Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2024, 09:33 AM   #2461
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
It’s Gaudreau.

It’s not a concern. I’m saying they are doing good work so let them make the call.
Then why two pages of suggesting there might be a problem?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 09:40 AM   #2462
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Then why two pages of suggesting there might be a problem?
I didn’t say it’s a problem. I kept saying let the scouts make the call they have shown they can find good players.

Only thing I’m adding is, just don’t make size sway you one way or another.

Like I’ve said before. It’s easy after the fact to pick and choose. Of course they should have taken Kucherov in the 2nd round when they liked him. It doesn’t work that way.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 09:45 AM   #2463
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I didn’t say it’s a problem. I kept saying let the scouts make the call they have shown they can find good players.

Like I’ve said before. It’s easy after the fact to pick and choose. Of course they should have taken Kucherov in the 2nd round when they liked him. It doesn’t work that way.
No you spent two pages suggesting there are problems based on what was selected two decades ago. You went to the effort of dismissing the size of the three recent draft picks, because they don't count as small.

All to conclude with saying they're doing a good job and there isn't a problem.

And you're wondering why I'm suggesting it's been a ride?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 09:53 AM   #2464
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A career 2 point player who was now a 40 point player ? That’s not really shooting up.

He wasn’t a good player and they took him because he was big. They wasted a draft pick.
2 to 40 isn’t shooting up?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 09:55 AM   #2465
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To what degree should size be factored in? At all?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 10:24 AM   #2466
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking back through the drafts, it becomes rather apparent quickly that the Flames do not prefer size above all. Last year's draft was the first in a very long time where every player was 6'0" and taller. I am not sure that was even by design, and it will take a few more drafts to see if this regime is preferring size, or if the past draft just ended up that way.

Also, I would like to add that there is a lot of consternation being shown for big players that bust. Where is the outrage at players like Phillips? Oh right - it seems to me that when a big player busts, it was a bad pick. When a small player busts, it is because he wasn't given the opportunity.

This isn't directed at anyone - not even Paulie. It is just something that I notice happens sometimes. I know I have read enough of "Hunter Smith and Keegan Kanzig terrible picks" and stuff like "Boyd not given a chance!, Baertschi not given a chance! Phillips not given a chance!".

Players bust. If you dive into each player at the time of the draft, they all had positives and they all had negatives aside from their size. Flames never drafted Kanzig and Smith ONLY because they were big. They just busted. Just like the small players did.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 10:26 AM   #2467
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
As Sandman said there no 6’4 plus top line players in the NHL and the same can be said I don’t see any 5’8 top line players.

It’s fine if you want to swing for them in later rounds. The smaller guys can develop into power play players and bigger guys as bottom line players who can hit and create havoc.

We should be really focused on skill and speed. Size becomes can issue as stated above m, but if a 6’6 player has those attributes I’d take them over a 5’8 player.

As for Hunter Smith yes 2-40 isn’t a huge jump it’s still only 40 points for an overage player. He still only had 2 career points up until that point.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:30 AM   #2468
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Looking back through the drafts, it becomes rather apparent quickly that the Flames do not prefer size above all. Last year's draft was the first in a very long time where every player was 6'0" and taller. I am not sure that was even by design, and it will take a few more drafts to see if this regime is preferring size, or if the past draft just ended up that way.

Also, I would like to add that there is a lot of consternation being shown for big players that bust. Where is the outrage at players like Phillips? Oh right - it seems to me that when a big player busts, it was a bad pick. When a small player busts, it is because he wasn't given the opportunity.

This isn't directed at anyone - not even Paulie. It is just something that I notice happens sometimes. I know I have read enough of "Hunter Smith and Keegan Kanzig terrible picks" and stuff like "Boyd not given a chance!, Baertschi not given a chance! Phillips not given a chance!".

Players bust. If you dive into each player at the time of the draft, they all had positives and they all had negatives aside from their size. Flames never drafted Kanzig and Smith ONLY because they were big. They just busted. Just like the small players did.
I don’t know if Phillips can be described as a bust he was a 6th round pick and long shot.

I personally value 2nd round picks and think they are premium picks. So taking a Hunter Smith in the 2nd round his a massive waste.

I think Boyd was actually decent for a 3rd rounder and he wasn’t small either.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:43 AM   #2469
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think once you get into the late 1st and 2nd territory it shouldn’t for forwards. All GMs basically want to select for size and most of the potential impact players that have it will go high in the draft.
I’m sure they exist but it feels like there are barely any steals for big forwards while there seems to be a smaller guy that is a steal every draft.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 10:44 AM   #2470
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m pretty excited about this 1st round for the Flames. As long as they don’t pick Silayev I don’t see how they can mess up their first pick.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft