Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #201
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dumb Thread is Dumb.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #202
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Can you cite some trades involving 33 year old defencemen with five years left at $6.75 mil? Or 34 year old defencemen with four years left at $6.75? Or 35 year old defencemen with three years left at $6.75?
Different player for sure but Chris Probger comes to mind immediately. And I wouldn't even look at the same return as he got.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #203
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
That's not how it works. Treliving is supposed to do moves that work not just moves that media and fans like. If this team is regressing than Tre is on the hot seat, regardless of what people thought of the moves at the time.
No for sure, if the team undergoes a massive regression then BT should feel some heat. He should be feeling pressure (and I'm 100% he is) for the GG hire whcih so far looks terrible. But the season is two weeks old and GM's need to get judged on longer period intervals than any other part of the hockey team IMO.

I'm mostly cracking back at the multiple pages of GMs in waiting that clearly knew what the right moves to make were. Internet revisionist history at its best.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #204
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanStrandedInEDM View Post
I have always found he had the arrogance of a much more experienced General Manager.

I was disappointed that they didn't re-sign both Colborne and Nak at the reasonable salaries they would demand.

His pride is his biggest flaw, his need to "Win" every negotiation has lead to decent, affordable, serviceable, NHL players walking out the door.

These are not players begging for work, they will and have found work elsewhere, so they "Well that's my final offer, take it or leave it" doesn't really hold much clout.
You don't know if his pride is affecting anything at all. In fact, I took it as Colborne's pride was hurt during those negotiations. Treliving came out and hinted that the Flames' offer was higher than what Colborne took in Colorado.

I was all for re-signing Colborne, as I think he was a developing player, even considering his age. He seemed to finally start taking big steps with regards to using his body, and was becoming a sorely-lacking net-front presence for the team. I was hugely disappointed that he wasn't re-signed, but at the same time, I can't pin the blame on Treliving as I have no idea what went on during those negotiations. If Colborne did indeed take less to play in Colorado than in Calgary leads me to believe that Treliving had a firm and fair price in his mind, and that Colborne's pride was what got in the way on that one.

With Nakladal, I just saw it as him blinking first. Treliving was not going to sign any more free agents - especially of the depth variety - until Gaudreau was re-signed and they could figure out how much they had left over. That is probably why the only contract offered was the 2-way. Had he waited a few more days, I bet it was Nakladal that would have been re-signed, rather than Grossman.

Let's say you are right, and his pride is indeed getting in the way - that's ok too. I would rather the Flames lock-up their top talent to decent contracts, and let everyone else go and replace them with cheaper contracts. That is really the landscape of the NHL now. Serviceable means they can do the job at a cheap (or cheaper) cap hit. You get into big trouble over-paying for bottom 6 forwards and bottom pair defencemen.

I wish Colborne was on the team, but I don't know what that price point was. It was higher than Colorado's price.

I really wish Byron was on this team - he was a great PK'er and checking player, and I think he would have been doing really well on the Backlund and Frolik line, and I think losing him was Treliving's biggest error so far (or the Raymond signing). It is still not something you sweat over either.

No GM is perfect. Even at the height of "Trust in Sutter" years, he still let Lydman go, and passed on Stralman.

Go to a Detroit forum, and fans are extremely fed up with Holland.

I look at Treliving's body of work, and I can't say it is perfect (it most certainly is not) but it is definitely more positive than it is negative.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 10:44 AM   #205
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Look at all the Holly Hindsights here.

People hated Colborne when he was here, BT let him go and now that was huge mistake.
People loved Ortio so much they ranked him as the 3rd best propsect on the Flames and wouldn't have exposed him to waivers at any cost. But now this bizarre idea that the "three headed goalie" monster sunk last years season is all on BT even though most of you would've done the same thing.
Gio contract was met with near unanimous approval but now it's an anchor.
FFS, Hartley took a tonne of heat here too, but now that the team came out slow he's freaking Quenneville or something.

It's amazing how obivous moves seem to be 3 months, 6 months, 1 year out from when they were made. Too bad that's not how life works
No it wasn't. There was a lot of fanboy cheer-leading but a significant amount that it was a lots of money and term for a 33 year old d-man.

[News] Mark Giordano Extension Done! 6 years, $40.5 million ($6.75 million AAV)
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:33 AM   #206
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do you hold a GM accountable for mistakes without firing them?

I don't know the answer, but i'd like to know there are some discussions occurring.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #207
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan403 View Post
Dumb Thread is Dumb.
Agreed. Going into the season, every pundit, fan and analyst believed this team was assembled the right way. Perhaps the only missing piece was a really good top line RW.

Why should Treliving take heat for that?

The players and coaching staff need to be taking heat, and they are.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #208
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Agreed. Going into the season, every pundit, fan and analyst believed this team was assembled the right way. Perhaps the only missing piece was a really good top line RW.

Who put together this roster and hired the coaching staff? Treliving should definitely be on the hot seat if the team continues to play poorly, he said he expected the team to compete for a playoff spot this year.
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #209
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

So I guess it depends on whether or not you think the Flames are just a cruddy hockey team, or a hockey team that is better than they are playing.
If one believes the former, then yes, it is on the GM.

I believe that organizations that struggle consistently do so, in part, due to the fact that there isn't consistency at the top. GMs don't have the opportunity to build a team over the long-term. They are hired and fired too quickly.

Personally, I think BT is a good hockey mind, a hard worker and leaves no stone un-turned. I don't want to see him swapped out for some other guy and then we are starting from square 1 again.

Consistency please.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #210
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

I believe they are better then how they are playing but also believe they are young and are still rebuilding.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #211
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
I believe they are better then how they are playing but also believe they are young and are still rebuilding.
We are a cap team and year 4 in the rebuild. Yes they're some young pieces but I doubt Treliving thought we would be this bad.

Last edited by locsofblu; 11-07-2016 at 09:34 AM.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #212
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
We are a cap team.

Which says it all. However with Smid, Wideman, Engelland, Versteeg, Grossman and Bollig all gone for next year we have some room. Elliott and Bennett may take some of that space. However we are not a team who is ready to compete clearly.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #213
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

You can't have one without the other.
The GM is responsible for the players and coaching staff we have. If something it lacking there, it's the GM who played a large part in it.

Having said that, I personally think Treliving has done more good then bad. This coaching hire was and is a mess though, and he deserves the heat for that.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #214
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Which says it all. However with Smid, Wideman, Engelland, Versteeg, Grossman and Bollig all gone for next year we have some room. Elliott and Bennett may take some of that space. However we are not a team who is ready to compete clearly.
This is true. Hopefully we can spend the money wisely on actually useful pieces. I like Treliving as Gm but I'm not 100% he has the hockey knowledge to make us a contender. Time will tell.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #215
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

April 28, 2014
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #216
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
How do you hold a GM accountable for mistakes without firing them?

I don't know the answer, but i'd like to know there are some discussions occurring.
Loss of autonomy. If we assume Gulutzan's hire is all Treliving, then we can be certain that Burke and others will play a significant role in hiring the next coach once the team decides on putting a bad mistake in the past. That is not often a good thing - too many cooks - but hard to argue it could be worse at this point.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #217
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Flames fans are going through what Oiler fans went through for the last couple years. Expectation went up too quickly as we started to develop some young talent. Most people said this was going to be a 5 year rebuild and the Flames are now in that spot where on paper we look a lot better but really we don't stack up against the best teams yet. I said before the season I believed this would be the last year of the rebuild and I'm sticking with that. IMO there is too much wasted cap space at this point to expect big things and guys like Bennett and Tkachuk are way to young to expect big production.

Next year if things aren't working I would think BT would start to take some heat. Too early to blame him and there are still a ton of positives with the team and its future. Stockton's play along with Tkachuk's play should have flames fans excited. Gaudreau and Monahan will get going soon. Bennett has stepped up a bit this year as well. It's part of the process not every young player scores 70 points before they hit 22
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #218
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Loss of autonomy. If we assume Gulutzan's hire is all Treliving, then we can be certain that Burke and others will play a significant role in hiring the next coach once the team decides on putting a bad mistake in the past. That is not often a good thing - too many cooks - but hard to argue it could be worse at this point.
I don't think there's a need for Burke or ownership to step in and influence the hiring of the next coach. If Gulutzan doesn't work out it's something Treliving should learn from for the next hiring. The one year contract thing for Gulutzan is a little puzzling though. If you don't have the confidence to at least provide your new coach with a multiple year deal is that a sign he may not be the guy? Maybe Gulutzan got the job because his sales pitch was that he would take a one year deal show me deal to prove he would be worth a longer commitment after the first season? Either way I suppose it's a plus the GM could get a new head coach to sign on for a one year deal.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #219
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

75% of the league are within a few M of the cap...the only ones that aren't somewhat close have internal budgets due to location

If the Flames didn't have Wideman...who isn't even playing every day and Smid on LTIR though would be in the lower third cap wise

Canucks are a "cap team" as are the Leafs, sabres, heck the Oilers have 3m and change with tons of guys on entry level deals

Last edited by dino7c; 11-07-2016 at 12:56 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2016, 01:22 PM   #220
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm still on the fence WRT Treliving (which is rare as I'm a right pessimistic git) but one move I would like to give him credit for is the Frolik signing.

I didn't love it at the time but it looks like a great bit of business now.

You could put me out there with Frolik and Backlund and the puck would keep moving North.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote