Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #101
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not even sure it's the coach or the system.

It's just that the star players have been terrible.

Gaudreau and Monahan look lost in both ends of the rink.

Giordano and Hamilton both are making terrible decisions and taking bad penalties.

Brodie has not looked like himself and is really fighting the puck.

Until the top players play at even 75% of their capability we are going to look like an AHL team.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #102
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

With Bollig, Smid, Wideman, Engelland and Grossman gone next year, that is 13.5 in cap space that needs to be well spent. No more Grossman signings.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #103
danimal
Draft Pick

I'm still trying to figure out how a guy can be only the 2nd coach to take the team past the first round of the playoffs in 26 years,, winning the coach of the year award in the process, and then a year later he's fired for not being "relatable" to younger players. He sent a few guys home for showing up hungover to practice after the Super Bowl and their feelings were hurt. Boo-hoo.

I was a big Hartley fan and saw nothing wrong with what he was doing. Replacing him with a rookie head coach was the wrong move in my opinion. I know a guy has to start somewhere but why does it always have to be Calgary? It's never worked out before (Gilbert, Button, Hay, even Dave King to a degree.)

Last edited by danimal; 10-25-2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Left something out
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #104
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Whiny Thread is Whiny.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #105
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how a guy can be only the 2nd coach to take the team past the first round of the playoffs in 26 years,, winning the coach of the year award in the process, and then a year later he's fired for not being "relatable" to younger players. He sent a few guys home for showing up hungover to practice after the Super Bowl and their feelings were hurt. Boo-hoo.

I was a big Hartley fan and saw nothing wrong with what he was doing. Replacing him with a rookie head coach was the wrong move in my opinion. I know a guy has to start somewhere but why does it always have to be Calgary? It's never worked out before (Gilbert, Button, Hay, even Dave King to a degree.)
I think last year proved a lot of the talking heads right, the system wasn't sustainable in today's NHL. Even if you hate all the advanced stats, the problem is that stats are correct over the long term. Other coaches learned how Hartley's system worked and found ways to defend against it while Bob didn't seem to adjust his system much to adapt. The run and gun style with no possession worked because no one was expecting it, but failed once the word got out and he did nothing to fix that.

Also he wasn't BT's guy, he was Feaster's. I think that's a big thing for a GM especially as the team starts to progress beyond the rebuild. He was building the team based on a style of hockey and I don't know that Hartley was the guy to coach that style.

Plus GG isn't a rookie coach, he had 130 games under his belt with Dallas. Not as experienced as a Bob Hartley but not the guy's first time behind an NHL bench. (And Don Hay had a year in Phx, Button was never coach)

Good move? Yet to be determined, but it makes sense from more than just a "players upset cause Dad was mean" point of view.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #106
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
I think last year proved a lot of the talking heads right, the system wasn't sustainable in today's NHL. Even if you hate all the advanced stats, the problem is that stats are correct over the long term. Other coaches learned how Hartley's system worked and found ways to defend against it while Bob didn't seem to adjust his system much to adapt. The run and gun style with no possession worked because no one was expecting it, but failed once the word got out and he did nothing to fix that.
We were still top 10 in scoring (6th I think?). If that's the best that teams can adapt to your system, can't be an awful system.

It was our historically bad goaltending that turfed the season.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #107
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
We were still top 10 in scoring (6th I think?). If that's the best that teams can adapt to your system, can't be an awful system.

It was our historically bad goaltending that turfed the season.
And complete lack of anything resembling a defensive system. Block and pray really didn't work. We could have scored 5 goals a game but if we gave up 6 you aren't playing good hockey, and there comes a point when you can't lay it all on the goalies.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #108
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #109
danimal
Draft Pick

oops
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote