was...

Hall (6'1, 201) - RNH (6'0, 189) - Eberle (5'11, 181)
Perron (6'0, 200) - Gagner (5'10, 202) - Yakupov (5'11, 195)
Smyth (6'2, 191) - Gordon (6'0, 200) - Hemsky (6'0, 185)
Jones (6'0, 205) - Acton (6'3, 202) - Joensuu (6'4, 210)

Petry (6'3, 204) - J.Schultz (6'2, 193)
Ference (5'11, 183) - N.Schultz (6'1, 203)
Marincin (6'4, 201) - Belov (6'4, 218)

Now it's

Lucic (6'3, 230) - McDavid (6'1, 191) - Eberle (5'11, 181)
Maroon (6'3, 230) - Draisaitl (6'1, 214) - Puljujarvi (6'4, 204)
Pouliot (6'3, 200) - RNH (6'0, 189) - Kassian (6'3, 217)
Hendricks (6'0, 207) - Letestu (5'10, 197) - Pakarinen (6'1, 215)

Klefbom (6'3, 215) - Larsson (6'3, 205)
Davidson (6'2, 210) - Sekera (6'0, 198)
Nurse (6'4, 213) - Reinhart (6'4, 212)

I'd say things have changed. This line up needs a lot of work but it won't get pushed around like it has in the past. Big difference in the top 6 and defense.

Man, I wonder how small, skilled teams like the Pens and Blackhawks are going to handle the big bad Oilers?

Old 07-01-2016, 10:14 PM   #286
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

there's no question Lucic is a very good player... and if calgary could have signed him to a 4x6, i'd be all over it...

but its a 7x6

and as thrilling as it is for Oiler fans to hoover up top draft picks through sheer fortune year after year after year after year after year....there is a reckoning to be paid when/if these guys pan out.

There will be some juggling to do under the cap and Lucic has the potential to be a Hartnell-esque anchor....I'm sure Columbus fans thought that was a great contract too, a lifetime ago...

Teams like Chicago weather that storm year over year, trading their core, but somehow being able to replace those players.

However, Chicago is a model franchise... Edmonton couldn't even raise their draft position a year after drafting the 'best player since Crosby'...second last before McDavid... and stunningly, second last after McDavid...

lol... even Buffalo jumped 7 slots after drafting the consolation prize

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 07-01-2016 at 10:16 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2016, 10:41 PM   #287
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Perfectly understandable mistake. As an Oiler fan you are accustomed to thinking ahead to next year.
Sadly, you're going to have to find a relevant updated avatar

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:58 PM   #288
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Three years ago the Oilers line up was...

Hall (6'1, 201) - RNH (6'0, 189) - Eberle (5'11, 181)
Perron (6'0, 200) - Gagner (5'10, 202) - Yakupov (5'11, 195)
Smyth (6'2, 191) - Gordon (6'0, 200) - Hemsky (6'0, 185)
Jones (6'0, 205) - Acton (6'3, 202) - Joensuu (6'4, 210)

Petry (6'3, 204) - J.Schultz (6'2, 193)
Ference (5'11, 183) - N.Schultz (6'1, 203)
Marincin (6'4, 201) - Belov (6'4, 218)

Now it's

Lucic (6'3, 230) - McDavid (6'1, 191) - Eberle (5'11, 181)
Maroon (6'3, 230) - Draisaitl (6'1, 214) - Puljujarvi (6'4, 204)
Pouliot (6'3, 200) - RNH (6'0, 189) - Kassian (6'3, 217)
Hendricks (6'0, 207) - Letestu (5'10, 197) - Pakarinen (6'1, 215)

Klefbom (6'3, 215) - Larsson (6'3, 205)
Davidson (6'2, 210) - Sekera (6'0, 198)
Nurse (6'4, 213) - Reinhart (6'4, 212)

I'd say things have changed. This line up needs a lot of work but it won't get pushed around like it has in the past. Big difference in the top 6 and defense.
Why did you cut Yakupov? I know he's terrible and selfish but he should still be able to make the NHL next year, no?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:01 PM   #289
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
...As for the comparisons with Brouwer, let's tone down the homer in here... Brouwer is not remotely close to being as good as Lucic. Not in the same conversation.
I agree that Lucic is a better hockey player than Brouwer, but the gap between them is certainly not much beyond "remotely close."

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2016, 11:07 PM   #290
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Oiler fans can now start the 7 stages of Lucic

Disbelief - OMG I Can't believe we got Lucic, the guys a beast, we're a Contender now and teams will fear us.

Denial - Holy crap I can't believe its January and he's got 8 goals and is a -10 and he's been playing on Connors line. How can a big guy like him be so lazy

Bargaining - Please god let the Oilers turn this around and make the playoffs, I'll do anything you ask

Guilt - I can't believe I keep believing in this team, I've wasted my life

Anger - Last again, unbelievable

Depression - I should really do something else with my life, no other fan base likes me because I cheer for the Oilers, have a mullet and had a suit made out of sweat pants material

Acceptance/hope - At least we're in the lottery we deserve the number one draft pick, next year we'll be awesome.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2016, 11:13 PM   #291
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Disbelief - OMG I Can't believe we got Lucic, the guys a beast, we're a Contender now and teams will fear us.

Denial - Holy crap I can't believe its January and he's got 8 goals and is a -10 and he's been playing on Connors line. How can a big guy like him be so lazy

Bargaining - Please god let the Oilers turn this around and make the playoffs, I'll do anything you ask

Depression - I should really do something else with my life, no other fan base likes me because I cheer for the Oilers, have a mullet and had a suit made out of sweat pants material

Acceptance/hope - At least we're in the lottery we deserve the number one draft pick, next year we'll be awesome.
You forgot a stage:

False Hope - OMG he scored a hat trick against the Canucks! We're going back to the Finals!

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:25 PM   #292
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
Sadly, you're going to have to find a relevant updated avatar
Derp?
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:31 PM   #293
Erratik
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks for the laugh. Although honestly I don't think the Oilers will finish last this year.
Erratik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:11 AM   #294
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
7 years, this will come back to bite them in the arse before the deal expires. Good signing for tomorrow though. He's the type of player they desperately needed. They still go nowhere without upgrading their defence.
Thats the thing, lets be generous for a moment and assume that this deal will work out splendidly for the Oilers for at least half of it. 3.5 years of this deal will be Unicorns pooping rainbows.

So what?

Are the Oilers in any shape to do anything within that timeframe? Does this help them toward any form of ultimate goal whatsoever?

So the valuable timeframe of the contract will be squandered as the inept morons wander about the wasteland of failure and just when things might start to work out the anchor years will kick in negating any positive effects.

Brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
I wonder if we ever hear how big a part Treliving played in driving this contract up?
Probably none. In fairness, the Oilers dont need any help when it comes to sewering their own team. Its the one thing they're truly good at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratik View Post
Thanks for the laugh. Although honestly I don't think the Oilers will finish last this year.
Couldnt agree more, they will not be dead last in this upcoming season, they will not be the worst team in the league. But they'll be in that conversation.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:22 AM   #295
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

October: Disbelief
November: Denial
December: Bargaining
January: Guilt (the drinking tends to escalate around this time)
February: Anger (Due to not enough booze in the world to numb the pain)
March: Depression (Due to an increased tolerance to alcohol lowering its already futile effect)
April: Acceptance (Thr annual switch from booze to kool aid)
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #296
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

i'd have loved Lucic on the Flames. Really wanted him to sign here. But that contract .... wow ...

He'll be a load to handle and he'll pound on just about any Flame he wants to - Engellend probably has the best shot to earn a draw.

He'll try to intimidate and isn't afraid to send a message in a scrum. Used to love the guy as a player. Now he's gone full Oiler.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #297
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think a serious question that nobody seems to be asking is "can Lucic even keep up with McDavid?"

His game is 100% speed and being good on his edges, while Milan isn't a great skater. Maybe they just don't jive well.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #298
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Derp?
I mean, Lucic isn't exactly going to be splitting the atom any time soon. The overall theme remains relevant.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #299
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that this contract can't be bought out makes me happy
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #300
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

Lucic is on a steady decline. Boston got rid of him at a good time, and LA wasn't about to re sign him for a crazy term. Buuuuuuut, Edmonton did. Good for them, they will be happy with him until the season starts and they realize he is slow AF, and has no grit left. He doesn't play anywhere close to the same game he did when he was 25. Congrats Edmonton, you just paid 6 million per year for 20 goals and 100 PIMS
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote