Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #741
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went to the 2nd Edmonton show on the 30th, and apart from missing Poets, The Darkest One, and Little Bones, it might have been the perfect set list for me.

At the 100th Meridian - the first Hip song I ever heard...on 8 track
50 Mission Cap - the song I can't help belting out full octave every time I hear it
Fireworks - fun, peppy, up-tempo sorta love song
Ahead by a Century - defines a very important turning point in my life (for the better)
The Last Recluse - the most recent Hip song I've fallen in love with

Not to mention Wheat Kings, Scared, Bobcaygeon, Grace, Too, Greasy Jungle, New Orleans is Sinking, and Blow at High Dough.

Rexall almost collapsed into itself when they played Courage. It is all as surreal today as it was Saturday.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #742
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

The show on the 30th was missing 38 Years Old and Nautical Disaster for me, but I don't think those have been played this tour, so reviewing the set lists, it appears as though I went to the right concert for me by far.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #743
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
The show on the 30th was missing 38 Years Old and Nautical Disaster for me, but I don't think those have been played this tour, so reviewing the set lists, it appears as though I went to the right concert for me by far.
Last night at the opening for Scared they played the first couple of chords to Nautical Disaster.

I thought I dreamt it, but after speaking to some other people at the show, I believe it was the opening chords.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #744
beaver buzz
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Anyone get video of 'scared'? Of all the songs, no one's uploaded that one!
Here you go!

beaver buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to beaver buzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #745
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
8 track? You sure about that?
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #746
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I went to the 2nd Edmonton show on the 30th, and apart from missing Poets, The Darkest One, and Little Bones, it might have been the perfect set list for me.

50 Mission Cap - the song I can't help belting out full octave every time I hear it
Fireworks - fun, peppy, up-tempo sorta love song
Ahead by a Century - defines a very important turning point in my life (for the better)
The Last Recluse - the most recent Hip song I've fallen in love with

Not to mention Wheat Kings, Scared, Bobcaygeon, Grace, Too, Greasy Jungle, New Orleans is Sinking, and Blow at High Dough.

Rexall almost collapsed into itself when they played Courage. It is all as surreal today as it was Saturday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_e View Post
He means Cassette Tape, not 8 track

Quote:
Old 08-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #747
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

24 years ago . . .

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #748
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I'm still buzzing from last night, what an amazing experience. Just an amazing evening of Canadiana, love, nostalgia... I don't think another concert will make me feel that way again
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #749
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's been a couple of weeks since I saw the show but I relive it here every day when I read about all your experiences. It's the closest I can get to following the Hip across the country. Every setlist seems like the perfect one and I wish I could see them all. I can't foresee this tour leaving my memory anytime soon.

I am very grateful that CBC will air the final show.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #750
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wish people would have taken their cell phones last night and shoved them up their ass. Can people not enjoy anything anymore without spending the entire time on social media and posting stuff?

I don't mind a few pictures, but I had cameras in front of my face for the entire show obstructing my view.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #751
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I wish people would have taken their cell phones last night and shoved them up their ass. Can people not enjoy anything anymore without spending the entire time on social media and posting stuff?

I don't mind a few pictures, but I had cameras in front of my face for the entire show obstructing my view.
Big shock, you found something negative to complain about, at one of the most emotionally charged events I have ever seen.

You do realize that this is likely the last time they get to take such pictures and video?

This was a big deal to a lot of people, let them capture their memories...
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #752
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_e View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
He means Cassette Tape, not 8 track
No, I mean 8 track.

EDIT: As far as I remember, it wasn't a Tragically Hip (Fully Completely) 8 track tape, but a customized one my uncle gave me. I distinctly remember trying to skip to that song repeatedly on an old silver console 8 track player when I was but a wee lad.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 08-04-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #753
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
Big shock, you found something negative to complain about, at one of the most emotionally charged events I have ever seen.

You do realize that this is likely the last time they get to take such pictures and video?

This was a big deal to a lot of people, let them capture their memories...
There's taking videos and pictures which I fully understand, and then there's holding a camera in front of someone's face for 2.5 hours.

And if you read my post, I said posting status updated and videos to social media. This isn't for their own memories, it's a "I was here and have to make sure everyone knows about it" attempt.

I've probably been to 30+ Hip shows, and I would like to have created my own memories by being able to see the show. How about some respect for that?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #754
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This is interesting to me, I use to work at the dome as saw hundreds of shows. When smartphones became all the rage it was almost as if the entire building didn't watch the show, just taped the whole thing...Last night I commented to my wife how interesting it is that people arn't recording very much anymore likely due to how available everything is online. So I guess i'm saying i saw it different in that the vast majority were just taking it all in. Of course you probably had a bunch right in front of you!
Old 08-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #755
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
This is interesting to me, I use to work at the dome as saw hundreds of shows. When smartphones became all the rage it was almost as if the entire building didn't watch the show, just taped the whole thing...Last night I commented to my wife how interesting it is that people arn't recording very much anymore likely due to how available everything is online. So I guess i'm saying i saw it different in that the vast majority were just taking it all in. Of course you probably had a bunch right in front of you!
I was on the floor, and I had the entire row in front of me holding their cell phone above their heads (vertical landscape) incessantly for the entire show. I think it's a bigger issue on the floor because it's right in your line of view, whereas if you were in the bowl, you'd be looking down.

I actually gave my friend my second bowl tickets (227) to go down to the floor with another friend with his. I don't think i'd do that again. Unless you are the first couple of rows, the floor seats kind of suck.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #756
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I was on the floor, and I had the entire row in front of me holding their cell phone above their heads (vertical landscape) incessantly for the entire show. I think it's a bigger issue on the floor because it's right in your line of view, whereas if you were in the bowl, you'd be looking down.

I actually gave my friend my second bowl tickets (227) to go down to the floor with another friend with his. I don't think i'd do that again. Unless you are the first couple of rows, the floor seats kind of suck.
Yeah agree completely, anything behind row 10ish on the floor to me is not worth it. I love being perched up above the stage, but i'm also getting older and like my space.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #757
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, I mean 8 track.

EDIT: As far as I remember, it wasn't a Tragically Hip (Fully Completely) 8 track tape, but a customized one my uncle gave me. I distinctly remember trying to skip to that song repeatedly on an old silver console 8 track player when I was but a wee lad.
Wow, why would you uncle give you an 8 track when the tecchnology was near dead by the release of Fully Completely

Did he dislike you

Quote:
Old 08-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #758
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Wow, why would you uncle give you an 8 track when the tecchnology was near dead by the release of Fully Completely

Did he dislike you
As an 8 year old I imagine I was fascinated with the ancient relic staring at me in the basement.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 08-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #759
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As an 8 year old I imagine I was fascinated with the ancient relic staring at me in the basement.
I honestly had no idea that your could record on 8 tracks.

Today I learnt something.

Quote:
Old 08-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #760
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
There's taking videos and pictures which I fully understand, and then there's holding a camera in front of someone's face for 2.5 hours.

And if you read my post, I said posting status updated and videos to social media. This isn't for their own memories, it's a "I was here and have to make sure everyone knows about it" attempt.

I've probably been to 30+ Hip shows, and I would like to have created my own memories by being able to see the show. How about some respect for that?
Hard to argue that. Personally, I took three pictures, and maybe 60 seconds of video throughout. Just too much to take in.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote