Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:
Default Embarassing player encounters

Any good/bad ones?

At a recent Puckers game I was suspended and watching the game form the side of the rink, and a fight broke out right in my corner. Buddy from the other team jumped a guy on the Puckers. Then a couple seconds later a player from the Puckers bench reached out and and grabbed a guy as he was skating buy, and a huge melee ensued.

I ran up and started screaming every swear word ever invented at the other team and the refs....like I mean an absolute tirade. I then turned around to see a guy and little kid watching just 3 feet away from me...

me: Oh geez man, I'm so sorry, I didn't see you guys here, oh crap, I'm seriously so sorry, your kid shouldn't have to hear that

guy: pfft don't worry about it man, that's hockey *laughs*

guy: Who are these guys, anyways?

me: Oh, just two local beer league teams. The games are usually pretty laid back, it's not usually like this

guy: You guys have really nice jerseys

me: Thanks man

*bunch of other small talk

guy: Well enjoy the rest of the game *laughs as blood soaked players start making their way off the ice

teammate 3 minutes later: So what were you talking to Daymond Langkow about?

me: WHHHHAAATTTTT???? Oh god, I'm so stupid, I just shot the #### with an NHL player from my favorite team, who really liked, and complimented our Calgarypuck jerseys, after screaming every bad word in the book in front of his kid, and didn't even clue in to who I was talking to.

Then I looked over at him after he went to the next rink over, and people were huddled around him, and I thought "####, those people are all clammering for a second of his time, hoping he'll even just shake their hand or say "how's it goin?', and 3 minutes earlier I was watching a game with him and he was initiating all the talk, and now I feel too stupid to go running over and say "Hey Daymond, I just realized who you are!"

I think it must have been becuase I was so pissed at our game, and then so embarrased at swearing in front of his kid. But I think more than anything it was the fact he was so much shorter than I thought he'd be, and the fact that he was so personable and chatty that didn't allow myself to clue in.

Last edited by jayswin; 02-15-2011 at 08:19 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
ramizle
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have a sorta similar story to yours. A few years back I used to work at an electronic store and my manager called me to sign up a guy for Bell satellite. Went up, started talking to the guy making small talk and stuff. Went on for a while because the internet was not working properly. Then when he took out his ID for the application. "Holy ####, your Theo Fleury!" haha it was awesome. Guy is really cool even when you don't know he's Theo Fleury.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Langkow could always be one of those guys who just wants to go watch some hockey without any attention.
CampbellsTransgressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
kmad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not mine, but...

Back in 2006 or whenever Kesler was in contract negotiations, a friend of mine ran into him walking around downtown Vancouver. He walks up behind Kesler, puts his arm on Kesler's shoulder, and tells him, "Come on man, sign with us - we need you!" He told me Kesler just looked at him weird and walked away. Phoned me right away to tell me about it.

Next day Kesler signed an offer sheet with Philly.
kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kmad For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellsTransgressions View Post
Langkow could always be one of those guys who just wants to go watch some hockey without any attention.
yeah, that's what I was thinking. He probably found the honest exchange without the whole hero thing refreshing.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ahahahaha this is such a great story on so many levels.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was volunteering at the Flames Charity Golf tourney 2-3 seasons ago, I was a "hole-spotter" and I was wearing a Flames' jersey at the time and Fleury comes up to my hole.

He starts talking to me about all sorts of random stuff and then suddenly asks if I'm a Flames' prospect and if anyone's talked to the guy it's hard to tell if he's serious or sarcastic at times and that's where I made my mistake. I started talking to him as if I was a prospect making my way up to to the NHL club...and he starts complimenting me about my size (I'm somewhat tall and must look like a giant next to Theo) and says that our team could use some strength down the left side because I told him I was LW.

Not until after 10 minutes of this goofing off and I get his autograph...at which point I thought it might be obvious I was kidding...he gets my autograph and says he might as well get mine because he expects to see me make the big club one day and it could be worth something.

Seriously...still have no clue if he was kidding or not but boy it was one of those 5 minute later things where you're like, "what just happened?"
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to flamesrule_kipper34 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was visiting my grandparents in Kamsack, Saskatchewan (it must have been 2000 or 2001) and Theoren Fleury was supposed to be participating in a charity golf tournament (he's from nearby Russell, MB). He was playing for the Rangers at the time.

My Grandpa took me to Yorkton (about an hour away) that morning and I bought a Rangers jersey with some money I had saved up. Put my Flames jersey on, and headed to the golf course with both jerseys in hand to tell him we miss him in Calgary and ask for a couple autographs.

Fleury never showed up, I never got the autograph, and I gave the Rangers jersey away to my cousin. If I ever have the opportunity to meet the guy, I'll tell him that he crushed my dreams as a 13-year old kid.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Way back when Dion was in his second season here, I was working at Ashley Furniture.
He came in with his mom and his aunt, and bought a bunch of stuff for his house.
I kind of expected him to be a dick, but he was actually pretty nice...his mom and aunt were dragging him all over the store, and like any 20 year old kid, he kept begging them to leave. At one point his aunt and mom grabbed me as I was walking passed them, and I helped Dion move a couch over to a different area of the store so they could see it next to another piece of furniture. While we were carrying the couch, he apologized to me for his mom and aunt.

Still at Ashley, I had Lankow's wife come in ans buy about 10,000 worth of stuff off me. Super hot.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was 10, Mike Vernon, Robyn Regehr, and Jarome Iginla visited my school and were handing out some nice signed hockey cards. I was just learning the names of the players, so I knew who Iginla and Vernon were instantly, but thought Regehr was some scrub hockey player. I'm pretty sure he overheard me trading a friend my Regehr card for his Vernon...(but...I didn't get run over by the Tunnel of Death...so...)
Old 02-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went up to Dwayne Roloson and told him we had the same first name.

He was so impressed that we had some coolers together afterwards.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #12
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

I used to get a haircut at this little place by Southland Leisure Centre. I think I was around 12 at the time. While waiting for the barber to finish with her previous customer, she asked him how his golf game was going. He said he came within a stroke of making the Canadian Amateur tour. Being a pretty good golfer, I piped up and said I could probably beat him if he wanted to play a round of golf with me and he probably wasn't even very good. The guy turns around and it's Grant Fuhr.

Last edited by Frank MetaMusil; 02-15-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

hahahahhahah that's a good read. you fool.
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #14
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
hahahahhahah that's a good read. you fool.

Haha, I was going to get you out to that game, too, but I figured Mr. alwayshasplans, would have already had plans.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #15
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Haha, I was going to get you out to that game, too, but I figured Mr. alwayshasplans, would have already had plans.
ahhh thats too bad, we could have displayed our awesome talents to Mr Langkow. When was this?

A certain brother of mine is really going to enjoy this story.
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #16
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 02-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #17
schooner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was around 16 or 17 when I was working at the Okotoks rec center as a lifeguard. We did a lot of private pool parties, and the schedule would have the last name of person booking the pool. Came into work one day and read "Otto Bday Party" Didnt think much of it. All these kids show up and things just go as normal. Talked to this guy for a while. He wanted me to see what level swimming lessons to put his kid into. Then chatted with wife, who by the way was smoking hot. She casually threw out that she would get her husband to sign autographs for the staff. I was kind of confused but I didnt get a chance to ask cause I had to go into the office for something. Later on, another employee walked in, saw him, recognized him from a photo she had and instantly said, "No ####, your life guarding Joel Otto's kid's birthday." I was so dumbfounded that I had no idea. He would have been long retired by this point but even then he was built like a tank. Im about average size and felt so small beside him.
schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #18
robocop
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I played with Theo's and Lanny's kids in hockey. Theo checked my dad and he slid into the net on his back once in a practice because he made fun of theo for not tying his laces while skating around on the ice. I pushed Lanny into the boards and he yelled at me when we were playing a rec game in Springbank. It was pretty cool lacing up beside Theo before a game and he's sitting there giving his son hockey advice. That's all I got.

Last edited by robocop; 02-15-2011 at 09:11 PM.
robocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #19
newts
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This isn't an embarrassing player moment, and not even one that I was involved in, but is a good story nonetheless.

Embarrassing Mascot Moment

Several years ago the Flames used to have "mascot" games in between periods. The company I was working for at the time, sponsored the Flames and had 2 mascots playing in the game. We ended up sending the 2 best hockey players in the office. Although their costumes were very awkward, they still got around pretty well.

At the time, the guy who was dressed up as Harvey was a real dink. Obviously used to his costume due to the nature of his job, he was skating all over the place running the other mascots who were struggling to just stay on their feet with the extra pounds of large heads and awkward bodies. Mascots flying around all over the place, Harvey enjoying every pathetic minute of it.

At one point, Harvey gets a breakaway, and one of the guys I worked with gave chase. He caught up, but instead of trying to take the puck, he jumped on Harveys back instead, and they slid into the corner.

Just as they are wrestling around, Harveys head pops off. Immediately, the guy who's dressed up as Harvey covers his head, and sort of half turtles to hide his identity, but at the same time trying to scramble to find his head and put it back on.

Just as Harvey finds his head, our guy kicks it over to the corner and starts to pretend to whale away on Harvey while he's down. Laughs ensue, and Harvey finally gets up and skates off the ice covering his head, embarrassed and not wanting to reveal his true, pathetic identity.

So the intermission ends, and all of the mascots (except Harvey), are changing back into their street clothes in an assigned change room. Everyone is the room is having a good laugh about the incident, and then suddenly the doors burst open, and the guy who dresses up as Harvey bursts in shirtless, only wearing Harvey pants and Harvey booties.

He yells, "Who knocked my head into the corner?"

Thinking he was joking around, the guy responsible fesses up while continuing to laugh.

Guy who dresses up as Harvey runs over to him, pins him against the wall, and says, "What are you, some kind of f'n 2 bit mascot?"

Not wanting to cause a scene, our guy puts his hands up and says "Harvey, I was just joking around."

Guy dressed up as Harvey continues his tirade, when finally our guy says "Get your f'n hands off of me, Harvey!"

This was my favourite part of the whole story, because even though Harvey was out of costume and shirtless, our guy is still calling him Harvey.

Anyway, things calmed down from there.

The next mascot game, Harvey had wrapped his head in masking tape to keep his lid on.

There is a video somewhere capturing the whole on ice fiasco. I wish someone knew where it was.
newts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to newts For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #20
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I the only one who hasn't met an NHL player in person?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post: