Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #141
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why exactly should the team president be under fire? The only move Burke can make as team president is to fire the GM and that's not going to happen and nor should it. You make it sound like you are expecting Burke to be making Treliving's decisions for him and that's not the case. I'm sure Brad consults him on decisions but ultimately the decisions are made by Treliving. I'm pretty confident in that if Burke had as much influence on the GM that Carlye and not Gulutzan would be the head coach of the Flames right now. I don't think Gulutzan is the type of guy that Burke would have even interviewed. This is Brad Treliving's team for better or worse as blaming Burke for what has transpired this young season is silly.
Burke should be under fire as well because he's the one who hired Treliving, therefore if he preforms poorly as GM it reflects badly on Burke as well.

It's been mentioned before that Burke never interviewed anybody else for the job, he met with Treliving and gave him the job. I honestly don't know who else would've been available, but it does seem kind of weird to only interview one candidate for a very important position such as GM.
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:29 AM   #142
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum_PI View Post
It's been mentioned before that Burke never interviewed anybody else for the job,
As they say on Wikipedia:

*citation needed
Old 10-25-2016, 06:29 AM   #143
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

After the Cup clinching game in Montreal, Treliving to Gulutzan, "and to think if you lost that game in Chicago the week before Halloween, I was going to fire your ass. Haha.'

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 07:03 AM   #144
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post

*citation needed
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...eneral-manager

Quote:
"Make no mistake about it folks, Brad is the general manager of this team, effective right now," Burke said, adding that Treliving was the only candidate the Flames interviewed.
It's mentioned in every article man.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 08:32 AM   #145
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post

*citation needed
Quote:
Brian Burke, brought in as the Flames’ president of hockey operations last September, announced Treliving’s hiring at a press conference Monday. Treliving replaces Jay Feaster, who was fired as the team’s general manager back in December. According to Burke, Treliving was the only candidate who was interviewed for the job, and he will receive full autonomy to run the team as he sees fit. Burke will act as mentor and sounding board, and the two anticipate a collaborative relationship.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle18300124/

Quote:
"Make no mistake about it folks, Brad is the general manager of this team, effective right now," Burke said, adding that Treliving was the only candidate the Flames interviewed.
http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2014/...l-manager.html

Quote:
Treliving, a native of Penticton, B.C., and the only candidate Burke interviewed for the role, had spent the previous seven seasons as the assistant GM for the Coyotes. He was responsible for the day-to-day operations of Phoenix's hockey operations department and served as GM of the Coyotes' American Hockey League affiliate, the Portland Pirates.
https://www.nhl.com/news/flames-name...nager/c-716880

Quote:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...s-gm-1.2624323
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #146
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

All of which is incredibly irrelevant. When you have access to every candidate's on the job results and references, interviews seem almost pointless
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:24 AM   #147
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burke has mentioned that multiple times as well.

That he doesn't interview candidates - that his interviews take place over multiple years through his day to day discussion with people all across the hockey industry.

I still like the Treliving hire and think his work has been great so far.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:35 AM   #148
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

In a lot of ways, traditional job interviews are pointless. The only thing you can really tell from them is how well the person can handle an interview which depending on the type of position, might not matter that much.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #149
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just remember, calling for everyone's heads after 6 games is about as bad as this:

and this:

and this:

Keep it together folks, it's been 6 games and the team is trying to learn an entire new system. Is it frustrating? Hell yes, but at least give the guys 10-15 games to make something happen. Short term pain for long term gain.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #150
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Panicky Thread is Panicky.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #151
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Old 10-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #152
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

I'm still unclear on what Treliving has done to hurt this team? I know what he's done to help. But what has he really done to hurt this club?

Gio around the time of his new deal, if not injured would have been a Norris Candidate and had been in the convo for a couple years.

Sure the Goalie situation but who could have predicted it being THAT bad.. the monacher of "creates more competition " is usually viewed as a good thing.

Hartley? Sure we can point fingers but many GM's like to bring in their own guy, this is nothing new.

The GG hire? 6 games in. I don't like GG mannerisms, but that doesn't mean he's a bad coach. Too early to fire him and those who think he needs to go now.. find another bandwagon cause this is going to be a bumpy ride for a bit... it's the nature of the beast.

Oh and last nights game is a result of players actually giving a damn and playing hard, not a change in GG's system.

Things could be a lot worse. As flames fans, those calling for heads should know better.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #153
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok. Grossman over Kevin is firing worthy. Does he have eyes? Can he not think? Seriously wtf
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:13 AM   #154
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
I'm still unclear on what Treliving has done to hurt this team? I know what he's done to help. But what has he really done to hurt this club?

Gio around the time of his new deal, if not injured would have been a Norris Candidate and had been in the convo for a couple years.

Sure the Goalie situation but who could have predicted it being THAT bad.. the monacher of "creates more competition " is usually viewed as a good thing.

Hartley? Sure we can point fingers but many GM's like to bring in their own guy, this is nothing new.

The GG hire? 6 games in. I don't like GG mannerisms, but that doesn't mean he's a bad coach. Too early to fire him and those who think he needs to go now.. find another bandwagon cause this is going to be a bumpy ride for a bit... it's the nature of the beast.

Oh and last nights game is a result of players actually giving a damn and playing hard, not a change in GG's system.

Things could be a lot worse. As flames fans, those calling for heads should know better.
Only major thing I imagine people will bring up is the "3 headed goalie monster" and how he didn't do more to address the position in the middle of the season.

* Ramo and Hiller were adequate, perhaps slightly above in 2013-14 year as a tandem considering the haphazard defense the Flames continued to have after 2014. If anything resigning Ramo was probably for the best considering he was the best goalie until his injury. He missed out on moving Hiller or picking somebody like Neuvirth (I believe him and somebody else IIRC) but it always takes two parties to be interested to make a signing/trade.
* I think you could say Ortio was mishandled to a degree, having to sit behind Hiller and Ramo again despite a strong performance in January 2014. Problem is, he was granted a couple golden opportunities later in the season to give the team AVERAGE goaltending and failed to do that. His AHL performance wasn't too great during that time IIRC.
* Don't know how many Bandaid solutions Treliving would be interested in considering he would have likely paid the same amount for Elliot for an even less experienced/proven goalie. One that would have likely not stayed after the season. With Treliving continuing to preach patience in his methods, I don't think he would be interested in knee jerk reactions like the fanbase would have wanted especially since he had an opportunity to wipe the slate clean with expiring contracts and teams in transition periods (Pittsburgh, Tampa, St. Louis)

Tl;dr 3 separate goalies couldn't perform (something something blame the coach), Treliving didn't panic and overpay for a mediocre stop gap.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:17 AM   #155
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Ok. Grossman over Kevin is firing worthy. Does he have eyes? Can he not think? Seriously wtf
Sure the Grossman signing is a bit confusing but those who take issue with it, have they had a chance to ask Brad why he brought him in?

I'm sure there's a reason why and just as much of a reason as to why he hasn't been placed on waivers. Clearly, the guy with more experience than everyone who's posted on this thread seen something that he thought would be useful.

I would have rather seen a different approach as well, but wtf do I know?..

It's not like we are stuck with Grossman and a NMC for years... it's 1 year, league minimum. That's called a no risk signing, especially when you can simply waive said player..

But Brad should be crucified for that? Cmon..
Old 10-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #156
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Only major thing I imagine people will bring up is the "3 headed goalie monster" and how he didn't do more to address the position in the middle of the season.

* Ramo and Hiller were adequate, perhaps slightly above in 2013-14 year as a tandem considering the haphazard defense the Flames continued to have after 2014. If anything resigning Ramo was probably for the best considering he was the best goalie until his injury. He missed out on moving Hiller or picking somebody like Neuvirth (I believe him and somebody else IIRC) but it always takes two parties to be interested to make a signing/trade.
* I think you could say Ortio was mishandled to a degree, having to sit behind Hiller and Ramo again despite a strong performance in January 2014. Problem is, he was granted a couple golden opportunities later in the season to give the team AVERAGE goaltending and failed to do that. His AHL performance wasn't too great during that time IIRC.
* Don't know how many Bandaid solutions Treliving would be interested in considering he would have likely paid the same amount for Elliot for an even less experienced/proven goalie. One that would have likely not stayed after the season. With Treliving continuing to preach patience in his methods, I don't think he would be interested in knee jerk reactions like the fanbase would have wanted especially since he had an opportunity to wipe the slate clean with expiring contracts and teams in transition periods (Pittsburgh, Tampa, St. Louis)

Tl;dr 3 separate goalies couldn't perform (something something blame the coach), Treliving didn't panic and overpay for a mediocre stop gap.
I'm not going to spend the day defending BT. I think this discussion is really silly.

As for the topic of the 3 headed monster.. those who are having issue are not looking at the situation in its entirety, they're picking parts to suit their narrative.

Hiller was under contract and no one wanted him.

Ortio had shown glimpses of taking the next step.

Ramo had been the most consistent of all 3.

Hindsight being great and all, the thought was that the 3 would come in and 2 would be left standing... ya know, that competition thing I mentioned?

Before this ugly situation, I had never seen anyone baulk(sp?) at competition for a position in sport.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 10:34 AM   #157
bigdl
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Sure the Grossman signing is a bit confusing but those who take issue with it, have they had a chance to ask Brad why he brought him in?

I'm sure there's a reason why and just as much of a reason as to why he hasn't been placed on waivers. Clearly, the guy with more experience than everyone who's posted on this thread seen something that he thought would be useful.

I would have rather seen a different approach as well, but wtf do I know?..

It's not like we are stuck with Grossman and a NMC for years... it's 1 year, league minimum. That's called a no risk signing, especially when you can simply waive said player..

But Brad should be crucified for that? Cmon..
He was signed such that it would fill our cap exactly to give us the maximum amount of relief from Smid's contract.

http://flamesnation.ca/2016/10/13/wh...klas-grossmann
bigdl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigdl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #158
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdl View Post
He was signed such that it would fill our cap exactly to give us the maximum amount of relief from Smid's contract.

http://flamesnation.ca/2016/10/13/wh...klas-grossmann
I'm sorry, those FACTS don't fit this thread's narrative.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #159
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Bob used an approach of positive reinforcement and a never say die attitude. I can see why that was more effective in motivating the guys and keeping them upbeat, as opposed to x and o's coaches that are quick to bench guys and don't have the same charisma going for them.

Lol source? Everything I read stated that Bob didn't give a #### about the players well being, would call people out for being weak and afraid, and would yell all the time.

Putting pressure on the players work for only so long, after you lose their ear, you're worthless to the team. I assume that's what happened with Bob and why he had to go. Can't do much if you can't get your players to listen to you.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:44 PM   #160
Alpine Fisher
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I want the Flames to win for the rest of the year and make playoffs. Not cheerleading the firing of the coach. I hope he surprises me. But not optimistic.
Elliot was the one who won the flames their last game, not coaching.
Alpine Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote