Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #701
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand why they have to give a suspension for that, but I don't like

The argument that children shouldn't have to see that... if they were in the crowd they hear/see worse at every game

and the Fulham fans were giving it to him all game

as long as a player doesn't attack anyone in the stands I have no real problem with it
Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #702
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Agreed, but he has to know better than that. He has been a bit better of late with the diving and throwing tantrums, so I think he might be slowly starting to get it.

What a waste. That was pretty far from being a red and it really scuttled any chances of winning, but as Locke said, Liverpool had their chances and once again could not finish. CL hopes for next year are fading, but there's still time to go on a run.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #703
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Krack Korn View Post
Agreed, but he has to know better than that. He has been a bit better of late with the diving and throwing tantrums, so I think he might be slowly starting to get it.

What a waste. That was pretty far from being a red and it really scuttled any chances of winning, but as Locke said, Liverpool had their chances and once again could not finish. CL hopes for next year are fading, but there's still time to go on a run.
Ya it has to be very difficult to keep emotions in check when opposing fans treat you like garbage and throw coins at you. Nonetheless, he still needs to learn how to tune it all out and not have reactions like that. That is just part of being a professional athlete.

He has gotten better with the diving issue, and I think that is partly due to the fact that he has had almost no calls go in his favor over the past few weeks. Refs are on to him and not giving him the calls. So hopefully he starts fighting through more contact and trying to stay on his feet. That will make him a better player and restore his reputation.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #704
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Liverpool have been charged by the FA for failing to control their players after the Spearing sending off!

The FA are a complete joke of an organization. Where was the charge against Man U last week when they surrounded the ref in a much more intimidating fashion in the Newcastle match? Completely inconsistent or worse. After all Chelsea and Man U surround the ref in nearly every match and receive nothing.

Mind boggling.

Salt in wound is all I have to say.

edit: I read this comment on another site. Quite fitting I thought:

"Our player is sent off for tackling during a game and so the club is charged with failing to stop him making a tackle.

You just couldn't make it up."

Last edited by Jagger; 12-07-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #705
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Well, I shouldnt say that, Liverpool had every chance to win that game, its just wasteful and poor finishing. Again, still, however you want to look at it, they've just been wasting too many chances.
They did manage to score a perfectly good goal though, Locke, that was incorrectly ruled out for offside. They arguably should have had a pen or, at the very least, Fulham having a man sent off. The Spearing red was very very weak to say the least.

Yes they should have scored more but, I tell you, they simply are not getting the rub of the green right now, in any fashion.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #706
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Oh come on, that's a sign of affection in Uruguay!
Old 12-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #707
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
Liverpool have been charged by the FA for failing to control their players after the Spearing sending off!

The FA are a complete joke of an organization. Where was the charge against Man U last week when they surrounded the ref in a much more intimidating fashion in the Newcastle match? Completely inconsistent or worse. After all Chelsea and Man U surround the ref in nearly every match and receive nothing.

Mind boggling.

Salt in wound is all I have to say.

edit: I read this comment on another site. Quite fitting I thought:

"Our player is sent off for tackling during a game and so the club is charged with failing to stop him making a tackle.

You just couldn't make it up."
This is ridiculous! That tackle was clean, and the only reason it could have been a foul at all was because he had his foot up on the follow through. Most refs probably wouldn't have even called it a foul, but at most it deserved a yellow.

Did Chelsea get charged when Torres got his red? That tackle was WAY worse.

Edit: I misinterpreted your post. I thought the charge was for the tackle itself, but it is for the players reaction after the tackle. Still ridiculous.

Last edited by The Big Chill; 12-07-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #708
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post

Edit: I misinterpreted your post. I thought the charge was for the tackle itself, but it is for the players reaction after the tackle. Still ridiculous.
Exactly. The players reaction really wasn't that bad. They were upset because it was a really poor decision by the ref. Any team would have done the same thing. Other teams do it on a consistent basis, usually much worse, with no recourse against them. The Liverpool players and officials did not surround the ref at the end of the match even though a number of key decisions went against them. The charge is as bogus as they come.

Last edited by Jagger; 12-07-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #709
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh yeah, and I'm not condoning our Luiz's stupid reaction to the fans, far from it, but here is the inconsistency of the F.A. at work.

Two clear 'two fingered salutes' by high profile players that went unpunished:

edit:
And here's a good pic of the Man U players having a friendly chat with the nice officials. At the time of posting we are still waiting to hear whether any charge of improper conduct will be levied against Manchester United for failing to control their players.

Last edited by Jagger; 12-07-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #710
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a bad call and a stupid charge.

How are United not getting fined, after the Newcastle match they didnt shake hands or leave the pitch, the whole 11 just surrounded the match officials.

Way to go FA.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #711
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

"typical germans"

oh wait...
Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #712
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

It sure must be tough having the officials, FA, weather, and schedule makers all in a giant conspiracy against your club every season!
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #713
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
It sure must be tough having the officials, FA, weather, and schedule makers all in a giant conspiracy against your club every season!
Yeah, but what can you do? We get by....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #714
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ah that's alright. It's good to be downtrodden and the underdog all the time. Good for the siege mentality and all. Might not win anything but there's only so much you can do.

Now if we could only get one of our chief officials on the FA board then we might have a chance. At least he might be able to have the FA turn a blind eye to our obvious indiscretions on and off the pitch then. I believe another team has that avenue cornered though. Good for them. After all, they need all the help they can get.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #715
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
While I have no sympathy for the Scousers, I have to admit that they have a point when it comes to United and dissent. It is staggering the way that United players feel every call has to go their way and if it doesn't this justifies mobbing the ref to ensure immediate rectification. I know that team unity is important but the way they constantly chase down refs as a team is rather disgusting.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Old 12-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #716
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
While I have no sympathy for the Scousers, I have to admit that they have a point when it comes to United and dissent. It is staggering the way that United players feel every call has to go their way and if it doesn't this justifies mobbing the ref to ensure immediate rectification. I know that team unity is important but the way they constantly chase down refs as a team is rather disgusting.

I just wish they would do away with that stuff completely (as they claimed they were going to). I would be perfectly fine with Liverpool's punishment after the Spearing card if it was dealt with in the same manner in every situation.

It really isn't that hard to enforce either considering that there is always a captain on the field. Only the captain should be allowed to talk to the ref in that situation and everyone else should get a warning and/or a yellow card.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #717
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I just wish they would do away with that stuff completely (as they claimed they were going to). I would be perfectly fine with Liverpool's punishment after the Spearing card if it was dealt with in the same manner in every situation.

It really isn't that hard to enforce either considering that there is always a captain on the field. Only the captain should be allowed to talk to the ref in that situation and everyone else should get a warning and/or a yellow card.
I agree. I'm waiting for the day when, without warning, the ref just starts yellow carding every single player standing around him. They'd all leave in a hurry.

One ref, with support and the balls, does that and we see a serious change in how this game is officiated.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #718
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I for one would love to see it happen. Right now the refs in this game face too much pressure. Theres too much money at stake that every decision costs a team money.

Watching the Rugby World Cup I was so impressed at the officiating. Say one word to the ref and he takes you aside and reprimands you, then he penalizes you. That was spectacular. The respect the referee commands was great, in soccer the refs get walked all over.

Also, seeing reports that Vidic is out for the remainder of the season.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #719
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I agree. I'm waiting for the day when, without warning, the ref just starts yellow carding every single player standing around him. They'd all leave in a hurry.
In addition to crowding the ref, I'd also like to see shirt tugging and sexual harassment in the box be automatic yellows.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Old 12-09-2011, 03:08 AM   #720
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

All of this flies directly in the face of the FA's Respect campaign, which was supposed to stamp out abuse towards officials throughout all levels of the game. They seem very reluctant to act on their own policy when the top-flight Premier league teams are involved. Chelsea and Manchester Utd seem to be consistently the principle offenders.

In other news...

Man Utd confirm Nemanja Vidic will miss rest of season

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16079897.stm
Closed Thread