Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Ryan Smyth takes dirty shot in Senior game

I know we all hate the Oilers, but former Oiler or not, it looks like Smyth took a tremendously dirty elbow to the head after scoring for the Stoney Plains Eagles.

There isn't any room in the game for this kind of junk, hopefully Kyle Sheen gets suspended for life

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/f...nior-aaa-game/

Sheen looks like he was a goon throughout his hockey career racking up high penalty minutes while he floated around the butt holes of minor league hockey.

I can't find any video of the elbow but it sounds like it happened right after Smyth scored and this idiot left his feet and smoked him.

Glad to see that Smyth is ok.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

At first I read it that Smyth gave the elbow and I was like ''what a jerk''. But now I read it's the other guy. What a jerk.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #3
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know Ryan Smyth is playing for the love of the game, but being a former pro playing in that league? He must have a huge target on his back.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 08:41 AM   #4
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too many guys watch a movie like Goon - and forget it is just a movie. Targeting the head is one of the most low class moves you can make. Hope Ryan is ok.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Too many guys watch a movie like Goon - and forget it is just a movie. Targeting the head is one of the most low class moves you can make. Hope Ryan is ok.
Low level sports is rife with attitudes like that though and unfortunately Smyth gives them an NHLer to measure themselves against.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #6
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

During game play is bad enough, but if the flying elbow happened after a goal, Hockey Canada needs to ban him for life.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I grew up in Banff. Ryan used to play on our back yard rink.

He loves the game.

More important, he wasn't an Oiler fan growing up. He was a Kings fan.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:06 AM   #8
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

You hate seeing that sort of crap. Especially when it's supposed to be for fun.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #9
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
You hate seeing that sort of crap. Especially when it's supposed to be for fun.
That's Allan Cup level senior hockey. Pretty serious/good hockey. Not justifying the incident, just sayin'
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I know Ryan Smyth is playing for the love of the game, but being a former pro playing in that league? He must have a huge target on his back.
Byron Dafoe plays on a team here in kelowna (in the over 40 league). i've talked with him a few times and asked him why he plays out instead of goal. his first answer didn't surprise me at all... knees are shot. he also said that there are a lot of guys that are complete losers/idiots on the ice and when they know they are playing an ex-pro. do you really need to 'celi' all the way back to your own zone just becuz you slid a puck past a retired nhl goalie? do you really need to run the goalie? the retired pro has nothing to prove - he played in the nhl with the best of the best. he's on the ice becuz now he loves the game and doesn't need any of the bs
Old 03-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #11
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was wondering if Smyth (who only just turned 41, which is young you whippersnappers!) was just running over this league and scoring at will. Not that it would give this Sheen guy an excuse to elbow him in the head after a goal, but it would at least give something of a rationale. Nobody likes to be humiliated.

Don't know how up-to-date the stats are, but after 10 games, Smyth had five goals and 12 assists, so that's not it. He's not even the highest scorer on the team.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #12
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
I was wondering if Smyth (who only just turned 41, which is young you whippersnappers!) was just running over this league and scoring at will. Not that it would give this Sheen guy an excuse to elbow him in the head after a goal, but it would at least give something of a rationale. Nobody likes to be humiliated.

Don't know how up-to-date the stats are, but after 10 games, Smyth had five goals and 12 assists, so that's not it. He's not even the highest scorer on the team.
He is tied for highest point per game (among player playing more than 2 games)
ToraToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #13
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Ryan Smyth was a pretty dirty player. He was rat like in the way he would make things "look" like accidents. Watched him do it his entire career.

That said, unfortunate he got elbowed in the head. No reason for that in any hockey league.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #14
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to go see that game.

This is good hockey, I have a buddy that use to play for the Generals and his hometown.

http://www.chinookhockeyleague.com/l...&clientID=3293

This is the website, in case you want to go see some good hockey.

I think I might have to hit the next Generals game.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #15
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Ryan Smyth was a pretty dirty player. He was rat like in the way he would make things "look" like accidents. Watched him do it his entire career.

That said, unfortunate he got elbowed in the head. No reason for that in any hockey league.
that's just you being a mindless oiler hater. Smyth wasn't a dirty rat by any means.
besides, this isn't the place for the comment, as you look like you're making a case why the cheap shot was "deserved".

what makes the elbow even worse is that it's after a goal.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #16
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

In-laws are close friends with Smyth's parents. Sounded pretty ugly. I know he likely has a target on his back due to name recognition, but pretty ridiculous that things like this happens in a league where most guys have to get up and go to work the next day (maybe, not Smyth, but the point stands). Lacombe is also my home town, so never nice to see your roots getting recognition for the wrong reasons.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #17
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
that's just you being a mindless oiler hater. Smyth wasn't a dirty rat by any means.
besides, this isn't the place for the comment, as you look like you're making a case why the cheap shot was "deserved".

Yeah, he was a total dirty rat. I watched him his entire career and he was most certainly dirty.

I don't condone the elbow to his head regardless.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #18
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
In-laws are close friends with Smyth's parents. Sounded pretty ugly. I know he likely has a target on his back due to name recognition, but pretty ridiculous that things like this happens in a league where most guys have to get up and go to work the next day (maybe, not Smyth, but the point stands). Lacombe is also my home town, so never nice to see your roots getting recognition for the wrong reasons.
If it makes you feel better, Sheen is from Calgary originally.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #19
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

Oh come on, he was proudly sneaky and dirty. It was a huge part of his game.

Not dirty in the sense of injuring guys and dishing out cheap shots, but he used all sorts of tricks to mess with goalies in particular because he lived in the crease.

"Dirty" might be overstating it, because he wasn't a vicious player, but he definitely skirted the rules, and that's dirty. Good for him though, now that he's gone. I wouldn't complain if a Flame was innocently tripping up a goalie or knocking his stick out of his hand and gaining a reputation as a national team stalwart at the same time.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #20
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Smyth was never dirty in the sense of Torres, Cooke etc. He was a rat in the way Tkachuk is and I don't think we around here have a problem with that. I hate the oilers with the best of them but Smyth was a beauty in his hay day. That little trick where he would bump the top of the goalies stick right before he got set was awesome. He knew what he was doing and was good at it.

Hope he's ok. Men's league hockey is field with some many wannabe's with such low self esteem you get #### like this all the time.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post: