Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-01-2016, 03:04 PM   #41
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
please no thanks necessary.

likely my last day doing this as well...
Yes, necessary,
Please don't quit, sureLoss.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #42
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

It's always nice to see a community taking a moment to recognize unique contributions, especially when it's something as significant as what the man known as "sureloss" provides to CP. What he brings to the table, requires a ridiculous commitment of year 'round time and effort.

Some of us like to joke that there's no point in even trying post news on this forum because of how one man seems to have every angle covered. We like to think he sits in a batcave, surrounded by monitors that are directly into his cerebral cortex. Be it night or day, the depths of Winter or a warm, sunny Summer afternoon, he always seems to show up and deliver the breaking news to this community, in the most efficient, clean and organized fashion, without ever asking or expecting anything in return. His ability to utilize social media as an aggregate source for all things Flames, is second to none.

It really is an amazing feat and I'm not sure how many people actually realize how much work it actually is. It's a yearly commitment. However, the key difference is, it's not work if you genuinely love doing it. And that's the key, he really does seem to love doing it. Maybe it started as a hobby, something he'd do from time to time, but it pretty clearly grew into a passion, and we all get to be the lucky recipients of watching a man do the thing that he loves.

His earlier comment was born from the fact that when people begin to bicker amongst each other, acting out against others who dare try to step into the role he's so masterfully perfected, he can't help but ask himself if he's starting to do more harm than good.

Yes, he does an amazing job. No, he doesn't want some sort of special treatment. No, he doesn't want to be the only person posting the news. He comes here, as most of us do, to be a part of a community, he enjoys reading other people's threads just as any of us do. What he does want (and sureloss, please, stop me if I'm way off base here), is for people to stop worrying so much about who breaks the news and instead get back to focusing on sharing in the excitement of it all.

A few years back, he and I covered a July 1 as something of a team. It wasn't planned, it just sort of happened. I can tell you from my own personal experience, it was a lot of work. It was basically an 8-hour marathon of scanning social media, listening to the radio, watching TV, jumping back and forth between tabs, copying/pasting and refreshing, trying to deliver all of the news as quickly as possible. I basically ignored my wife and kids and locked myself in my office for the entire day.

Afterwards, while plenty of people were thanking us for a job well done, he and I spoke privately and congratulated each other on a fun day. He wasn't upset that someone was "trying to steal the spotlight" as I've seen others suggest today, he seemed to genuinely have as much fun as I did being a part of generating discussion that so many people seemed to get so much enjoyment out of. I walked away from that wishing I could repeat that feeling of excitement 365 days a year (and then went to beg forgiveness from my wife ).

There's something pure about that process and people need to stop bitching and moaning and just let what happens, occur naturally. Don't try to dictate who gets to be a part of generating that feeling, and don't worry about how it happens. If things get out of hand, if too many threads are being duplicated or sources aren't being properly vetted, we have a more than capable moderating team that can take care of it.

Sit back and enjoy the ride, after all... that's what we're all here for. Sureloss, while CP wouldn't be the same without your contributions, that's a secondary (and selfish) reason for asking you to keep going. If this is a passion for you, it would be a crime to shelve it. And if it ever becomes work, no one would fault you for taking a break. No one deserves one more than you, bud.

StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #43
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Lets raise our glass and toast sureloss for the great effort he did on trade deadline day! He helps to make this the best site on the internet for news and discussion on hockey in general and the Flames.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #44
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
please no thanks necessary.

likely my last day doing this as well...
And thats the Bottom Line! Cause sureLoss said so
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #45
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wtg SureLoss
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:57 PM   #46
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

How am I going to seem so well connected to my friends now...
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2016, 06:02 PM   #47
Fire in the disco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Post here and there but sureLoss makes CP what it is. So long and thanks for all the news
Fire in the disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #48
RobbieT
Draft Pick

Faster than Twitter! Amazing, and keeps me reading!! Thanks...
RobbieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #49
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

My problem with Twitter is that I follow so many other non hockey people so its hard to get hockey news.

Coming to CP is so much better because all the threads are organized. Great job indeed.

EDIT: I would love to know how you are so fast. Pretty amazing stuff from those of us that have been here for years.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #50
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do we know who this sureLoss is and his connection?

Whoever he is, thanks for the useful information.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:49 PM   #51
AhiChicken
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks to SureLoss and all his contributions throughout the year. Best poster ever.

And on that bombshell...
AhiChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #52
Buck
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Just a simple thank you SureLoss. Please don't go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:48 PM   #53
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

SureLoss isnt the Hero we deserve, he's just the hero that we need right now!

You merely adopted the Twitter, he was born in it, molded by it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 12:14 AM   #54
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Many kudos to sureLoss. If you have to go, I respect that. And if you do not have to go, please don't. Your contributions are top notch.

There is something to be said for the credibility you have established and you probably don't appreciate how much people value your contributions
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #55
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont understand what people are having issues with? That SureLoss breaks all the news? Oh no...the horror!

Why are we all coming here? The news. And hes bringing it to us promptly and accurately without editorial. How can anyone have any complaints?

And if so much as one person complains that they dont get the credit and internet thanks and he does they deserve a swift slap across the face.

I've never seen any indication that SureLoss does what he does for the 'Internet Glory.'

So yeah, Thanks SureLoss, I can tell you that your work is appreciated by the vast majority.
Anyone who complains about sureloss should be banned from the site.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #56
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sureloss simply the best. I hope he doesn't change or go.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #57
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sureloss, if you decide to have your own website and twitter handle, please PM it to me so that I can follow you.

I mostly come to CP only to read your posts.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #58
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Sureloss, if you decide to have your own website and twitter handle, please PM it to me so that I can follow you.
Sureloss, if you decide to have your own website and twitter handle, please post it for us so that we can follow you.

Fixed
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to doctajones428 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #59
fanman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nooooo!
I hope you're not leaving long-term. Thanks for all the effort and hours you've put into CP.
Your news feeds have really saved my bacon. I've been able to log in here to get all my hockey news since I moved overseas.

Without people like you I wouldn't have any idea whats going on in the NHL as I don't have time to scour twitter and five different websites for info.

I can't overstate my appreciation for your efforts. Cheers Sureloss!
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #60
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

sureloss, I love your posts and the rapid news breaks; as others have said, you have been a big contributor to CP being a pretty easy place to look for one-stop shopping and that's great for the casual fan like me on a day like July 1 (or really any day, ha ha).

What saddens me about CP and sometimes keeps me away - and I hope this isn't the reason you're stopping - is the constant bickering between certain types of posters. This isn't about differences of opinion - it's personal attacks and comments about how stupid someone is or how their posts are "always {fill in negative comment here}".

So, if you stop - be well and know that you were super-appreciated by me for your diligence and the enjoyment of being "in the know" that I got from your news breaks.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post: