Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2023, 05:38 PM   #1
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Wood Buffalo National Park

It’s a two-day drive so if any of you have traveled there there may only be a handful. I’ve been thinking of making this road trip - not this year.

We’re past the camping phase of our lives but there are cabins available. It’s Canada’s largest national park and either the second or fifth largest in the world - depending on the source (larger that the country of Switzerland). It houses the largest beaver dam in the world - visible from space. It has one of only two known whooping crane nesting sites and a massive bison population of 3,000 animals. It’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

I don’t know if I’m alone but I think this would be awesome - despite the distance. Has anyone here done the trip and have advice?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2023, 05:46 PM   #2
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Have not but will be following this thread!
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 07:10 AM   #3
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to live in Fort Smith, ‘the gateway to Wood Buffalo.” Road access is limited (IIRC, a single gravel loop that only penetrates into a fraction of the park). It does have an interpretive centre and a lookout with a nice vantage over salt flats. But I would temper your expectations. It’s very flat, boggy terrain. Not a lot to see on foot (better by canoe, but that brings its own difficulties). And bring bug dope. Lots of bug dope.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2023, 09:49 AM   #4
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
It’s a two-day drive so if any of you have traveled there there may only be a handful. I’ve been thinking of making this road trip - not this year.

We’re past the camping phase of our lives but there are cabins available. It’s Canada’s largest national park and either the second or fifth largest in the world - depending on the source (larger that the country of Switzerland). It houses the largest beaver dam in the world - visible from space. It has one of only two known whooping crane nesting sites and a massive bison population of 3,000 animals. It’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

I don’t know if I’m alone but I think this would be awesome - despite the distance. Has anyone here done the trip and have advice?

I've never been in the park, but I spent a little time in fort chip. it was one of the coolest things I have ever done.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2023, 01:41 PM   #5
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This from Alberta Prime News makes it sound really interesting.

Quote:
You might not know this, but Wood Buffalo National Park is actually the largest national park in Canada. This place spans 44,741 km² and crosses the Alberta-Northwest Territories border. To give you an idea of just how massive this park is, it is larger in area than Switzerland. Yes, the country! It’s the second-largest National Park in the world and the largest in the country, so you can only imagine how vast it really is.

While you will have to get yourself to the tip top of the province to experience it for yourself, it is so very worth it. Some notable features of this area are the facts that it has one of the largest herds of wood bison in the world, it’s a vital whooping crane habitat, and it is the world’s largest Dark Sky Reserve. If you love stargazing or catching glimpses of the Northern lights, there is literally no better place.

There are several options for camping in this region, both background and front. One great option is Pine Lake Campground, where there are also cabin rentals. Another option is Kettle Point Group Campsite. If you love camping, this is a great place to pitch your tent because gorgeous sights and endless activities surround you. Pine Lake Beach is an exquisite beach that is typically thawed and good for swimming by the end of June. It’s great for paddling, swimming, or just reading a book on the sand.

The extensive trail system throughout the park has tons of options if you want to hike, ranging from multi-day adventures to short day hikes. There are countless short little loops that we know you’ll love and that can be completed in just a short afternoon. If we had to recommend one, we’d suggest checking out Salt River Day Use Area Trails or the Salt Plains. The Salt Plains are breathtaking, a view you won’t soon forget.

So, what else can you do? Honestly, the list goes on forever. There is fishing, paddling, picnicking, wildlife viewing, boating, guided experiences, and so much more. The park is home to bears, wolves, moose, lynxes, marten, wolverines, foxes, beavers, hawks, eagles, cranes, owls, and more.

If you’re looking to unplug and immerse yourself in nature, look no further. This place is breathtaking in every way imaginable.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:

Tags
wood buffalo