Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 12:54 AM   #921
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Yep. Unfortunately he's the type of player UFA's want to play with. You can deny that but I can point to Lucic. The guy flew to Edmonton in a McDavid shirt. McDavid attracts players. The next 10 years are going to be nauseating.
Very few teams (maybe one other) were giving Lucic that money/term...besides they won't have the cap space for UFAs

Flames have been terrible some don't think I am comparing them but the Oilers haven't looked all that great either. They have been outplayed in nearly every game this season and their schedule has been super easy.

Lets see how things look in November before saying how competitive they are
Old 10-24-2016, 01:24 AM   #922
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Very few teams (maybe one other) were giving Lucic that money/term...besides they won't have the cap space for UFAs

Flames have been terrible some don't think I am comparing them but the Oilers haven't looked all that great either. They have been outplayed in nearly every game this season and their schedule has been super easy.

Lets see how things look in November before saying how competitive they are
I agree with you, just pointing out that McDavid is attractive to UFA's. Their schedule has been very easy.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:33 AM   #923
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone think the Hawks are a bottom feeder team? No. Does anyone think the Oilers are a top team? No.

The universe will, uh, find a way. Everything will be alright.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #924
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watch them just miss the playoffs and then win the lottery again.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #925
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Just wait for the injuries to occur

That's often one of the things that gets the Oilers
It's the suck that gets them every year, not injuries. "Injuries" is just the excuse they peddle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #926
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
It's the suck that gets them every year, not injuries. "Injuries" is just the excuse they peddle.
"The Suck."

Its like the Oilers' 'Evil Dead.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-25-2016, 08:39 AM   #927
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bump. Can't let you fall to the second page.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #928
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Too early to say for sure, but they actually look like a decent hockey team right now. That said, they've had a terribly easy schedule thus far aside St. Louis. Calgary twice, Carolina, Winnipeg, and Buffalo. I wouldn't get too worried yet.
This team has been a dumpster fire for a decade. There's no such thing as easy games on the Oilers schedule.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #929
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
This team has been a dumpster fire for a decade. There's no such thing as easy games on the Oilers schedule.
that is why they have been outplayed for large stretches of most of those games

Talbot first star of the week, good for him...don't think he can keep bailing them out though
Old 10-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #930
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

The October standings really mean little. Some of us have forgotten a few years ago when the Oilers were #1 in the league towards the end of October (IIRC - maybe even the start of November), and there were whispers of "this team has turned the corner". I can't quite remember if they ended up finishing dead last in the league or not, but 7th is the highest that team has finished in quite a long while.

I will wait until the end of November to even start thinking that the Oilers have turned the corner, or even that Montreal is 'for realsies' this time. I make the bold prediction that every month brings the Oilers down in the standings. I know, I know.. crazy talk...
Old 10-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #931
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
that is why they have been outplayed for large stretches of most of those games

Talbot first star of the week, good for him...don't think he can keep bailing them out though
They really haven't. Outplayed Winnipeg. Got outplayed by STL. Outplayed Carolina, outside of sitting back in the 3rd having a 3 goal lead. In the last 3 games.

Last edited by Weitz; 10-25-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #932
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
They really haven't. Outplayed Winnipeg. Got outplayed by STL. Outplayed Carolina, outside of sitting back in the 3rd having a 3 goal lead. In the last 3 games.
Don't agree about St. Louis. The Oilers were outshot but had the better quality chances overall, especially in the third period - Allen kept the score from being worse.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #933
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't agree about St. Louis. The Oilers were outshot but had the better quality chances overall, especially in the third period - Allen kept the score from being worse.
I thought it was pretty even but gave the tie to STL for having more shots.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #934
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep telling yourselves that...Calgary had what 22 shots one PERIOD?

this is gonna be glorious

Oilers had a nice start with no pressure, I mean coming in 10th place in the west will be considered a success for them so. Lets wait and see, please Oilers fans keep posting the standings on facebook
Old 10-25-2016, 12:31 PM   #935
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers PDO is 1.050. A good PDO of the best teams at the end of a season is 1.020. The difference between the best PDO and the oilers currently is 3 goals per 100 shots. So a goal a game better than then the high end sustainable value.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #936
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Oilers PDO is 1.050. A good PDO of the best teams at the end of a season is 1.020. The difference between the best PDO and the oilers currently is 3 goals per 100 shots. So a goal a game better than then the high end sustainable value.
Wait...so you're saying the Oilers, a team that have been the model of consistency for the past decade are....and I really want to enjoy this...Unsustainable?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #937
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

After a decade of misery, as an Oilers fan you'd have to be a fool not to at least try and enjoy this. That being said, I'm not truly getting excited until Christmas rolls around and they're still over .500 and playing respectable hockey. At that point I'll start to take it more seriously. Until then, it's a novelty to be enjoyed.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #938
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
After a decade of misery, as an Oilers fan you'd have to be a fool not to at least try and enjoy this. That being said, I'm not truly getting excited until Christmas rolls around and they're still over .500 and playing respectable hockey. At that point I'll start to take it more seriously. Until then, it's a novelty to be enjoyed.
Enjoying it is fine.

Posting about it with a gloating / frothing-at-the-mouth tone is not.

(not saying you).

But that's the problem with most Oiler fans. The Failure and accompanying shame is so ever-present that every July / August or ten game stretch in the regular season that looks good, they come out in droves e-beating their chests with that see-I-told-you overtone.

Outside of being absolutely gifted a generational player as a reward for monumental ineptitude, it's still a terribly flawed team run by even more flawed management / owners.

If I was an Oiler fan, I'd be nothing but quiet until (one day) the playoffs are actually clinched. And even then, you'd think the decade of shame would have been humbling enough they'd remain in check. But nope. No-good-ery is in their DNA.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #939
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
you mean the Oilers aren't gonna keep playing at an .833 win% clip??

shocking revelation that is
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlbertaOiler72 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #940
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I cant blame you at all. Of course enjoy it.

Closed Thread