Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:
lanny Mike Commodore, Uber Driver

http://www.tsn.ca/commodore-takes-sh...river-1.591350

Quote:
Mike Commodore has been known as many things to many people.
The guy with the big, red Afro who would shave his head for charity; the guy who wore the white bathrobe; a Stanley Cup champion; the guy who played 484 career regular-season games for seven teams over 12 years; the guy with a pathological dislike for Mike Babcock; and the guy, at times, with a funny Twitter account that popularized the hockey catchphrase #PackYourS---.
Now you can add one more: Uber driver.
The soon to be 37-year-old retired defenceman who lives in Scottsdale, Ariz., tweeted last week he had signed up to be an Uber driver. Last Friday night, from 6 to 11 p.m., he was driving people around the Valley of the Sun region in his hybrid Cadillac Escalade.
For that, he got $94 plus $5 in tips and a lot of a good conversation, as well as some entertaining tweets on Twitter.
"I'm single, I've got no kids, I was just looking for something to get me out of the house and keep me out of the bars," Commodore said earlier Monday while on his way to play golf. "I don't really do too much except play golf or go to the bar, so I figured this would be a good social thing for me.
"I don't mind driving. I like to meet people and I like to talk to people. I'll definitely do it again, one night a weekend or maybe even during the week."
Quote:
But he also quickly realized how small the world is and how that can make for interesting conversation, which is what he was after in the first place.
One of his fares were two guys and a girl from Columbus, where Commodore played 157 games over three seasons before being bought out of his five-year, $18.75-million contract.
"I asked them where they're from and they say, 'Columbus,' and I say, 'I used to live in Columbus.' They asked me what I did and I told them I played hockey. They say, 'For who?' I say, 'The Blue Jackets.' They thought I was full of s--- and asked me what years, so I told them.
"They say, 'So you know Rick Nash then?' I say, 'Yeah, Rick is a good friend.' They say, 'What about Jared Boll?' I say, 'Yeah, I know Jared...I can do the whole roster if you like. Why don't you just look me up?'"
And that they did.
Later that evening, Commodore was driving six teenage girls to a function when one of them asked where he was from. He told them he was Canadian. They asked if he played hockey.
"As a matter of fact I did," he told them.
Quote:
One of the girls asked Commodore if he'd ever heard of her uncle, Doug Weight.
"I told her not only do I know Dougie but I played with him [in Carolina]," he said. "They didn't believe me at first and I told her to call Dougie, which she did, but he didn't pick up. I think the Islanders were playing Friday night."
They were, actually, against the Arizona Coyotes in Brooklyn, as fate would have it.
"It was fun," Commodore said. "I enjoyed it. It's nice to meet people and talk to them in a different way."

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I will always like the guy. He was a big part of the 04 run. After the Flames landed back in Calgary after losing to Tampa, he stuck around at the airport to sign autographs.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

hilarious
Old 10-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Finally, a good thread.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always liked Commodore, wish he would stop defending Raffi Torres though.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:24 PM   #6
Iniggywetrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Guys twitter account is hilarious.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #7
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

He also played in Japan didn't he? I thought someone here posted a link to a blog he was doing from Japan.
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:43 PM   #8
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think dropping Commodore, Conroy, Nieminen and Lydman by Sutter after the 04 run completely changed the team culture, and was probably responsible for us losing the potential to repeat our challenge for the SC.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #9
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

the thing that really struck me is this:

Quote:
"I'm single, I've got no kids, I was just looking for something to get me out of the house and keep me out of the bars," Commodore said earlier Monday while on his way to play golf. "I don't really do too much except play golf or go to the bar, so I figured this would be a good social thing for me.
I imagine life can get pretty dull when you're an athlete for ~20 years and suddenly it's all over. Most probably have a great family system to rely upon, but I'm sure this adjustment to post-hockey can be a big shock to some of those guys.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #10
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he's that bored, someone should get him to join CalgaryPuck!
Old 10-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #11
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I think dropping Commodore, Conroy, Nieminen and Lydman by Sutter after the 04 run completely changed the team culture, and was probably responsible for us losing the potential to repeat our challenge for the SC.
It was an interesting dynamic, a brutally punishing team to play against with how heavy they were hitting.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #12
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Guess he needed a change after being a passenger in his hockey career.

Thanks, I'll be here all week. Remember to tip your waitress.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 10:06 PM   #13
jonesy
First Line Centre

Exp:

That was mean spirited
Old 10-25-2016, 12:07 AM   #14
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
Lydman didn't play until Game2 of the finals and was far from vital to that run.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:58 AM   #15
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Lydman didn't play until Game2 of the finals and was far from vital to that run.
True. That being said, he was an excellent blueliner, who went on to two consecutive conference finals with Sabres in the next two seasons. Was leading sabres in time on ice in one of those runs. Losing him was a blow.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #16
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
True. That being said, he was an excellent blueliner, who went on to two consecutive conference finals with Sabres in the next two seasons. Was leading sabres in time on ice in one of those runs. Losing him was a blow.
Yeah, Sutter really underestimated the defensemen he gave away during that period. In retrospect, he should have kept Lydman, Commodore, Ferrence etc and moved Dion when his value was sky high for the center the Flames desperately needed.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 12:42 PM   #17
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thats brilliant! Way to go Commie.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #18
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
I will always like the guy. He was a big part of the 04 run. After the Flames landed back in Calgary after losing to Tampa, he stuck around at the airport to sign autographs.
That was great! As I was leaving, I heard someone tell "let's take Mike Commodore out for breakfast!". I always wondered if they did.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:10 PM   #19
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
Didn't Sutter insinuate something about Lydman like he wasn't as hurt as he said he was (which is why he traded him)
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #20
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniggywetrust View Post
Guys twitter account is hilarious.
He goes off on Babcock sometimes. He really hates Babcock.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote