Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2016, 10:52 PM   #21
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ima repost this from the game thread:

Johnny's problem is that he has no reputation to rip a shot. Everyone knows he's gonna diddle around the net and look for a pass to an already covered somebody. He's in love with his own finesse. I'd make him watch Bossy videos for a week.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:58 PM   #22
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Remember when Friedman said that Calgary might be the best team in Canada before the first game of the season? Bet he regrets making that prediction
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:01 PM   #23
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
Ima repost this from the game thread:

Johnny's problem is that he has no reputation to rip a shot. Everyone knows he's gonna diddle around the net and look for a pass to an already covered somebody. He's in love with his own finesse. I'd make him watch Bossy videos for a week.
who's he going to pass to? nobody on this team can shoot a puck, so opposing coaches know that they can send two guys to cover gaudreau, because even if he gets a pass off, the recipient won't do anything with it. nobody is dangerous except for JG.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:04 PM   #24
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ya, my point was about Johnny shooting the puck. Do you know who Mike Bossy is?
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:11 PM   #25
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
Ya, my point was about Johnny shooting the puck. Do you know who Mike Bossy is?
sorry i went way off topic, but i do agree that JG needs to become a better shooting threat.

I'm trying to say how he's not getting any time and space because the opposing team doesn't have to respect any of the other flames players out on the ice. nobody is dangerous except johnny
Old 10-23-2016, 12:04 AM   #26
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:09 AM   #27
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The constant shuffling of line combinations suggest chemistry is sorely lacking on this team.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:16 AM   #28
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan needs to play harder, move his feet and use his body to gain/keep possession and free up space for Johnny. I can't think of a softer 1st line center in the league.... anyone else think of one?
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2016, 12:18 AM   #29
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Monahan needs to play harder, move his feet and use his body to gain/keep possession and free up space for Johnny. I can't think of a softer 1st line center in the league.... anyone else think of one?
Henrik Sedin would give him a run for his money but it's close.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:18 AM   #30
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

1. Dougie Hamilton
2. Sean Monahan
3. Brian Elliott
4. TJ Brodie
5. Sam Bennnet

I don't have Gaudreau on the list as I blame Monahan for contributing nothing to their line at this point

Backlund, Frolik, Johnson, Kulak, Brouwer, Jokipakka have all been good. But you can't expect your back up goalie and 3rd line to carry your team
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:20 AM   #31
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Henrik Sedin would give him a run for his money but it's close.
But Sedin is strong on the puck and can cycle like a Mofo .

Last edited by Samonadreau; 10-23-2016 at 12:24 AM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:27 AM   #32
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Monahan can't even manage the Joe Colborne gentle bump. He's scared of his own shadow.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:28 AM   #33
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Ev2.0.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:37 AM   #34
Alpine Fisher
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ever since he grew the flow, he hasn't been the same.

As a hockey player myself, I am superstitious. I would cut the hair.
Alpine Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:47 AM   #35
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the past two and a half weeks, I have been suffering from the worst flu in my life. It's been horrible, especially when I attempt to do anything physical.

The reason I mention this, is that if the Flames happen to have the same flu bug running through the team, which is not entirely out of the realm of possibility, it would go a long way to explain why they look like they are having difficulty skating.

That is about the only thing I can think of as a plausible excuse to explain their on ice play.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:52 AM   #36
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
For the past two and a half weeks, I have been suffering from the worst flu in my life. It's been horrible, especially when I attempt to do anything physical.

The reason I mention this, is that if the Flames happen to have the same flu bug running through the team, which is not entirely out of the realm of possibility, it would go a long way to explain why they look like they are having difficulty skating.

That is about the only thing I can think of as a plausible excuse to explain their on ice play.
I honestly hope you are right, but usually when that happens it gets out in the media. I've heard nothing.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:53 AM   #37
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Team not playing to their strengths, say what you want about bob, his system obviously wasn't conventional and his analytical numbers were not great but he used a system that played to this teams strength. This team just doesn't seem suited for the system GG is trying to implement. Not to mention the players seem to have no cohesion
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:03 AM   #38
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly think the biggest problem right now is the powerplay.

Even after having an awful game tonight, the team had a chance to tie it and take at least one point. If the powerplay wasn't the worst I've ever seen as a Flames fan, maybe that would have been possible. Hell, one powerplay goal tonight and one last Saturday, and this might be a completely different season.

But beyond the direct impact on the score, I believe a strong powerplay not only helps build momentum for a team, but more importantly, helps build individual player confidence.

With a new coach and a new system, every player is still learning. There are growing pains, but even a bad team can have great special teams, and vice versa. So when a team is still a little lost on the system side of things, the powerplay can actually help players succeed individually.

With players are already gripping their sticks a tightly under a new coach, an anemic powerplay simply exacerbates the problem further. Players are gripping their sticks even tighter, have less confidence in the system, and have less confidence in their own skills.

I'm not saying Gulutzan is Pat Burns, but I honestly believe this issue has snowballed into the perfect storm against the Flames.

Last edited by Ashasx; 10-23-2016 at 01:52 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2016, 01:19 AM   #39
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

The problem is the powerplay, penalty kill, even strength, defensive turnovers, neutral zone turnovers, offensive... you get the point. I would love to say just fire the coach, but I don't see anyone else out there who could salvage this team right now. I say ride it out until a good coach becomes available... something we should have made sure we had lined up before we fired Hartley.
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:58 AM   #40
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It feels like they have no urgency. Dougie Brodie and Monahan fight the puck every night. Johhny gets crushed now and throws the puck away all the time

Also they are constantly in the box cuz they get caught a lot. I wonder where the flames rank for breakaways against this year

Just a total mess. I don't even think system can be judged yet cuz they are all playing so terrible
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote