Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2024, 08:28 AM   #181
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

At any rate, there is little chance of seeing any of the five charged in the NHL again. Even if found not guilty I can't see a GM wanting the controversy of signing a player forever linked to the 2018 Hockey Canada gang rape incident.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:37 AM   #182
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
People are blowing the media release WAY out of proportion. Was it a mis-step? Perhaps, but this is debatable, since we have no idea how this went down behind closed doors. At worst, this is an error that was prompted by a combination of the actual facts the Flames had in hand and were permitted, or obligated, to report, and nothing more. As such, people are understandably happy to move on, because in the grand scheme, this is an idiotic thing to complain about.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
It still merits discussion, and media sticking clear of the biggest hockey scandal in years are cowardly. There are multiple layers to all this: the incident itself, how it was handled by the powers that be, and if you zoom out, hockey culture more generally.

All three are important discussions.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:47 AM   #183
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
I'd like someone to apply the blowtorch to John Bean, who surely must've known every minute detail of this. His son was on the team, for ####'s sake.

#### he might as well have been in the room he likely knows so much about it

/green text

Dube... be mad at Dube.

rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:25 AM   #184
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
At any rate, there is little chance of seeing any of the five charged in the NHL again. Even if found not guilty I can't see a GM wanting the controversy of signing a player forever linked to the 2018 Hockey Canada gang rape incident.
Haaaave you met Ken?

spoilered for size
Spoiler!

Last edited by Buff; 02-01-2024 at 10:10 AM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:26 AM   #185
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno man, This is probably too hot for Ken. Plus I suspect he's gone after this season.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:34 AM   #186
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I think there are a couple things:
1) if there’s some evidence presented at the trial that paints any one of these guys in a reasonable light they stand a chance of being signed by some team. Ie: if he saw but didn’t stay vs being an active participant.
2) being away from a competitive sport for a couple years, especially as a bottom liner, probably doesn’t offer much hope to a bring your skills up to par to play again. So for Dube’s part, I think he’s cooked. His skills are going to be diminished if anything.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:39 AM   #187
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hart is the only one I could see resurfacing depending on what happens with the case.

If he's not in prison/charged then some goalie starved franchise will take a look, likely the Oilers.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:40 AM   #188
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

He's made $6.4 million to date so he shouldn't ever need to work again. That said, you are innocent until proven guilty and two years is a long time to be a pariah around the sport with no means of testing the charge against you.

Alex Formenton, for example, would be far less wealthy than Dube. It's a nuanced issue but not sure it's entirely fair that these players are unemployable in their chosen field for such a lengthy period.

Last edited by cam_calderon; 02-01-2024 at 09:43 AM.
cam_calderon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:09 AM   #189
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
People are blowing the media release WAY out of proportion. Was it a mis-step? Perhaps, but this is debatable, since we have no idea how this went down behind closed doors. At worst, this is an error that was prompted by a combination of the actual facts the Flames had in hand and were permitted, or obligated, to report, and nothing more. As such, people are understandably happy to move on, because in the grand scheme, this is an idiotic thing to complain about.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Didn't someone mention that the five were lawyered up and told not to speak to their teams about the incident. I would go as far as to say that the teams were probably given the same advice, since there would be legal ramifications. Well if this was true and when Dube approached management, It would imply the Flames simply couldn't ask Dube any questions. Dube, would have had to go to a doctor to request medical leave for mental issues. The Flames were likely just passing along the information that they received.

Dube was probably the only one out of the five who asked for medical leave, as he saw that was taken by Kylington.

I doubt the Flames fumbled anything; They were just passing on the information they received through a doctors form which is also legally binding.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 02-01-2024 at 10:14 AM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:13 AM   #190
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Didn't someone mention that the five were lawyered up and told not to speak to their teams about the incident. I would go as far as to say that the teams were probably given the same advice, since there would be legal ramifications. Well if this was true and when Dube approached management, It would imply the Flames simply couldn't ask Dube any questions. Dube, would have had to go to a doctor to request medical leave for mental issues. The Flames were likely just passing along the information that they received.

Dube was probably the only one out of the five who asked for medical leave, as he saw that was taken by Kylington.

I doubt the Flames fumbled anythey were just passing on the information they received through a doctors from which is also legally binding.
My take is that the fewer weasel words in a press statement, the more you can believe in the message. At this point to believe the Flames had some sort of knowledge of the upcoming charge and issued the initial press anyway, you'd then have to believe they would just out and out lie in the most recent press release.

In my experience companies fudge and dance around the truth a lot, but they usually don't say things in black and white unless they are true.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:23 AM   #191
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Even that statement was bizarre. Why do you need to clarify the organisation had no prior knowledge? That seemed really strange to me.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:28 AM   #192
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
My take is that the fewer weasel words in a press statement, the more you can believe in the message. At this point to believe the Flames had some sort of knowledge of the upcoming charge and issued the initial press anyway, you'd then have to believe they would just out and out lie in the most recent press release.

In my experience companies fudge and dance around the truth a lot, but they usually don't say things in black and white unless they are true.
Could be that they were just reporting what they received. Dube came to them requesting leave of absence for mental reasons, The other four, Would have just asked for leave of absence because they hadn't gone to see a Doctor about mental health issues. The Flames were just reporting what they received just like the other teams. Dube would have likely gotten this idea because that's how his teammate requested a valid leave of absence.

My guess is that the teams were just reporting what they received. The Flames not being able to ask any questions and just passed along what they received?
Old 02-01-2024, 10:29 AM   #193
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Even that statement was bizarre. Why do you need to clarify the organisation had no prior knowledge? That seemed really strange to me.

Cause the internets is MAD at the Flames for covering for Dube.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:32 AM   #194
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s semantics. They didn’t have official knowledge. Forget hockey, but from an employer/employee standpoint if a rumour around your office was that someone seen you steal from a convenience store a pack of chips, your employer may have heard about it through the grapevine and said, “it’s possible but I don’t have jurisdiction to do anything”. Same situation here. Businesses are out to make money no question, but I really don’t think they’d have willingly put egg on their face to stand up for a guy who means nothing to their brand, even before the charges, as a bottom liner.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:55 AM   #195
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Cause the internets is MAD at the Flames for covering for Dube.

The doctor has legal authority what could the Flames do? They could have lied and just said he was taking indefinite leave of absence , but at that point they would have needed a reason from Dube. If Dube had waited a few days longer he'd most likely would have requested the same leave of absences the other four because by then he would have been asked to submit at that point. People are mad because the Flames reported the message that they received from the doctor note. At that point, the Flames even admitted in a statement they didn't know about the pending charges. So Ironically the people are mad at the Flames for telling the truth. They didn't cover up anything they just relayed the doctors request.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 02-01-2024 at 10:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 11:00 AM   #196
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's made $6.4 million to date so he shouldn't ever need to work again. That said, you are innocent until proven guilty and two years is a long time to be a pariah around the sport with no means of testing the charge against you.

Alex Formenton, for example, would be far less wealthy than Dube. It's a nuanced issue but not sure it's entirely fair that these players are unemployable in their chosen field for such a lengthy period.
Leagues in Europe will still sign these guys. Those leagues have signed NA players with speculation of questionable conduct around them before and will again. They're trying to sell a product there without the best talent pool so they'll take the Edmonton route because it's in their best interest (whereas the Oilers do it because they're #####s).
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 11:04 AM   #197
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
The doctor has legal authority what could the Flames do? They could have lied and just said he was taking indefinite leave of absence , but at that point they would have needed a reason from Dube. If Dube had waited a few days longer he'd most likely would have requested the same leave of absences the other four because by then he would have been asked to submit at that point. People are mad because the Flames reported the message that they received from the doctor note. At that point, the Flames even admitted in a statement they didn't know about the pending charges. So Ironically the people are mad at the Flames for telling the truth. They didn't cover up anything they just relayed the doctors request.

I'm not mad at the Flames... guess I should have used green text lol.

But now I'm mad at the people that are mad at the Flames!!
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 11:52 AM   #198
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because lots of people people were publicly suggesting they did have prior knowledge and were covering for Dube.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 01:19 PM   #199
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Leagues in Europe will still sign these guys. Those leagues have signed NA players with speculation of questionable conduct around them before and will again. They're trying to sell a product there without the best talent pool so they'll take the Edmonton route because it's in their best interest (whereas the Oilers do it because they're #####s).
Roman Polanski is still making movies over there so
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote